Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mantua Trotamares build  (Read 8809 times)

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
Mantua Trotamares build
« on: January 02, 2008, 06:04:46 pm »

When I was at the IBMS in November I saw a couple of models of Trotamares – a Mantua Models kit which took my eye as a different type of model. One at least had been converted to RC, and as Mantua had a kit on their stand I bought it with the intention of also converting it.  Photo 1 is of the model at Leamington – you can just see the deck has been cut out under the wheelhouse to provide access.

When I came to dry assemble the keel and bulkheads, I realised this conversion was not going to be possible for someone with my limited woodworking skills! Given the ‘egg box’ style of construction seen in photo 2, it would have meant a serious re-working of the hull which I didn’t feel capable of achieving. I am therefore constructing it as the intended static model.

After assembling the hull structure and fitting the decks the next item is planking the fore and aft decks – seems a strange sequence but no doubt there is a good reason! Photo 3 shows this almost completed.

Now for the hull planking. With this kit Mantua supply two options for the first planking – the usual Lime or alternatively Balsa. I plan to use the latter as it should take the required bends more easily.

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Mantua Trotamares build
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2008, 04:42:37 pm »

OK, so I was wrong about the balsa :(

It didn't take the curves very well - it was too brittle. Trying to use the 'nipper' type of plank bending tool didn't help either, as the balsa was too soft and just deformed. Another problem I encountered was that the pins wouldn't hold unless pushed fully in - and trying to do this with a pin pusher, damaged the balsa. So all in all I think I would have been better off using the lime. ???

I now need to smooth the planking, fill the holes and get ready for the second planking.

Barrie

barryfoote

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 06:29:38 pm »

Barrie,

Dont worry too much about that first planking. It is basically there to give support and a little strentgh. Just sand it down well and concentrate on geting the second planking right. The pins will stay in better and you should be able to utilise more clamps to support it while drying.

Keep the photos coming.

Barry

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2008, 03:50:47 pm »

OK, after two days sanding and filling the first planking I started the second planking. It's not going to be easy :( In order to get round the stern the strips need to be soaked. That means they have to dry before they can be glued, then need lots of tape, clamps and pins to hold. This means that I only managed about 4 planks today. I think I might have to pin the planks and leave the pins in. The top few rows are supposed to be varnished, so I have been trying to avoid this. The lower part of the hull is to be painted so it doesn't matter so much when I get there.

Whilst waiting for things to dry I have been working on some of the fittings.

Barrie

barryfoote

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2008, 04:13:14 pm »

Hi Barriew,

She is coming on a treat but why wait for the planks to dry before glueing them. I have planled many ships and as long as you are using a good wood glue, it matters not that the planks are wet. Much asier to position and you will find the glue drys just as well. Give it a go. Life will be easier.

Barry

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2008, 04:40:28 pm »

Hello there Barrie

Here's an idea, which I have used before in the past - for planking where you do not wish to have any pins/holes in the planking.   

You construct 3-4 of these square 'picture frames' , so that they slip over your hull; you space them out roughly about 2 inches apart.  You then secure them onto some wooden battens on the bottom of the frames.   

The frames are then held vertical and square and will not move.   You slide your hull through the centre; as per drawing - and on the opposite side to which you are going to plank, you put packing pieces in.

Then, you may proceed to put your plank onto the hull and hold it in place with a pusher stick, which is clamped to the 'picture frame'.   Obviously, the more 'picture frames' you use the better, and this will also allow you to put a plank on wet.

Word of caution though; if you have removed your deck support frames from the ribs; you may have to put 'temporary' strengthening across the width of the hull on the inside.

Hope this is of some help.

aye
john e
bluebird
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2008, 06:23:03 pm »

Hi Barriew,

She is coming on a treat but why wait for the planks to dry before glueing them. I have planled many ships and as long as you are using a good wood glue, it matters not that the planks are wet. Much asier to position and you will find the glue drys just as well. Give it a go. Life will be easier.

Barry
Barry,

I was speaking from experience! The first couple of planks I tried to glue wet, but they didn't stick! I am using an aliphatic wood glue as recommended by Mantua. Its fresh - only just got it :)

Thanks John, if things become desperate I'll give it a try - all the frames are still intact as this is going to be a static model.

Barrie

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2008, 03:40:45 pm »

Well. the planking is finished. It's not turned out too bad - at least until I start sanding :)

Barrie

barryfoote

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2008, 06:06:03 pm »

Barrie

That looks fine. Problems when sanding? What problems?. Lets have a look at her as she is then so we can comment. The planking looks great.

Barry

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2008, 03:52:20 pm »

OK, sanding finished. I filled some of the gaps with a home made filler consisting of sawdust and pva. Its left some stains, but they are on the area to be painted. Final picture show result of quick coat of varnish. I used varnish as I don't have any sanding sealer and it will be next week before I can get some. This was just to let me see more clearly where I need to do some more work. As I say, only about the top 1.5 inches will be varnished, the remainder painted.

Barrie

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2008, 12:45:22 pm »

Finished the deck planking and moved on to painting the hull. In fact the instructions say to just seal the planking at this stage and paint it later. That doesn't seem sensible after the superstructure and mast are on, so I'm doing it now ;)  My first attempt - quick airbrush with mat white - showed up all the errors in the planking, so I stripped it off and filled the lower hull which will all be painted.

Barrie

barryfoote

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2008, 01:45:00 pm »

Coming on a treat Barrie.

I am sure that your patience will pay off. If not happy with something, don't accept it. Do it again and it really seems to be paying dividends. Can't wait to see more of her.

barry

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2008, 04:00:57 pm »

I had some problems with the first attempt at painting after the filling, paint crazed, so stripped it off again and try a coat of Halfords primer. Hopefully that will be OK, and I may not need to apply any white paint. We'll see tomorrow - too cold for more time in the shed today.

Barrie

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2008, 04:14:44 pm »

Hi all, I saw the same model and fancied it but decided it needed to be a little larger and have the sails working.
By the way the cure for pin holes in planking is to put a drop of water on the hole.  As the wood has only been compressed outwards the water allows it to go back to normal and fill the hole up.
regards Roy

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2008, 09:31:34 am »

Roy,

Thanks for the tip - the real problem was my poor planking and the gaps between planks that were far from scale :) As that part of the hull was to be painted I decided the easy way out was filler.

I was a little disappointed at not being able to motorise it - should have bought the Bruma for which Mantua sell a motor kit :(

Barrie

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2008, 03:29:30 pm »

Hull is now painted and varnished - tomorrow when its dry I can start attaching the fittings etc.  The masts and spars are all ready to be fitted, not much left to 'build' now, just a question of sticking everything on! I hope to have it finished by Sunday evening as I am off to Menorca for two weeks starting Tuesday ;D

Barrie

barryfoote

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2008, 07:41:25 am »

A cracking paint job Barrie,

Looking forward to more before you fly off to the sun.

Barry( Already in the sun) :D {-)

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2008, 10:20:24 am »

I think the photos flatter it, but it will do. If it was a sailing model I think I would have spent more time to get it right, but as I suspect it will disappear into the loft very soon after it is built, its OK ;)

I hope to finish it before I go, but some gardening is called for today as it isn't raining, sleeting or snowing at the moment, and some trees need surgery :D

Barrie

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2008, 03:56:18 pm »

Getting there now - next job is to fix the masts in place, then the rigging. I think that will just leave some bits and pieces to paint and fit when I get back from my holiday.

Barrie

barryfoote

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2008, 06:45:09 pm »

I like it Barry but do something with that flag. O0
 Warm water with plenty of sugar in it. Soak the flag and then fold it so it hangs realistically. When dry you have a perfectly hung flag. If you are not happy with it, simply re wet it and fold again.

Barry

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2008, 02:35:00 pm »

I'll sort out the flag when I put the finishing touches to the boat. Just some fittings and fenders to fit now. I may get it done tomorrow as we don't leave until 3pm, and we've been packed for a week ;D Just going to lovely Luton ready for an early flight on Tuesday morning.

Barrie

barryfoote

« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2008, 06:04:33 pm »

Barriew

Have a great holiday and remember the order is "dos cervesas grandes por favor" or dos vinos tintos".

Either way, it shouold be good.

Barry

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2008, 09:20:46 am »

Thanks for the Spanish lesson Footski - might come in handy :D.

Barrie

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2008, 04:51:07 pm »

OK, back from hols - thanks for the lesson Footski, came in handy ;D - here is the final photo. Quite pleased with the result - pity it wont be seen on the water, but quite decorative.

Now its time to decide on the next project - I thought I was going to be restoring an Aerokits Fireboat, but the owner has decided not to go ahead. I hope to build LULONGA - a stern wheel paddle steamer, but it depends on whether or not I can make acceptable (to me) paddle wheels. I could use the Graupner ones, but I don't think they look correct on this model.

Barrie
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.157 seconds with 22 queries.