Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Fire Boat but who's is it ??????  (Read 8734 times)

Stavros

Fire Boat but who's is it ??????
« on: January 03, 2008, 11:04:43 pm »

Hi i acquired this Fire Boat form a good friend as a Xmas Pressie with the strict understanding that if I sold it he was to have first refusal!!! Anyway whose hull is it All I know about it is that it was bought on Ebay form the Luton area? and it is Plank on frame,what I want to know is what plan has it been built to and what Fire boat is it modeled on.
Before I started on it it had twin props fitted and 4 rudders,Three water cannons and a pump and it was red!!!
So the restoration began,unfortunately whoever built it decided not to GRP the inside but used silicone sealer and made a right pigs ear of it so I have spent three nights with a heat gun ,dremel with wire brushes to get it to this state.The filler that you see in the last piccie was covering the prop tube and has to go so I can fully GRP the inside to give it some strength so I can sand the outer hull.Obviously some of the planks will have to be removed to repair the damage that happend when the deck was removed my fault >>:-(.After this is done I will grp to strengthen and carry on with the build,or is it a nervous breakdown.

Stavros

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Fire Boat but who's is it ??????
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008, 11:32:20 pm »

hi  Stavros it may possibley be Fireboat 39

plan MM1373

aye

john e
bluebird
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

Stavros

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2008, 11:36:04 pm »

John you are a STAR I will have to get that plan I knew I had seen it somewhere cheers

Stavros

Stavros

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2008, 11:43:47 pm »

Progress so far is as follows hull stripped out and grp applied on the inside new superstructure built more piccies to follow,hull is now ready for rubbing down filling etc

Stavros

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2008, 11:39:37 pm »

looking tidy stavros :)
Go Nuclear!  you'll love it

Stavros

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2008, 06:48:23 pm »

Got on today with window frames,built a sliding door using brass channel for the slides,railings on the aft superstructure were made form brass rod and a set of ladders were also constructed from brass

Stavros

MTB

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2008, 06:41:03 am »

:o not being rude stavros but i think you should give your friend a frw lessons inhow to buy from ebay or better still how to build model boats. is he trying to krreep youhome nights or something.  theres an awful lot of work needed to make that safe and secure me tinks would guesss tht the paint is all thats holding that together.roy

Stavros

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2008, 06:47:52 pm »

I could not agree more(deal with you when I see you Barty230!!!!!)The amount of work now needed is not that great believe it or not.The hull has been bath tested fro 24hrs with 412v batts in it and it did not leak.The inside has now been grp + tissue so it is now strong,the paintwork is ion the process of being rubbed down and yes it will need some filler here and there to get rid of the low spots,when this is done I will then install the shafts and then paint it.There is probably around 100 hrs work left so time will tell what looks like etc watch this space

Stavros

Stavros

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2008, 05:35:52 pm »

Right them me been busy hull has been rubbed down filled and primer applied.
Next job was the rudders which I made myself,motors and shafts installed
Fire monitor pump and inlet and rear deck were epoxied in
Main deck has been glued down and rubbed to the hull sides

Hull in the process of being rubbed down with 60grit discs
As above
A full coat of easy lite filer was applied rubbed down with 80 grit second layer as necessary
Primer filler applied
Primer applied
Rudder assembly
Rudders andshafts
Servo and linkage

Stavros

Stavros

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2008, 05:40:56 pm »

Motors
Deck being held down by loads of batts
Hull stbd side
Front fire cannon
Front view
View from sternRear hatch opening
Port view

Stavros

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2008, 11:38:55 pm »

Stav,
Looking good, but you not fitting 2 x 850's in her!!!

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Stavros

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2008, 05:16:16 pm »

We will see, Baldric I have a master plan 2x700bb turbo's sat on shelf if those motors dont make it go like speedy boat O0

Stavros

Stavros

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2008, 07:53:21 pm »

Well spent the day connecting those wonderful products from our man from Action today and NO FLJ I did not blow a dammed thing up which made a refreshing change.
Anyone who has used Action products will know how good they are others who haven't like me till today WELL YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU ARE MISSING Distribution board...............AWSOME,switchers ....................what can I say,ESC.................smooth as a baby's bottom.
Well I must confess to one little mishap,I should have known better than to put a second hand washer pump in the boat without testing it,so when I came to try the switcher nothing happened and yes it was my fault.Now me got to strip out the mounting plate to get at the ruddy thing >>:-(,oh what fun we have.

Stavros

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2008, 08:52:23 pm »

Phew..................!
FLJ  8)

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2008, 04:03:45 pm »

Wow !!  that's something and a half, Stavros.  Looks great. Very tidy wiring, I'm impressed.  O0

How may boats are you bringing to Wickstead ?

Ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Stavros

« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2008, 05:49:31 pm »

Don't know yet this one definatly TiD,H Hunter Paula 3 couple of springers and  TERRORIST BOAT(top secret would have to lill you if I told you but it involves 2x700bbturbos and watch this thing fly)

Stavros

Stavros

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2008, 06:02:50 pm »

Whats been happening well a heck of a lot.Now me being me dropped a real clanger dint i FLJ ;)It could be said i dropped a clanger one Hell of a one as well,lost the switching points of the switcher BUT worse of all BLEW up the Action sound system thankfully we have a genius on this site FLJ who came to me rescue,THANKS DAVE I OWE YOU ONE.how did I manage it EASY trying to do too many jobs at once had 4 diagrams in front of me balancing on the hull guess what they fell put them back UNFORTUANTLY  i turned one around and wired it up wrongly and the rest was history,EASILY DONE.Lesson learnt YES what do I do now made a board to put the dammed things on so they cant ruddy well fall.
Right enough of that well the hull was reprimed with high build primer rubbed down with 180 grit wet dry,primed again with grey primer rubbed down with 400 grit reprimed this time using red primer and rubbed with 800 grit.The whole hull was then coated with 12 coats of red to it's final colour and boy does it look good even though I say it myself.
The action modules that I BLEW up have now been reinstalled and boy oh boy is it super loud.
Bath tested it and found the trim was spot on no extra ballast needed,total fluke.Tested the water cannons out all 6 of them poor dog decided to see what was happening in the bath and got soaked for his trouble he he,watch out for a certain fire boat at Wickstead you might get WET.
Maiden voyage tomorrow at LLanberis DIVER ON STANDBY,cant loose that little lot can I FLJ.
Pictures of her sailing and not sinking .......I hope tomorrow

Stavros

Pictures are as follows

Bow monitor
Rear monitors
Lights on
""""""""""
""""""""""
FLJ on inspection

Stavros

« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2008, 06:04:54 pm »

FLJ ACTUALLY DOING SOME WORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It's that man again
He wont go home
Side on

Welsh_Druid

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2008, 03:45:26 pm »

Well folks it sailed today - I'll leave Stavros to give you the details (if he dare :D) but here's some photos.

Don B.

Stavros

« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2008, 04:56:16 pm »

Dare I comment on how it went well one word can describe today DISASTEROUS
Went 10 feet and blew the motor fuses,back to the drawing board part 1
fitted 20 amp fuses in the motors ......................................................2
It then decided to blow the main distribution board fuse........................3
Fitted 30 amper guess what it blew that as well....................................4
Had fag or was it 2or 3 cursed my mate Barty 230 god knows why but I did.Welsh druid took off his 35mm props from his Pegasus and I think by now it is round 10 or is it 15 lost count!!!!!!!! off we went again hey no blown fuses.The props that I had before were 50mm so next week going to try 40/45mm to see how many fuses I can blow.The good thing that of course came out of this is that EVERYTHING worked,sound system 10/10,mixer Aw some switcher spot on.The only real problem is the pump for the monitors I will have to fit a one way valve to stop water going out of the pump as it is a right swine to prime but that is a technicality,as they say watch this space.
Thanks must go to Welsh Druid for the photos now do I moderate that LAST PICTURE OR NOT

Stavros

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2008, 05:12:08 pm »

Stav,
Who is the womble stealing your pride and joy.
Yep the one in wellies and shades.
Hope you got your boat back!!

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2008, 05:15:47 pm »

Stav,
What motors and props are you using?
You still on the plastic props?
Seems an awful lot of amps to be pulling on that set up?
You using 6 or 12 volts?

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Stavros

« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2008, 05:47:30 pm »

Motors are MFA 540's props 50mm 2 bladers.

I think I will DEFINATLY change them for either Protech 550 or Graupener 600bb Turbos,they should be ok Hopefully

Stavros

Welsh_Druid

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2008, 07:14:59 pm »

Stavros

In my opinion there's nothing wrong with the present  setup except the props !!!  When we changed to the 35 mm two blade the boat went just fine and the current must have been much less - certainly the fuses were OK and the motors were only just warm when I touched them. 

The boat speed - even into the big waves further out from the bank was good. I think that bigger motors and/or bigger props will not give much more speed (which I dont think you need anyway), but will certainly increase the current

Just put the same props on (35mm two blade) which I lent you today and all will be fine.

Well thats what I think anyway  ;)

Don   

Stavros

« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2008, 07:19:31 pm »

Don something I have found out those motors draw a heck of a current and not only that but the one that I ma putting in The Protech will only draw 3amps full load and the 600BB turbos would draw 7amps plus what one has to remember is that both motors will only rev to 12000rpm and not 15500 rpm as before.I have had another suggestion from someone else as well.Will be checking current consumption in the bath tomorrow via ammeter should be interesting to say the least

Stavros
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 22 queries.