Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Re: TUG CERVIA HULL BUILD by Bluebird - Q & A and comments....  (Read 9379 times)

sinjon

• Sinjon
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Model Bioat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
Re: TUG CERVIA HULL BUILD by Bluebird - Q & A and comments....
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2008, 04:02:36 pm »

Hello John,

Following your build with great interest, and not a little awe. ,I wonder if it is possible to put it into 'page' format, so that it could be downloaded and put into a folder.
 I am building a Bluenose, so I was interested in your planking technique, very helpful. However I have always struggled with the tweezers and tiny hammer.
 This time I have purchased a 'Miniature Pin Pusher' from Squires, (page72/73) you load a tiny brass pin, (7mm) into a hollow tube, place into position on the plank, and gently push the handle down and squeeze the pin in, all with just one hand. Honestly it is so easy, I really have enjoyed this part of the build, even allows you to pull the plank in tight with the 'spare' hand, in the past I always needed three hands, one for the hammer, one for the tweezers, and one to squeeze the plank up tight - every home should have one.

Love the build.
 Colin
Colin

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2008, 04:28:04 pm »

hello there Colin

glad you like the build  O0  and I have often thought of treating myself to one of those mini pin pushers - I have the Squires catalogue and I believe they are in there  ;D O0

I have no objection to anyone copying this (if they think its good enough) - perhaps a good idea to copy and paste it onto a word document.   It may be excellent 'toilet' reading material  ??? and when one has finished reading it, you know what else it will be good for, make sure its printed on soft paper  :D :D

Suggestion - there are other methods of planking a hull, as you will all know, to which may be covered by someone in a later build  ;D :o

aye
john e
bluebird
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2008, 10:15:26 am »

I have been asked what materials are best to use for planking, and, this is the way I think, of course once again, others may think differently.   

In this type of build; the planking material depends on the person who is doing the planking, and, of course what materials are available to them.  Whatever material one is working with and can achieve the best results with - (because the material surface will be covered with a layer of either polyester resin and tissue mat or if one desires an epoxy resin), which forms a barrier and also adds strength to the planking material ;, also, when finished produces an extremely good surface to apply our finished paints too.

aye
john

Ron1

« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2008, 10:27:29 am »

Well John at least someone is showing how it should be done, O0 O0

Tom Eccles

« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2008, 08:13:04 pm »

Hi John,

I have to say this.  You have an amazing talent for explaining in detail items that are maybe second nature to you but when seen by people like me are always accompanied by flashing lights and klaxons!.

Looking back through the planking section of the build I happened upon your notes on the bulwark capping. I have been worrying at this very problem for ages on my Cruiser Tug and your explanation of the plate stiffening (which cleverly adds thickness and support just where needed) has solved my problem. I had thought of this as a solution all by myself but was not sure that it would be acceptable to purists. Now that I have seen you using this technique I can relax.

Thank you again for a marvellous and truly informative build.

Regards

Clegg

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2008, 06:29:51 pm »

If anyone is interested I have copied all the posts up to completion of the hull and put them into 2 Word documents, with pictures, so that I can keep them and refer to them away from the PC. They are quite large even as PDFs, but I am happy to e-mail to anyone who would like a copy. I will probably complete the whole thing when Bluebird has finished the superstructure.

Send me a PM with your e-mail address.

Barrie

Martin13

« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2008, 10:57:16 pm »

John,

Dumb Question No. 266

Why do you build a kit Speed Controller over purchasing a ready to go unit ??? ??? ???

Martin doon under

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is the best model boat site
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2008, 07:24:38 am »

Hi Barrie  O0

Thanks for the PDF files of John's build and have now put them on CD/DVD.

Look forward to the final part.

Martin

riggers24

• Full Mayhemer
  • Just full of stupid questions
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2008, 10:23:37 am »

John,

Dumb Question No. 266

Why do you build a kit Speed Controller over purchasing a ready to go unit ??? ??? ???

Martin doon under

I am not saying John is tight with his money but if you stuck a lump of coal where the sun don't shine he would turn it to a diamond {-)
I will finish the crash tender someday - Still got tooo many toys to play with

Brian_C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2008, 11:36:49 am »

I am not saying John is tight with his money but if you stuck a lump of coal where the sun don't shine he would turn it to a diamond                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        ooh riggers,,,  {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-)  :angel:

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2008, 05:31:42 pm »

Martin 13, hi there, one of the main reasons I prefer to build a kit build;

Apart from the pure enjoyment of building the electronic kit  :) also, as I have stated; 90% of us can be heavy-handed when things go wrong; if and when things do go wrong with the speed controller, you have a good chance of putting it right or having it put right - than you do a 'sealed' pre-purchased one.    Some of the pre-made ones are 'sealed' and there is no chance of doing anything with them yourself when they go wrong.  :P   Sometimes, it costs you an arm and a leg to get it repaired and I would rather put my money into materials for my SCRATCH BUILDING Riggers
 {-) {-) {-) {-) {-)

AYE
john e
bluebird

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2008, 07:16:28 pm »

I agree with John - building your own is that little bit of extra work, and a lot of extra satisfaction. Of course being a Yorkshireman, the saving of a few pennies also come into it {-)

Barrie

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is the best model boat site
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2008, 06:36:03 pm »

The way prices of modelling gear has gone i feel I have to be tight  :'(

Diamons are forever forever

Billyruffian

« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2008, 03:44:46 pm »

Fascinating and intuitive step by step build.  Just what I am looking for as I am about to embark on my first scratch build.

I had intended to go with a TID but with the hull being hard chine then perhaps with those corners, it may be best to try that one next.

I do like the idea of using shadow frames.  I gues there would be no problem in adapting your build to using shadow frames?

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2008, 07:36:10 pm »

Billy, hi there

Could you please send me via a pm your email address please?    my next build - may be able to help you in deciding whether you want to build a TID tug, because, planking a chined hull diagonally is a lot easier than you think  :D :D

aye
yours
John
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 21 queries.