Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: H.M.C.S. SACKVILLE  (Read 2493 times)

Franklin

H.M.C.S. SACKVILLE
« on: January 02, 2008, 11:58:27 pm »

**This was my first project about ten years ago, H.M.C.S. SACKVILLE. She is constructed plank on frame and the hull is covered with 010'' aluminum plate to get the effect of the original hull. The hull weathering was produced using model railway paint. She is completely scratch built to the scale of 1/32" to one f.t. I was very lucky to have access to the restored Sackville with has been rebuilt to its original ww2 configuration. The model now resides in the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic.

Cheers
Franklin

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: H.M.C.S. SACKVILLE
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008, 12:02:57 am »

Excellent job Franklin!   O0
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Powered Boat Mouldings

• Full Mayhemer
    • PBM + HSL Mouldings
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2008, 05:25:47 pm »

Hi
  looks good to me to. O0

Regards Rob

barryfoote

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2008, 06:41:05 pm »

She has either been on a very long and difficult cruise or some skipper could be in a spot of bother for maintenance failure.

A BEAUTY..

Barry

Powered Boat Mouldings

• Full Mayhemer
    • PBM + HSL Mouldings
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2008, 10:16:20 pm »

Hi Footski
             I may be opening a hornets nest here ::), but I beleive they did get a battering from the elements combined with the time some convoys took to cross the atlantic and then a quick turn around, these boats did end up looking like being close to scrapping. :( Add in to the equasion they weren't capitol ships they tended to be treated like coastal forces ( second best).
Please anyone out there correct me if I am wrong, thats what this forum is all about.

Regards and taking cover Rob.

barryfoote

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2008, 10:22:25 pm »

No need to take cover Rob. The weathering job is excellent.

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2008, 10:53:53 pm »

PBM,
My late uncle was on the flowers on the Murmansk run.
Very little maintenance and hard worked workhorses.
Oh yes and messdecks almost permanently under 6 inches of water!!

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Franklin

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2008, 12:13:05 am »

***The following is an excerpt from the book the Triangle run:

>She had come upon it unexpectedly, on a snowy January Morning south of Cape Race Newfoundland, a solitary lifeboat with six occupants sitting upright in their seats.There was no movement,no shout or sound of any kind. Two of the destroyers sailors had to jump aboard to secure it along side.In addition to the six men still sitting motionless in their seats we could see there were a further six men lying on the bottom boards, but closer examination showed that they were dead covered with ice from freezing spray. The remaining six were in little better condition. All were frost bitten; Some were frozen to their seats where they sat. One in particular drew horrified gasps from the onlookers. He had managed to clothe himself only with a short coat; from the waist down he was naked, his lower torso and legs as black as coal and covered with a thin sheet of ice - and yet he lived, his eyes rolling upward in mute appeal. Sitting in the stern sheets, his hand frozen to the tiller sat a giant of a man, He was incapable of speech and had to be pryed from boat. The Corvette they called home had been torpedoed and thirty eight survivors crowded into two life boats. In mountainous seas one boat disappeared: the other had drifted for four days in blizzard conditions,they simply died and froze where they sat or lay>

**To me Model building is a celebration of the Ship, the crew that sailed in them and the good times and bad they had to endure. The purpose of the above passage is to illustrate whether they served in a Corvette, Capital Ship or Rowboat;      Does it really matter???

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.154 seconds with 22 queries.