Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Proxxon Tools  (Read 3973 times)

colin-stevens

• Full Mayhemer
Proxxon Tools
« on: January 06, 2008, 06:50:54 pm »

has any got any of the Proxxon tools? i am interested in the mini Mill/drill they do(MF70) just wondered if any one can tell me wether they are worth the money.
cheers
colin
grumpy old XXX

barryfoote

Re: Proxxon Tools
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2008, 06:57:19 pm »

They are superb modelling tools. Well worth the money compared to other similar companies. I love them.

Barry

Cargo

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2008, 06:59:14 pm »

Generally spoken the proxxon tools are worth a buy. Got two, no problems so far.

djrobbo

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2008, 07:03:25 pm »

Hi guys......got a proxxon mini circular saw....and a mini scroll saw ....good tools well worth the money

regards  bob

Dave Buckingham

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2008, 07:42:20 pm »

I have a load of proxxon tools think you could call me a Proxxon junky

Some are very expensive but worth there weight in gold like the thicknesser

Tip I buy Bass wood in four inch wide stips and cut to the width required if you keep a stock of various thicknesses in you never run out of the size required I hate waiting for supplies.

I do a lot of wood wagons for railways G scale and the finish of the saws are very good
Dave

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2008, 09:38:36 pm »

I second all of the above.  O0  I have a Proxxon mini table saw and it is absolutely fantastic for fine work. I have used it to cut 1mm thick planks for decking, which it does beautifully, leaving a very smooth finish requiring little sanding.
Peter.

colin-stevens

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2008, 09:43:58 pm »

cheers guys, guess il wait for the Model exhibition and see if they are there on a deal
grumpy old XXX

Roger in France

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2008, 06:56:40 am »

I agree that Proxxon are expensive but they are well engineered and perform superbly. I have a wide range of their tools on both 12v. and 240v.

I buy from a guy in Germany whose prices are attractive. As we both use Euros and postage is within mainland Europe this is a viable way for me to buy. I do not know what would be involved buying from the UK. I will look up his Web Site and pass it on when I have the time but I regret it cannot be today.

Roger in France.

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2008, 11:56:07 am »

I have no problems with the electric tools, but am not very happy with the Proxxon Vice I bought. It was quite expensive and the clamp on the ball joint isn't at all  positive. Also I have seen the same item in Lidl at a fraction of the cost.

Barrie

barryfoote

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2008, 01:37:51 pm »

barriew,

I have the same vice and mine works superbly well. may be you got a duff one. Mine ha been used regularly for over a year now without problem.

Barry

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2008, 08:23:54 pm »

My Proxxon mini drill died the death after a short period of use but the replacement has been no problem and is a pleasure to use. No vibration and nice balance in the hand.

Barry M

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2008, 10:24:34 pm »

Possibly an old subject, but my Proxxon lathe (the little one) is superb. My only quibble is the lack of dedicated ancilliaries. Why don't "they" copy the Unimat and have a range of "goodies". Examples:- No quick change tool post. No dividing head. Why not? I have been fortunate in having Unimat parts that fit..., having said that, the Unimat "mill-drill" with its compound table knocks spots off the Proxxon, but the Proxxons motor is better than the Unimat one. The Proxxon mini sander is very useful and affordable, but replacement sanding pads are stupidly overpriced, and they only last for a couple of minutes.
Notes from a simple seaman

colin-stevens

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2008, 06:36:27 pm »

Bryan, when you say the unimat mini drill, do you mean the moduler "thingy".?
colin
grumpy old XXX

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2008, 10:50:21 pm »

Bryan, when you say the unimat mini drill, do you mean the moduler "thingy".?
colin

Sorry, my post said "mill-drill". Weighs half a ton but worth its weight in gold. I wouldn't touch the modular thingy with a barge pole unless I was teaching a child the principles of machining. The "mill-drill" is a good buy for the normal model maker (if there is such a person). Sorry for any confusion. BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

Roger in France

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2008, 06:42:04 am »

I promised that address for cheaper Proxxon tools from the guy I use in Germany.

An interesting site for all kinds of modelling bits and pieces. However, as I said from Germany to me (in France) is easy and cheap on carriage, may be a different matter if you order from the UK. The guy is helpful and speaks English.

www.letrainmagique.com

Roger in France.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 21 queries.