Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 6" dinghy or plan  (Read 4566 times)

surabaya

6" dinghy or plan
« on: January 04, 2008, 10:15:55 pm »

Hi, Does anyone know where to get a kit or plan so I can build a 6" dinghy to go at the back of my boat, i.e slung across stern  hanging from two davits. I am not so good at scratch building yet.

banjo

Re: 6" dinghy or plan
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008, 10:32:53 pm »

Do a search on Lifeboats on the forum.  Brian Young did a great "How to" on them

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2008, 10:36:07 pm »

hi there, I am sure I have a plan in a book somewhere, so I will try and find it for you.

I will try and scan it in if I can.

aye
john e
bluebird

scan follows.....
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2008, 10:42:52 pm »

hi there see if this works  O0 and if you can make it out, if not, I could try and send it via email.

aye
john
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

surabaya

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2008, 08:38:42 am »

Hi, It looks good, but as soon as I try to print at reasonable size it becomes unclear. Can you e-mail as picture.
Thanks ray

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2008, 11:49:45 am »

Bluebird,

Thanks for that, should fit the bill nicely

Doug
Don't Assume Check

funtimefrankie

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Birkdale, Lancashire. twixt the Mersey & the Ribble
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2008, 02:04:38 pm »

Chris Brown Model Boats list one.

www.christopher-wyn-brown.co.uk/modelboats

No idea what they are like.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2008, 07:17:01 pm »

Hi, Does anyone know where to get a kit or plan so I can build a 6" dinghy to go at the back of my boat, i.e slung across stern  hanging from two davits. I am not so good at scratch building yet.
My "Bluebird of Chelsea" launch has a 6" clinker built dinghy hanging off the back end of the boat. I assume (?) that you wish to do something similar. The dinghy on "Bluebird" is made out of mahogany strips (planks). If you want any more details my e-mail address is under "profiles".
Notes from a simple seaman

surabaya

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2008, 11:29:07 pm »

Hi, Thanks, go your e-mail "bluebird", now to work out how to go about it.
Thanks also "funtime frankie, I have had a look and they look great little boats, ready for when I launch the one I am trying to make out of the window ;D
Lastly, Yes , bryan, I think I could do with some tips on building one. It will be like the bluebird in one way or another, either hanging at the back or like the bird, flying out the window {-)

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2008, 11:05:43 pm »

Hi, Thanks, go your e-mail "bluebird", now to work out how to go about it.
Thanks also "funtime frankie, I have had a look and they look great little boats, ready for when I launch the one I am trying to make out of the window ;D
Lastly, Yes , bryan, I think I could do with some tips on building one. It will be like the bluebird in one way or another, either hanging at the back or like the bird, flying out the window {-)
More second thoughts, Years ago I bought a printed sheet of cardboard from the NMM (only a few pence) that had all the relevant bits of a boat printed and ready to cut out and make the boat. Perhaps it was the "Discovery" museum in Newcastle. Time flies. Try contacting either of them. Originally there was a range of different models to choose from, all quite useful.

surabaya

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2008, 11:12:06 pm »

Hi, bryan
NMM?
National motorboat museum, at wat tyler park?

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2008, 05:44:13 pm »

Off and on during the last few days I have been mulling over the problems of making a dinghy (or any other boat) from scratch at any particular scale/size required. "Bluebird"s plan is pretty good and if he can get it clearer that could be the way to go. But it could still need scaling up or down. The dinghy on my "Bluebird of Chelsea" is actually closer to 10" long rather than the 6" quoted (memory failure). Not having access to a "proper" dinghy plan at the time I built the thing I used the computer to resize and rescale a drawing of a transom sterned cutter figuring that squashing, extending and otherwise playing with the drawing would result in a short squat dinghy but with the body line sections still in proportion to each other. And so it proved to be.
Photo "dinghy-1" shows the original configuration of the cutter. My dinghy was to be 10" long, 4.5" wide and 2.5" high (deep) at the bow.
For what it is worth my methods were as follows:-
Duplicate "photo 1" and isolate/save the body plan.
This becomes "dinghy 2". The next stage is to crop the image to the planking edges. Duplicate and save. This will be "dinghy 3". This all takes longer to write than to do!
Now go to your printer and select "custom" (or whatever your printer equivalent). Bring up the Body Plan on screen. For this example I will choose 115mm wide and the printer automatically scales the depth to 66mm which is what I want. ( If anyone knows how to "unlock" this automatic scaling I would be delighted to know how as now and again I want to change it).
I have just printed this out and it is correct. So now you hav a body plan. Print out as many copies as you need on to sticky paper and you can can make the framework of the mould. Do all this again for the length of the boat and the station lines should line up OK.
This little effort is not meant to be a set of instructions, just one of many methods of getting to the end product you want.

surabaya

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2008, 09:52:38 pm »

Hi, Absolutely perfect for what I want. Now I can have a try, but if all goes wrong, I now have e-mail of someone who sells them from 2" to about 9".
Thanks all

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2008, 12:27:27 pm »

The method I use is similar to Bryans but I load the scan into a vector program and trace the outlines on a different layer. This way it is possible to move each section around and possibly print more than one on each piece of paper. You can also stretch each dimension independently if required (which solves Bryans problem of automatic scaling by the printer). Scaling of vector lines also avoids the blurring or jaggy edges you can get from magnifying scanned images.

Just my way.

HTH

Doug
Don't Assume Check

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2008, 06:41:25 pm »

The method I use is similar to Bryans but I load the scan into a vector program and trace the outlines on a different layer. This way it is possible to move each section around and possibly print more than one on each piece of paper. You can also stretch each dimension independently if required (which solves Bryans problem of automatic scaling by the printer). Scaling of vector lines also avoids the blurring or jaggy edges you can get from magnifying scanned images.

Just my way.

HTH

Doug
Try as I may, I have never sussed out how to use layers! Mind you, modern phones leave me perplexed as well.

surabaya

« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2008, 10:43:29 pm »

Hopefully,by the end of the weekend I will post a pic of a dinghy on the back of my motor cruiser :)
And I`ll tell you if I needed to cheat a little or not ;D

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2008, 05:39:37 pm »

Surabaya, sorry, it was quite wrong of me to forget to post pics of my final result.

surabaya

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2008, 11:27:32 pm »

WOW, If mine turns out half as good, I will dance around the room. I think I have a long way to go to match yours.
But, I will try and learn and try and learn and .........
Thanks for the pics

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2008, 05:54:46 pm »

WOW, If mine turns out half as good, I will dance around the room. I think I have a long way to go to match yours.
But, I will try and learn and try and learn and .........
Thanks for the pics
And I also forgot to tell you that it is all held together with superglue!. 3 years old now, much used and still in one piece even after being thumped by one of our "not paying attention" members!. Cheers, glad to help. BY.

surabaya

« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2008, 11:22:06 pm »

Just thought I would let you see my effort after all your help.  At least it hangs on the back ok ;D.
Maybe next one will be better :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 22 queries.