Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gone with the wind on 'kite ship'  (Read 1728 times)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

bigfella

Re: Gone with the wind on 'kite ship'
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2008, 12:28:56 am »

Hi Martin

I had heard about this on the radio and thought what a great idea. Now I have seen all the detail I think it is an even better one.

Regards David

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
  • Location: Howden.East Riding of Yorkshire.England Near the banks of the river Ouse
    • goole model boat club indi site
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2008, 11:25:53 am »

ok so who is going to apply the idea to a model  ;D
daz
I like to build my boats to play with, not to just look pretty, so they dont !

Roger in France

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2008, 01:35:06 pm »

It's potential for models is very limited as the greatest pull is in the wind direction. If you read the full description of this full size application you will see that the kite is computer controlled such that it is constantly traversing a figure of 8 path. This gives a degree of pull which is variable depending on the wind direction. However, unless you are travelling in approximately the same direction as the wind I would imagine the efficiency/contribution to forward motion is limited.

Roger in France.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2008, 07:31:46 pm »

OK it was not a "kite" ship, but for the Daily Mail to say that this was (is) the first proper ship to be powered by wind for 100 years is just untrue. (Not talking about sailing ships here).Many variations have been tried, some successful, others less so. Kite power has also been used to great effect in other areas. I recall seeing a lovely photo of 4 ladies being taken across the English Channel on a sofa at about 100' high but in great comfort...Edwardian times I think. BY.
Notes from a simple seaman
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 22 queries.