Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Plating and rivets.  (Read 3461 times)

Tom@Crewe

• Full Mayhemer
Plating and rivets.
« on: June 26, 2006, 05:28:54 pm »

I have a 1:40 scale hull and its smooth as a Babies Bottom, I want to detail it plating is not a big problem I think I'm ok with that.

But what about the rivets, have seen the tip on teddies eyes but they are to large for this scale.

Any tips.

MCR

Re: Plating and rivets.
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2006, 06:15:52 pm »

I have used a syringe to deposit small drops of pva glue it worked very well and did not take as long as I thougjt it would.
Mark

Tom@Crewe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2006, 09:55:18 pm »

where do you get a syringe that fine?
do you think I could us some brass rod dip it in a pool of PVA and transfer it to get the same result??

ron h

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2006, 11:09:26 pm »

where do you get a syringe that fine?
do you think I could us some brass rod dip it in a pool of PVA and transfer it to get the same result??

I have done it that way, have a sharp end on your brass, I have also done it with a syringe, takes about the same time.  ;D ::) ::)

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2006, 05:31:07 pm »

I have used normal copier paper.
Cut to the correct plate size, use a suitable piece of brass rod to indent rivets from the inside, need to be careful, but it is only paper.
Paint pva glue on the inside of the plates and stick on to hull. Let it all dry out and paint over the outside with pva.
The glue does fill in the dents for the rivets, the pva waterproofs the paper and prepares for a coat of paint too!!
It worked for me.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Wetwater

• Full Mayhemer
  • My mind often wanders. Once it left completely.
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2006, 11:13:08 pm »

I use old clock wheels mounted on a simple handle.  File off unwanted teeth to give the required spacing.  Run the wheel over the material you are using with a steel rule as a guide.  I have used thin plasticard and  paper either in plate form, as in Shipmate's post, or in narrow strips. 

A selection of different size wheels will cover most jobs. As a lot of these have very sharp teeth a rub over with a file may be needed.
Alan.

Tom@Crewe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2006, 11:03:51 am »

I have done a test piece, I used thin card and the results are great, this is the way to do the whole hull

Thanks for the tip..!

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2006, 11:44:41 am »

Try applying rivets using thick super glue and a cocktail stick! It works a treat, when all is dry, lightly sand down the tops of the dried super glue rivets and then your ready to paint. I got the idea from an issue of model boats, it was the issue that had a build up of the mini Bluebird inside.

Be prepared to go a little nuts doing it :P

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2007, 07:33:28 pm »

If using the "clock" or Dress makers wheel method for riveting may I suggest that you do the rivets so they show as "indents" on the final hull. This way you will not obliterate them when rubbing down the final hull. Also, the human eye cannot easily distinguish between "in" and "out" when light hits them.
Notes from a simple seaman
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 22 queries.