Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sub Chaser SC 110  (Read 5368 times)

Damien

Sub Chaser SC 110
« on: January 12, 2008, 06:57:08 am »

I found the SC 110 plan on ebay an old plan from 1956 and liked it instantly for a return to R/C boating, a build at 1/38th scale she is 34 " in length and not quite 6" in beam, as the plan called for a Allyn outboard motor mounted inboard, I made the conversion to single prop electric drive.
Only waiting on cooler weather to spray the Satin clear coat to seal the decals and take the shine off the Hull. And add the signal flag lines to the mast.

O0 Damien

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
Re: Sub Chaser SC 110
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2008, 11:30:38 am »

Really nice looking boat. Good work.

I waiting for warmer weather to some fibreglass repairs  :)

All the best

Doug
Don't Assume Check

Jonty

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2008, 08:16:23 pm »

I'm really taken by these sub-chasers. Try Google and you'll find a fascinating website about them. And Deans do a hull...
I eat my peas with honey,
I've done it all my life;
It makes the peas taste funny,
But it keeps 'em on the knife.

Damien

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2008, 10:04:21 pm »

Thanks guy's,
This Sub Chaser archive site  http://www.subchaser.org/home Has a huge amount of info including multiple photo's of models in true scale.
I like the smaller models as my only transport is an elec mobility scooter, and my models need to be carried at an angle behind the seat. Anylonger than 36" would overhang and obstruct other pedestrians. The nearest water is only 7km from me about a 2hr ride.
I purchased the plan on ebay in digital format in  both PDF & GIF files and had it printed at a builders plan printers.
The "Y" gun and depth charge rack were not on the plan scaled them up from pic's on the archive site.
Hull:- 
 1/4" Balsa flat bottom, 1/8" Balsa sides covered with 1/2oz glass cloth with polyester resin
Superstructure:-
 1/8" and 1/16" Balsa, windows and portholes I cut from black contact.

Can anyone point me to a seller of Sailors in 1/38 scale or close please.
Damien.

Powered Boat Mouldings

• Full Mayhemer
    • PBM + HSL Mouldings
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2008, 02:31:31 pm »

Hi Damien
              I realy like the sub chasers to, quick question, is that water line correct as she appears to have very little draft? If it is correct how does she handle? Does she roll? No relection on your workmanship just curious.

Regards Rob.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2008, 03:10:53 pm »

Hi Damien
George Turner does a few sailors at 1:40 scale. O0

http://www.georgeturnermodels.com/index.php?page=shopping&shop_cat_id=57
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Damien

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2008, 09:59:30 pm »

Hi Damien
              I realy like the sub chasers to, quick question, is that water line correct as she appears to have very little draft? If it is correct how does she handle? Does she roll? No relection on your workmanship just curious.

Regards Rob.

Hi Rob,
The waterline is in right spot as shown on plan, The model designer seems to have opted for simplicity by removing the bilge section of the hull and going for standoff scale making it flat bottomed, making it an easier build. The plan was featured in a May 1956 Young men magazine, the hull is made from 4 sheets of 1/4 x 3" ans 3 sheets of 1/8" x 3" balsa kept simple for the youth of '56, I started boat modelling in '64.
With batteries & radio gear I still had to add about 1kg of lead to get it to sit at this waterline. 1/2" from bottom
Model has only seen bath water so far to set her to waterline, she does bob like a cork when bath water stirred up though.
I have the plan and instruction article in PDF & GIF formats if anyone is interested, the plan calls for a Allyn outboard motor mounted inboard, however I converted it to single prop electric drive.
Damien.

Powered Boat Mouldings

• Full Mayhemer
    • PBM + HSL Mouldings
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2008, 09:46:42 pm »

Hi Damien
              Good luck with the maiden voyage :). I think you might need a false keel on her to stop the rocking and rolling. Keep us informed you have got me intrigued. :D

Regards Rob.

Damien

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2008, 12:25:12 pm »

Hi Damien
George Turner does a few sailors at 1:40 scale. O0

http://www.georgeturnermodels.com/index.php?page=shopping&shop_cat_id=57

Thanks Richard, I checked out the web site they look ideal, however the current exchanges rates and the cost of international money orders puts them at $48 for 6 to Australia. A bit steep for me.

Rob,
You may be right there's a bit of weight on the deck as well in the guns, depth charges and the Y gun launcher all being solid brass.
With a little effort i can remove the cast lead washers i've epoxied over the rudder post and re-cast into a false keel i've done it once before on a sailing schooner where i used a 24" length of 3/4" copper pipe filled with lead attached to the keel to alter the roll characteristics & make her friendly to sail, that model is over 35 years old now.
My digi camera will take up to two minutes of video, i'll try for some pic's & Video of the maiden voyage.
Damien. 

Mr Andy

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2008, 08:47:50 pm »

And you will also take a picture of the schooner Damien? Be nice to see. ;)

Andy. ;)

Damien

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2008, 08:00:07 am »

A few more pic's with satin top coat, only the electrics need to be refitted, I did a complete install before I put the safety rails in prior to painting.

And as requested By Andy 2 pic's of my 35 yo Schooner Emma C Berry from a Sterling Models kit, the motor was installed as i was living in a towm where the only suitable water was too small to turn her around under sail.
She operates on 4 Ch being the original Futaba FP6D 6 channel circa early '70's,  Rudder, Motor 540 style with Futaba ESC also from early '70's, 2 home made sail winches using archimedes screw principle controlling Main sail on one and the Jib & foresail on the other.

Damien

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2009, 05:17:12 am »

Well SC110 finally got her bum wet a few weeks ago and i got a couple of pic's 

Hi Damien

Regards Rob.

Rob, She lists a little to port the ESC and motor wiring is on port side a little little lead to starboard will fix thatthe bow is a little low with 12 sub C nicads up front but as the pic's show she looks good at this level, and handles really well, the wake of a 5' deep v at full song didn't bother her at all, a vert pleasant boat to drive.

Damien.

Niall

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2009, 10:38:12 am »

On figures Italeri do a set of 10 crew for their 1/35th scale PT boat. I can't give a direct link but its model number 5606 on -
http://www.italeri.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 22 queries.