Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lighting help  (Read 4861 times)

offshore1987

Lighting help
« on: January 10, 2008, 05:00:23 pm »

Hi chaps, just a quick question about lighting, iv got some X-Lights ( pictured ) and i cant seem to turn them on and off with the switchs on my controler  ???

iv got a futaba T6EXAP controler i put the lights in a Y lead into channel 5 but really cant seem to turn them on n off any help on what im doing wronge?

thanks and all the best  O0

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Lighting help
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 05:35:03 pm »

You require an electronic switch that will convert the digital output from the Rx into a switch. Take a look at http://www.actionkit.co.uk - or wait to FLJ to reply and tell you exactly what you need :D

Barrie

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 06:46:31 pm »

any help on what im doing wrong?

I've sent a data-sheet on selecting and using switchers etc to your E-mail address. PM or E-mail me for any further info you need.
FLJ

offshore1987

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 07:34:01 pm »

You require an electronic switch that will convert the digital output from the Rx into a switch. Take a look at http://www.actionkit.co.uk - or wait to FLJ to reply and tell you exactly what you need :D

Barrie

ta but the webpage wont open? lol

thanks also FLJ  O0

gribeauval

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tidy Bench -Tidy Mind, Messy Bench - BUSY!!
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2008, 08:01:26 pm »

The web page you want is this one ;)

True Lifeboat Nutter!!

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2008, 08:27:52 pm »

Barrie

ta but the webpage wont open? lol

thanks also FLJ  O0

Sorry about that - I hadn't updated my bookmarks ::)

Barrie

offshore1987

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2008, 09:47:50 pm »

dos anyone maybe have a pic of the units?  i think awhile ago i saw something in a model book that was like a bit of wire with the plugs and was like inline that was a switcher but cant seem to find it now, anyone know of something like that? im only after something that will just switch them on and off with out cuting wires and what not just a plug and place unit :)

http://www.robotmarketplace.com/images/store_rcswitch5_lg.jpg     < something like that but thats sold in the uk?

Stavros

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2008, 11:01:30 pm »

Right what you can do is to use the y lead into your motor channel and as soon as you move off the lights will come on and go off when you stop......I think !!!!!! try it

Stavros

OMK

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2008, 11:33:15 pm »

i saw something in a model book that was like a bit of wire with the plugs and was like inline

Nah, you don't want like something like that -- it only switches a few measly milli-amps. You want like something like this site I like stumbled upon...

http://www.keirle8122.fsnet.co.uk/gadgets/fet_sw/fet_sw.htm

That baby switches LOADS of loads.

IainM

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2008, 11:36:20 pm »

If you are handy with a soldering iron, try this wee switcher you can make for yourself.
http://www.sfmbc.net/switcher_r1.pdf

There is also an expanded circuit board diagram.
I've made several of these and they are great.

There is also one that uses a relay to increase the current capacity ..... to be posted shortly.

IainM

offshore1987

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2008, 11:55:12 pm »

ta for the links lads  O0 but im really lookin for something i can plug and play with or something very very close all the lights im usein will be with a Y spliter so maybe im guessin take the plug off the Y lead and wire that straight into a switcher?

as you can tell im useless with electrics  :D 

ta again

OMK

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2008, 12:13:19 am »

There is also one that uses a relay to increase the current capacity ..... to be posted shortly.

B... b... but I thought the same circuit had been covered in the p... p... previous p... p... post already.  Only d... difference is the MOSFET outp... p... put stage. M... m... miles better than a power-hungry r... r... relay, wouldn't you s... s... say?

OMK

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2008, 12:58:14 am »

Hey, Offshore', I've just took a butcher's at your video. I've gotta question for you.
The part where you zoom up on the flashing LEDs... take a close squint. Each LED has just two wires, terminated in a 2-pin plug, right?
(See where this is going yet?)
So if you stuck those 2-pin plugs in your RC receiver, didn't you wonder why or even what the third pin was doing there?
Man, where you been since 1987?... off shore? While you were there did anyone explain to you the meaning of the acronym "RTFM"?.

(Hehee! I mean, who in their right mind would connect a LED directly to the receiver and expect to turn it on and off from the transmitter?...  unless your name is Offshore... or............. PMK. (Oops!))

offshore1987

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2008, 01:51:26 am »

thats how they turned up which i was very "xxxxx" off about, as on the x-light website they infact show them with 3 pin plugs  >>:-( and T/H from the u.s also showed some of the with 3 pin plugs  >>:-( i feel totally riped off tbh as the pics i saw when buying them are diffrent to what turned up  :o grrr lol and i always payed a load of money for something that said could be turned off from the controler with out the aid of anything else so they have totally riped me off grrr hense why i aint orderin from out side the UK again, if i ordered something from the UK and it turned up as bad as this, id drive to where ever it came from and hand it back to them in person lol

my rant over lol  O0  i might as well of gone to maplins and spent like £10 and done them my self lol could of saved a hell of alot  >:(

there has to be a switcher out there that is built and plugs into the reciver, and can also easly wire in the Y lead or plug the Y lead into it and job done?  :'(

someone must know something like im after?  :angel:

all the best, grrr lol

edit:  4th one down maybe?  http://www.pandanmodelboats.co.uk/acatalog/Pandan_-_Electronic_Switchers_and_BEC_s.html   SubTech - SES-3 Dual Function Switcher ?

banjo

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2008, 03:25:05 am »

another great idea bites the dust.... >:(

never mine...persevere with the water tanks...they won't let you down!!

O0

OMK

« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2008, 03:35:20 am »

Yep - now you're cooking. £22 + tax will buy you the switcher you're looking for. Did you notice the specification?... it's a 4Amp, 24-volt job. Not bad.
You might also take a butcher's at www.dawnmist.org before you part with your hard-earnt.
Barry Blyth is another chap worth calling on. He hangs out on this forum from time to time. This link will take you right to his house... http://www.kleefeld.freeserve.co.uk/index.htm

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2008, 08:54:15 am »

Relay power consumption 360mW. If you want to use one of those "retract/flaps" channels then we have a single-relay unit which will do the job. I rest my case (again...).

FLJ

offshore1987

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2008, 02:32:59 am »

ta FLJ  O0 il look into that once there open again

umm another one iv found is this (Robbe - Mono - Switch Memory unit #8444)  20th one down on there list >  http://www.pandanmodelboats.co.uk/acatalog/Our_Online_Catalogue_Robbe_F14__FC_16__and_FX_18_Radio_Accessories_137.html  :) would this work maybe?, im liking the fact it dosnt need another battery, or dos it lol  :o im kinda guessin you dont need a robbe control to use it either?

as you can tell im new to rc electric ( total noob ) so sorry for the stupid questions  :angel:

meechingman

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tugs Rule, OK!
    • Andrew Gilbert
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2008, 09:36:45 am »

Just a point about the idea of having the lights come on only when you use the motor. We had a guy who'd done this at our last night sail. Every time he stopped (which was a lot) we had to try to remember or guess where he was! And, after a few moments drifting, he never knew quite which way his boat was going to be facing when he fired up the motor again!

There were some unrepeatable mutterings under breath that night, I can tell you.

Andy
Admiral of the Haven Towage Fleet.

offshore1987

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2008, 03:41:32 am »

update

got some of the lights in  O0

iv ordered the dual ses switcher so will post what thats like when i get it  :)

all the best

OMK

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2008, 12:29:28 am »

iv ordered the dual ses switcher so will post what thats like when i get it  :)

That's the spirit. Looks pretty good. Mind you, I reckon you'll end up kicking yer butt for not going the ACTion route, but let us know how you get, just the same.
BTW, I like the waste-pipe funnel on the end there.

offshore1987

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2008, 04:07:45 am »

O0  if you would like to see how shes come alone then have a little look on here http://modeltugforum.com/index.php?topic=131.0 << most of the build and whats gone on in here  O0

oh lol i stuck them on the ends to stop the pipe from going down the holes  :) this is what it will kinda look like when done :)

iv been lookin at some 8 way switchers and 16 way ones but i dont think i can use them with my controler or a 2.4 controler atm, i might upgrade to a 2.4 soon if i can spend abit more

all the best

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2008, 06:29:53 am »

Looking good!

What's the voltage and current draw?
how will you refil the smoke unit with oil?

Be careful to clean down all the superstructure before painting after all that oily smoke..... :-\
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

offshore1987

« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2008, 01:26:06 am »

Hi Martin

Im guessin your on about the smoke unit? It draws about 1.7amps  :) I have it set up so when i lift the s/s off the smoke unit stays in the hull and when puttin the s/s back on the coper pipe locates  O0 It was a pain to get it right but got their in the end

If i had a jjc smoke unit then id sit in right down in the hull and use only over flow pipe to hook it up :)

Just another vid of how she looks, also once the hunter smoke unit is going ok then its great :)

First vid is of it indoors then out side when it was abit windy

Second vid is of it out side ( very windy )

Martin il clean it all up before painting :) thanks for remindin me

Il start a build post sometime soon  O0

all the best

snoops

« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2008, 10:26:19 pm »

Try these, they supply some great set's which can be operated via the transmitter and are real low prices, there systems for boats include a permanent on output as well throttle or Tx switch operated outputs, they also do custom set's to order..... ;D

www.rclighting.net

O0
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.112 seconds with 22 queries.