Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Foundation Franklin Artifacts  (Read 2299 times)

Franklin

Foundation Franklin Artifacts
« on: January 01, 2008, 01:06:09 am »

Hello All, I found a few photos that may be of some interest, A memorial plaque placed at dockside in Halifax Nova Scotia and Franklins Engine Room and Bridge Clocks.

Have a great New year

Franklin

Mr Andy

Re: Foundation Franklin Artifacts
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2008, 09:51:02 pm »

And I understand her bell hangs in an office by her former harbour.

Andy. :)

Franklin

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2008, 01:48:55 am »

Hello Andy, I haven't seen the Bell but as you say it hangs in the dock office where the ship used to tie up. I will have to see if i can get a photo of it. My family has a small connection to the Franklin in that my grandfather was working along the docks at the time the ship was being scrapped and a friend of his was able to take possesion of the wireless shack. He wanted it for a garden shed. While transporting it to his home he found that due to the overhead power lines which were quite low in those days he could go no farther than my grand fathers home. So grandfather became the owner of the wireless shack. My brother remembers playing as a child in the little shed with the round windows (Portholes). I new nothing of the story until i built the Franklin.

Cheers
Franklin

Mr Andy

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2008, 05:06:34 pm »

Does the radio shack still survive? And have you read the book Grey Sea Under I will be very surprised if you say no. Brilliant book story told so well, and your model well speaks for herself.

All the best Andy. :)

Franklin

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2008, 09:52:50 pm »

Hello Andy, Unfortunatley my grandfathers home was sold quite a few years ago and there have been quite a few changes on the property and the Wireless Shack is long gone. I remember it vaugley as a child in the mid sixties when i was about 5 or 6 years old. I believe it was painted white at the time. The second engineer on the ship Reginald Porier was grandfather to a good friend of mine, He may have some things of interest i can post on the site so i will see what i can find out. I am going to speak to my aunt to see if she has any photos of the property as i would like to have photos of it also. I do know that the Hull of the Franklin spent its last days in the Halifax City dump and was still there around 1960.Yes i have read the book a number of times and never seem to tire of it.

If i get anything new i will be sure to post it.

Franklin

Ron1

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2008, 10:53:37 pm »

From where did you get the drawings to build your Franklin.

Franklin

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2008, 12:42:59 am »

Hello Ron, The plans that i have were drawn by David Walker. He developed the plans with assistence from the Maritime Mueseum of the Atlantic and ECTUG, formally Foundation Maritime who operated the Franklin. Up until a few years ago Foundation Maritime still had a office in the area which i visited and they were kind enough to let me have some old photos. The plans are available at a Toronto hobby shop for $25.00 drawn to the scale of 1/8" to one f.t. Check out the link below.
I am having a close look at you model to assist  in finishing up. Very nice job on your tug. It looks great built to a large scale.

http://hobcen.wordpress.com/vanguard-plans/

Cheers
Franklin

Ron1

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2008, 02:35:31 pm »

Hi Franklin, I built my FF in 1986, there was very little on this vessel, the company had nothing only the one photo which they sent to me.
My friend had a few pages from SEA BREEZES and I got the rib profiles from a well known  editor of ships monthly, I then did my own drawings in 1989 and have passed them on to people around the world.
My model was featured on the front cover of R/C Boat Modeller after we did a 24 hr sail to raise money for the RNLI, Foundation Maritime sent 50 Canadian dollars for sponcership, we covered 31 miles, the model is still in my garage, all 82 inches of it,
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 20 queries.