Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: WWII vintage tankers  (Read 7530 times)

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
WWII vintage tankers
« on: January 10, 2008, 04:08:21 am »

I'm building a 1/160 model of a WWII vintage oil/fuel tanker and I'm after pictures, particularly of the deck detail. If anyone has some decent pictures for modeling they would care to share it'll be greatly appreciated.
  Also I'm looking for any pictures of the following tanker, again from WWII:
El Mirlo - Bowring Tankers
Empire Jet - company unknown
MV Seminole - Anglo American tankers
MV George W. McKnight - Anglo American tankers
MV John H. Brown - Standard Oil

The shots are of my work to this point. Thanks for any help.
oldiron

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
Re: WWII vintage tankers
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 06:24:25 pm »

Looks like a T2 tanker to me. Lots and lots of info on them. Depends on what configuration you want. Some were straightforward tankers, some were fitted out for Naval re-fuelling and many others were made up as generaating stations, water purification plants etc. etc. etc. It would be a lot more complicated but possibly more interesting if you were to build it as a Fleet Oiler! BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 10:00:12 pm »

Looks like a T2 tanker to me. Lots and lots of info on them. Depends on what configuration you want. Some were straightforward tankers, some were fitted out for Naval re-fuelling and many others were made up as generaating stations, water purification plants etc. etc. etc. It would be a lot more complicated but possibly more interesting if you were to build it as a Fleet Oiler! BY.

It is very similar to a T2 tanker but built during the thirties for domestic use. I expect most tankers of that period were very similar. My father was engineer on these for the British Merchant Navy during the war. I'm trying to build one of the vessels he was on (names listed). His service was North Atlantic and Mediteranean to Malta.
oldiron

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2008, 04:50:27 pm »

Can't find the listing, sorry. Wouldn't be surprised if it was "Eagle Oil" though. Given a bit more info. I'm sure that forum members could help a lot. Cheers. BY.

IainM

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2008, 05:49:19 pm »

Could be a T2 given the design of the aft end of the engine room casing.
As Bryan says there were lots of different configurations around by the end of WWII

Stern view of Tenagodus a Shell T2.  When UK registered they were all TES nnnn (TurboElectric Ship) as against STS or MV.

Some detail of the fore deck arrangements of a 1950's general purpose tanker.

Have you tried a search on http://merchant-navy.net/index.html ?

Good luck with your build!

Iain

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2008, 06:07:42 pm »

Could be a T2 given the design of the aft end of the engine room casing.
As Bryan says there were lots of different configurations around by the end of WWII

Stern view of Tenagodus a Shell T2.  When UK registered they were all TES nnnn (TurboElectric Ship) as against STS or MV.

Some detail of the fore deck arrangements of a 1950's general purpose tanker.

Have you tried a search on http://merchant-navy.net/index.html ?

Good luck with your build!

Iain

Iain:

Thanks for the photos. They answer some questions about two areas I don't very good shots of, namely the focastle deck and the top of the stern house as to the location, size and number of vents.
  Thanks very much for the tip.

oldiron

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2008, 06:27:14 pm »

Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2008, 07:12:26 pm »

El Mirlo  http://www.photoship.co.uk/JAlbum/Old%20Ships%20E/slides/El%20Mirlo-01.html

Seminole  http://www.photoship.co.uk/JAlbum/Old%20Ships%20S/slides/Seminole-01.html

Thats all I could find I'm afraid, its not much.  :embarrassed:

DickyD:
 Don't be embarressed, thats the first picture I've seen of Seminole. I've got a stern shot, from below, of El Mirlo thats not very good, but the picture you found gives a good overall perspective of it.
thanks again
oldiron

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2008, 07:23:57 pm »

http://www.dockmuseum.org.uk/archive/browser.asp?deepcriteria=Oil+Tanker&searchtype=1

Hi there, have a look at the above link - there are some good shots of decks of tankers, but dont know if its what you want though.   Always a good look round.

Aye
john e
bluebird
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2008, 04:52:32 pm »

http://www.dockmuseum.org.uk/archive/browser.asp?deepcriteria=Oil+Tanker&searchtype=1

Hi there, have a look at the above link - there are some good shots of decks of tankers, but dont know if its what you want though.   Always a good look round.

Aye
john e
bluebird

Bluebird:

Thanks for the URL. Its taken me awhile to go through all the pics, but I did find one of the Seminole that has asnwered a few questions. Quite a resource site. Some really neat pictures for modeling in there.

oldiron

farrow

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2008, 10:41:52 pm »

I knowe it is a very long shot, but Glasgow Transport Museum was given most of the builders models on the Clyde when they wrapped up. I remember seeing them in the late 1970's, there was a lot of pre war ships and I would not be surprised if they had more in store than on display.

gingyer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2008, 10:52:56 pm »

I knowe it is a very long shot, but Glasgow Transport Museum was given most of the builders models on the Clyde when they wrapped up. I remember seeing them in the late 1970's, there was a lot of pre war ships and I would not be surprised if they had more in store than on display.

what is on display is what they have
some new curator a complete  >>:-( >>:-( .
decided to bin most of the boat spares this included
boats, fittings and moulds they had

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2008, 11:27:00 pm »

What kind of people are employed as curators of a maritime museum if they are ready to "bin" the models? If what has been said is really true then I really do despair and worry about other items of historical interest. What are museums for? My local museum (Newcastle Discovery Museum) used to be all about local technology and had shed loads of ships and stuff....now it is all Peruvian basket making and 19th century quilt making. The inmates now run the asylums I fear.

john strapp

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2008, 09:51:41 am »

IAIN M

I was on the Shell turbo electric tanker "HELCION"  and we were told not to use the TES directive as she should be addressed as the SS "HELCION"
Was this just Shell's instructions or Board of Trade?  JS

IainM

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2008, 12:08:03 pm »

Hi John ... not really sure but all the Company postcards showed the T2's using the  TES designator as did all entries in my Discharge Book.
TES could well have been used to differentiate between the USMC design vessels and the later UK design so  probably went out with the demise of T2s.

Iain
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 22 queries.