Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question about RC  (Read 1957 times)

ManosGR

Question about RC
« on: March 03, 2008, 08:58:16 am »

Hi,
I am a student at a greek university and I plan on buying Graupner Sydney Star for a project at my department. The problem I am facing is that I would like to be able to control the model through a computer and not the RC unit. I know there are a few RC models that support communication with a PC through a serial port, but I cant find something similar to buy. Is there a Radio that supports this function? Or else is there something else you can suggest to help me? (I will need a 6 Ch R/C).Thank you for your time..

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Question about RC
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 10:42:00 am »

Being a two-channel 27meg sort of guy, this is a bit off my patch. 
If you want to remote control the moving boat, you are pretty much stuck with a radio working in the approved band.  If you just want to use the PC as a replacement for the TX control sticks, then I'm sure that the major makers have models with trainer facilities where one TX can be "buddied-up" with another- whether these are OK for PC connection is not something I know about, but there might well be a converter box for RS232 or USB to whatever standard the TX wants to see on its input socket.   There are certainly model helicopter flight simulators that use the TX as a control unit for the PC, but this is the wrong way round for this application.
I have seen remote control systems in the Maplin catalog that allow a PC to work a selection of remote devices, but because of range, legality and price problems I never bothered to follow them up.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Welsh_Druid

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 10:55:53 am »

Wasn't something similar  discussed in this thread ?

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=2441.0

Bee

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008, 11:01:02 pm »

Just what sort of control "by computer" did you have in mind? Is it just a case of wanting to replace the joystick with a mouse or do you want the boat to be autonomous under the control of its computer brain.
You probably should get hold of an older set where you can still get at the circuitry and not have it all in a singel chip. You will need to do some proper research ( ie not just by asking on here or other forums) into what the signal for a 6 channel radio consists of.

banjo

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008, 12:20:06 am »

;D

My Tito Neri has computer control.
Without delving too deeply into it the system is as follows....

Carputer(mini-mini-motherboad) in the boat, running a programme to control a digital interface which operates the servos, switches etc.

The clever bit is that the boat computer is "networked" to a laptop on the bank, via your normal WiFi network cards.; the laptop remotely controls the Carputer.

Simple really

O0

PS Will that get me a Greek BSc?

banjo

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2008, 12:45:32 am »

On the agenda now,a work in progress, is the ability to control the boat from a Website over the internet conning the boat with a selection of webcams.
Its not too difficult, the concept is established, the devil is in the detail.

;)

banjo

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2008, 01:08:37 am »

:)
Another avenue to explore is connecting a GPS receiver to your computer, interpet the "number" then tell the interface to move the boat to the next "number"
This is how it is done in real time.

This has got to be worth Hons....

O0
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 22 queries.