Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Sunday afternoon in Southampton  (Read 4938 times)

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
Sunday afternoon in Southampton
« on: January 07, 2008, 08:49:25 am »

QE 2 and Queen Victoria prior to setting off for New York.
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

furball

Re: Sunday afternoon in Southampton
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 01:00:29 pm »

A friend of mine and his wife are on the QV & flying back from Fort Lauderdale. He was saying that they meet the QM2 in New York.

Lucky ***.

Lance

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008, 01:06:46 pm »

No prizes for identifying the prettiest sister!

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2008, 02:20:58 pm »

You're right Colin. Still the best looking ship.  O0

Still, should be some site all three together.
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

chingdevil

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2008, 11:04:39 pm »

Man that QV is one ugly ship, she must have been designed by committee. She looks like a she is built out of Lego bricks.

Brian

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2008, 11:57:48 pm »

It's the balconies wot does it!

I'm marking my 60th (not celebrating, mind you!) with a Baltic Cruise in May on Thomson Celebration, ex Noordam. The ship doesn't look much from the outside, too angular and a naff paint job on the funnel but inside she is quite refined as befits an ex Holland America ship. Also the aft decks are terraced with lots of open deck space and teak in the traditional way. Most importantly, she only carries 1,200 passengers. Travelled on her in 2006 to Norway - very enjoyable.

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2008, 07:15:48 pm »

hi all . Well its official queen Victoria got her ass wiped on the north Atlantic she did not Handel well. Photos to follow soon.john

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2008, 11:32:46 am »

Saw this report of the voyage. Just seems to confirm that modern cruise ships are not designed for "Winter North Atlantic". I would be interested to hear how QE2 coped with the conditions.

http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3595163

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2008, 05:26:17 pm »

she sailed with elegance like  a true ocean liner should do. OK it was a choppy but that was more down to QE2 only doing 19.5 knots using only 3 engines. If she had been doing 30+ knots with all 9 engines on the go it would have Bean smother. As for Vicky well she cant cut waves she punches them. And they call this an improvement. OK who got wrong at the ship yard.

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2008, 06:03:30 pm »

hi colin here a few photo

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2008, 06:20:29 pm »

heres the rest

john

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2008, 06:47:47 pm »

Saw this report of the voyage. Just seems to confirm that modern cruise ships are not designed for "Winter North Atlantic". I would be interested to hear how QE2 coped with the conditions.

http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3595163

read the blog on this link and he said it was force 8 the worst it hit was force 5 and no were near 8. That the problem crusie ships cant handel rough weather. I read QE2 hit force 12 once would like to see QV take that. i think her bridge would cave in as would her foward superstructer .

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2008, 07:35:25 pm »

QV is certainly nicer than QM2, however she does look like the MV Zuierdam, a cruise ship not a long distance trans atlantic boat, designed for plying the carribbean
Go Nuclear!  you'll love it

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2008, 12:00:37 am »

Richard, it's nice to know that the QE2 is safely across the Atlantic, on her way to Sydney to pick us up O0 As I have mentioned in other posts, we are booked on the return leg of her last World Cruise from Sydney to Southampton, so it is comforting to hear that she copes well with rough weather. I saw some photos on the Cunard web site of the first and only time the 3 Queens were, or ever will be, together (according to Cunard), in New York harbour.
It's 5 weeks today (Monday) that we leave Sydney, so the anticipation and excitement are mounting - we'll soon have to start packing  :)
Peter.

meechingman

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tugs Rule, OK!
    • Andrew Gilbert
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2008, 03:17:59 pm »

the first and only time the 3 Queens were, or ever will be, together (according to Cunard)

Hmm. I wonder. Subject to where they're planning to place QV, QM2 and eventually QE (3!), is there scope for a mega meeting at Dubai when QE2 becomes a permanent fixture there. Probably not, sadly, but oh what a photo that would be - 4 Queens together. (and we all know which would carry off the prize for being the prettiest...) ;)

Andy
Admiral of the Haven Towage Fleet.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2008, 06:24:22 pm »

Hi all, I watched a very recent documentary on the Q.V. and the fellow who commissioned her was just interested in the number of state rooms with balconies that could be built in to make her financially viable.   I was on the ship a few weeks ago, ( anyone who reads Ships Monthly, p.6, will see me dancing in the ballroom with my partner) and I did get more of a 'hotel' feeling rather than a ship.  But my experience is some what limited so who am I to say!.
regards Roy

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2008, 07:35:22 pm »

The point that is not really being considered here is that the Queen Vic is not an ocean liner.  She is a cruise ship, not surprisingly looking like the Holland America ships as she shares a lot of common design characteristics.

The QE2 and QM2 are both liners, although I would still question some of the criteria used for the QM2 but certainly the last true greyhound is the QE2.  No other ship since she was built has been able to match her ability to cut through the waves and handle the weather but the new Queen Vic was never even designed to do so.

But then we have to look a little bit beyond such sea keeping abilities and think about fuel costs, environmental impact, balconies (like it or not that's what customers want these days) etc..etc..  The reason the QE2 does not use all nine engines nowadays is quite simply that it costs a fortune to do so and speed for speed even though she doesn't do it quite so gracefully the Queen Vic will get there using considerably less fuel.

Much as we love the QE2, and I have worked on her so I have more of a soft spot than most, we have to move on.

I find myself constantly referring back nowadays to the time when the QE2 was introduced to the world.  Everyone to a man thought she looked far too futuristic and ugly and certainly not like a proper liner!!
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2008, 09:40:31 pm »

Hi all, I watched a very recent documentary on the Q.V. and the fellow who commissioned her was just interested in the number of state rooms with balconies that could be built in to make her financially viable.   I was on the ship a few weeks ago, ( anyone who reads Ships Monthly, p.6, will see me dancing in the ballroom with my partner) and I did get more of a 'hotel' feeling rather than a ship.  But my experience is some what limited so who am I to say!.
regards Roy
i have to full agree with you on it all do do with money nowerdays. Here a question QE2 once went through a gale force 12 storm and came out intact apart from a few dent and bangs.The force of the water dented the steel deck at her front. How if that had been Vicky she could have lost bridge . So should these ships be on the north Atlantic.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2008, 10:17:49 pm »

So should these ships be on the north Atlantic.

Probably not in my view, just the same as they shouldn't be gallivanting about in the Antarctic either with non ice strengthened hulls and no local rescue infrastructure to speak of. However, Cunard seems to be marketing the Queen Vic as a transatlantic liner with several crossings coming up when she is really just a prettied up standard shallow draught, high sided cruise ship.

Concerns are being expressed by maritime experts that the cruise companies are getting too over confident when chasing passsengers for new "experiences". "Disaster waiting to happen" is the phrase.

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2008, 11:30:26 pm »

found this . I think this is what happens when your mobile block of flats meets a big storm not pretty.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XoPqtnfTuc

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2008, 09:11:13 am »

They must have thought it was rollover week!

Look how far forward the bridge is - not a clever design.

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2008, 03:32:23 pm »

Oh I say waiter I seem to have spilled my soup!
Don't Assume Check

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2008, 05:13:08 pm »

and if you want to know what its like down below check this out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NE_ri8PkihE

00:13s into the video, watch it bend!!!! a view along an internal passageway aboard a liner will probably have as much flex. 

personally that much bend, though meant to be there does look a tad excessive
Go Nuclear!  you'll love it

MTB

« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2008, 06:50:25 pm »

Man that QV is one ugly ship, she must have been designed by committee. She looks like a she is built out of Lego bricks.

Brian
I beg to differ gentle men but no ship should be called ugly. ladies are either handsome or not of marrying quality or age if you please. i have only ever seen ugly boats i'm pleased to say. er hem looked in the mirror lately chaps. ugghhhhh. see what i mean. my all time favorite type of vessel is the argrntine 4 mast training ship

Colin H

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2008, 10:47:42 pm »

Two things occur to me after watching the video of the cruise ship.

(a) How stable the chopper was.

(b) How many passengers were injured on board?

Colin H.
do every thing today tomorrow may not arrive.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.123 seconds with 21 queries.