Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fire Boat but who's is it ??????  (Read 8735 times)

Stavros

Re: Fire Boat but who's is it ??????
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2008, 10:25:23 pm »

Oh Lord no wonder the dammed fuses blew port motor just before fuse blew approx 28AMPS,Stbd motor 20Amps both with 50mm props,35mm prop Port Motor 25amps,stbd 18amps.
THOSE MOTORS HAVE GOT TO GO GO GO
will put in the Protech Motors that I haev on the shelf ASAP.
Boy oh Boy did you build some excellent esc FLJ O0

Stavros

kit1947

« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2008, 10:30:02 pm »

Being a newbie to the forum Mr Stavros, having read through your build here I would say the same as Mr Welsh Druid, that your props are either to big or have too coarse pitch on them. I had the same problem on an MTB and went from 3 blade coarse pitch to 2blade fine pitch. It worked for me.

Stavros

« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2008, 10:44:06 pm »

Fair comment but it does not explain the high amperage of the motors even with a 35mm prop way too high.I don't like running at the upper end of any make of speed controller maximum capabilities so I would rather loose around 3000rpm and run motors that only draw 3amp max.

Stavros

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2008, 10:59:18 pm »

Stav,
Those motors do have 1 use.
LANDFILL.
Is the winding wire quite thick?

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Stavros

« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2008, 10:34:03 pm »

Right progress so far taken motors out and identified the little blighter's Mabuchi 755 for sale!!!!!
Fitted Protech 500 with a max current draw of according to the bumf 2A time will tell
It's been on a diet and has lost 5lb out of the boat by fitting 2x6v10A batts instead of 2x12v7a batts so it should now ride a lot higher in the water.Round 2 on sunday

Stavros

Stavros

« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2008, 04:22:44 pm »

Been out sailing today and what a difference 7 days make,or more to the point what a difference less weight and a change of motors make!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Still got a slight issue with her the pump needs changing but THATS ALL,with loosing 6lbs in weight the hull has come up in the water around 30mm so i now have the problem of water going down ht rudder tubes so thats one less job to do all I will do now is sail and enjoy.

Stavros

Pictures are of todays sailing at LLanberis Lake

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2008, 05:17:22 pm »

Looks the badger's nadgers, Dave. I love the shot with all the monitors working. Congrats on a fine bit of work.
FLJ

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2008, 05:45:24 pm »

Blimey Stav, you DO listen!!!
Impressed with the boat, especially that quaterdeck, she looks so much better on the water, more businesslike.
Well done that man!!!

Bob
Officially a GOG.

chingdevil

« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2008, 06:50:52 pm »

Stav
Does this mean we all have to be carefull at the Mayhem Weekend, because we might get wet????

She is looking really good mate, you have done a nice job on her 8) 8)
Enjoy sailing her you deserve it, you put a lot of work into her.

Brian

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2008, 06:54:45 pm »

Wow, that's looking very nice, Dave. She can really shift the water. Looks great. Well done

Cheers...Ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Stavros

« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2008, 09:34:38 pm »

Well Lads I am REALLY Touched with your kind comments.When i first started on this I could have quite litterally killed a certain Forum member namely my m8 Barty230 who gave me this boat for Xmas.But not now and what gets me is that his words to me were if you EVER get rid of her I have first bids well Bruce you would NEVER be able to afford it COS IT'S NOT FOR SALE.WHY sheer fun factor is priceless.
And YES better watch out at Mayhem get to close and you will be wet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stavros

Barty230

• Shipmate
« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2008, 09:49:15 pm »

Told you it would be worth it !!!!!!......Does that mean you're talking to me again after all those rude things you said over the phone??????????... Seriously, nice one ...should have kept it myself....rats!!!!

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2008, 12:12:44 pm »

Hi Stavros, nice build, I am about to refurb my Aerokits Crashtender (Fireboat). How did you do the working monitors, scratch built or shop bought?, and what are you using as the main power source, lead acid or nicd/nimh? I have nimh, but just found out that out of the 4 packs I have (3300 7 cell, using 2 at a time) 2 packs are useless, so more expense. I have been told that I could use 3 6v "alarm type" lead acid 4am/h batteries, wire to get 18/v ( I can go to 19v), this will produce similar performance, I dont understand the battery/amps thing!

Many thanks

Paul

Stavros

« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2008, 10:02:11 pm »

Right then the Fire monitors are shop bought graupener ones from Red Bank models see traders directory.The water pump is from A Model world a graupener unit,I have 6 cannons working from one pump I will have to modify this to use 2 pumps simply as the 4 small cannons are not squirting enough water
Batts I use 2 x6v 10amp lead acids and a 6v yacht pack in the boat.The 6v yacht pack is for the lights and the lead acids are wired up in series to give 12 and being in series gives 20 amps of power.So therfore with you wiring up 3 6v 4 amp batts you will get 18 volts and 12 amps of power.All the electronics are as you will have seen Action and I can not PRAISE Dave Milburn enough they are the dogs dangly bits.If you want any info just ask

Stavros

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2008, 10:38:07 pm »

Thanks Stavros, I dont really understand the amp thing! Do you think that combo would give equal speed ( I want it to plane) than the 3300 nimh packs? If you where to replace your battery combo's with 2 3300 8.4v nimh packs, what would you expect to happen in comparison with your Fireboat?
I was planning converting some white metal monitors into working ones to keep the authentic look of the pumps, but it could be a lot of hard work for a bit of a drizzle, I remember that very good thread some time ago about the varying success making monitors.

On another note, I was at Betwys Coed yesterday, on the way back to Abergele with family we took "THE WRONG TURN" and suprise suprise ended up at LLanberis!! Just getting my bearings for August!, althoughI am having a few problems with my Fireboat, see posts in the wood treatment section  :'(

Thanks
Paul

Stavros

« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2008, 10:47:50 pm »

At present you would be running 16.4 volts but with 3x6v you would be running 18v so I would expect the motors to be running faster but really id depends on a few things like what motors you have and what props and not forgetting the enemy of the mode,l batt weight.When you start to look at this one thing to think about is of course lipo batts much lighter but more expensive!!!!
Did your boat plane with your present combination if yes then leave well alone

Stavros

Stavros

« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2008, 08:54:35 am »

Right then the Fire monitors are shop bought graupener ones from Red Bank models see traders directory.The water pump is from A Model world a graupener unit,I have 6 cannons working from one pump I will have to modify this to use 2 pumps simply as the 4 small cannons are not squirting enough water
Batts I use 2 x6v 10amp lead acids and a 6v yacht pack in the boat.The 6v yacht pack is for the lights and the lead acids are wired up in series to give 12 and being in series gives 20 amps of power.So therfore with you wiring up 3 6v 4 amp batts you will get 18 volts and 12 amps of power.All the electronics are as you will have seen Action and I can not PRAISE Dave Milburn enough they are the dogs dangly bits.If you want any info just ask

Stavros
oops me got it slightly wrong what I meant was 12v 10amps and not 12v 20 amps silly me must have been thta dammed wine again

Stavros

Garabaldy

« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2008, 11:35:05 pm »

stavro's, after reading through this thread i went and ordered the plan for this boat.  It looks great!  I will probably use mfa 850s to power it though.  This will also be my first proper scratch build too.

Stavros

« Reply #43 on: July 18, 2008, 11:37:49 pm »

Seriously though the 850's are far to powerfull,you would be far better off with a pair of Graupener 600's which I will be changing to before long,the present motors are OK BUT I fel the need for speed

Stavros

Garabaldy

« Reply #44 on: August 23, 2008, 06:03:11 pm »

They draw alot of current too i just noticed.... 

I shall be starting this build soon O0
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 23 queries.