Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: new boat build, newbie member, hello!  (Read 2834 times)

lgosdset

new boat build, newbie member, hello!
« on: January 15, 2008, 02:18:49 pm »

Well, hello.

my name is chris and i am 23 years old, currently living in southampton. I have been intrested in models for a long time, I used to race rc cars and i built a tug. Unfortunatly this was when i was 15-16, and so i didn't take the most care and attention. I just wanted the tug to go round the lake and for the cars to go fast. anyway, i was thinking thinking that i haven't built a model for 7 years, and that to me sounds like a very, very long time. so I have decided i am going to build a model boat from scratch.

Having never built a model from scratch, I am full of questions that i need to find answers to. I know what type of model i want to build, a fast sleek jet black speed boat with a deep vee hull, that runs on nitro. I know I want it to be about 30" long, and I want it to be made out of wood. but that is about as far as i have got. I have been drawing various sketches of what i wish the final thing to look like, but have not come up with anything with any measurments. I want to decide on the hull first i think, so a deep vee made from wood, I assume a light ply of balsa would be good for this, however I would like as much advise as possible, i don't want to build it and then find it dosen't sit properly in the water.

also, i would like it to scale with an actual boat, alough it dosen't have to replicate a full size boat i want it to run and look like a real boat. I need advise also on rudders, engines, props, drive shafts, steped, non steped hulls, materials, the list seems endless right now. anyway, i am expecting a steep learning curve and i am mechanically minded, and i have a clear picture in my head of what i want to finished item to look like.

anyway, would just like to say hi, and i hope i can find some inspiration/ideas here!

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
Re: new boat build, newbie member, hello!
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2008, 02:25:30 pm »

Hi Chris
If you intend to use your boat in the Southampton area then i/c is not a good idea as you will not find anywhere you can use it as far as I know. O0
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

john54

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2008, 02:56:57 pm »

Hi
Take a look at the o.m.r.a site (sorry dont know how to do links !)
I am sure you will find lots of info there as well here.
You can run i.c boats at Southsea (near Portsmouth) as long as you dont go to mad  ;)

J.beazley

• Full Mayhemer
  • The building never ends
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2008, 02:58:50 pm »

I think your right Richard the only places i know of for IC in the area is the SOLENT itself but then you have to tackle the salt intake on the model.

I would advise posting a picture or sketch of how you want your model to look like then fellow members can give advice accordingly.

hi and welcome to the forum O0

Jay
1:48th scale for my ships. Large enough to show gratuitous detail, small enough to stay married.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2008, 03:13:17 pm »

Chris , contact Danny Bell [omra85] he might be able to help re i/c in the Southampton area. He's into racing those pointy things [never wins though] {-) O0

john54

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2008, 03:48:15 pm »

Conoe lake in Southsea (salt) they dont mind as long as you are very careful if theres scale boats running.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2008, 04:22:53 pm »

About the boat you want to build, find a website / picture of the kind of thing you have in mind and we'll see what available in the way of plans.

BTW. Dumas do a range of wood boat kits you may want to look at: http://www.dumasestore.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=47_54&osCsid=vlpntenm7m0jllshcq3mm4puc3

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

tolnedra

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2008, 05:29:47 pm »

I don't know if they still exist, but the Southampton MBC used to race i.c. in the New Forest, at a lake just down from Andrew's Mare car park. Perhaps the local library may be able to help, or the Eastleigh club may have more up-to-date information.

Danny

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2008, 06:18:11 pm »

Sorry I wrong there is the Model Power Boat Club (Southampton) who sail at  Foxhills Pond   :embarrassed:

Foxhills Pond can be found on Stoney Cross Plain, on the southern side of the A31 (opposite side to Stoney Cross airfield),  O0

http://www.volve.org.uk/directoryitem.aspx?index=217&item=3032&dataitem=2757     

lgosdset

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2008, 01:13:18 pm »

Thanks for the reply guys, I have been trying to find pictures of deep vees on google, and have been studying various ways of creating the hull, I think what i really need to come up with is a plan. I supose i am looking for something like the picture below, but not quite as camp. and also with a roof.

DaveB

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2008, 05:04:31 pm »

Have a look at Kerher i think my spelling is wrong but there is a link off of mayhem it's a german firm with some nice fast boats and a good reputation. Dave

lgosdset

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2008, 08:02:03 pm »

well if the actual boat i want to build is 25' long and i want my boat to be about 30" long then i guess that would make it about a 1/10 scale boat. so everything on the full size plan would have to be divided by ten right? That seems quite logical to me, but if there is a problem in my reasoning it would be good to know about.

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2008, 02:02:47 pm »

Not 'about' 1/10 it is 1/10. Nothing else wrong with your maths  :)

However, you may need to make some slight adjustments for model purposes eg where a part might be unfeasibly thin or where increased draft is required for stability.

Cheers 

Doug
Don't Assume Check

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2008, 03:06:32 pm »

Before you start it would be as well to check your scale with items you might need to see if they are available in that scale. O0
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 22 queries.