Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Battery charge rates - what do they mean?  (Read 1754 times)

Billyruffian

Battery charge rates - what do they mean?
« on: January 16, 2008, 08:52:37 am »

I have a Ripmax Pro-Peak charger.  In the manual it says that the charge rate dial should be set at max 3.0A when cahrging from 220/240v.

What relationship - if any - does the charge rate have with the battery rating.

For example I have a 6v 4300mAH NiMh Sub C battery, can I still charge this battery on the charger even though I can't exceed a charge rate of 3.0A?

Thanks for your advice and expalnations.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Battery charge rates - what do they mean?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 12:36:47 pm »

The rate of charge (and discharge) is measured in Amps.  The amount of electricity held is measured in Amp-hours. 
Your 3500 mAH battery can in theory* supply 3.5 amp for one hour, or 1 amp for 3.5 hours. 
Charging it, in theory, if you offered it 3 amps for 1 and a bit hours, it would be fully charged from empty.  The battery probably has or had a label saying that the charge should be 350 mA for 16 hours, or something similar.
Any time that a battery is charged or discharged, a chemical reaction is happening.  Most reactions involve heat, either applied, or generated.  Batteries generate heat when either charging or discharging.  Doing either fast generates heat fast, if the heat is generated too fast, the battery cannot get rid of the heat and the temperature rises beyond the point that it will stay in one piece.  (Been there, done it).
If a battery is charged fast, with or without an automatic charger, it will be warm at the end of the charge, and must be allowed time to cool before being heated further by a fast discharge..

* In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.  In practice, there is.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
  • Mayhem is the Only Forum!
    • Roys Hompage
Re: Battery charge rates - what do they mean?
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2008, 12:14:00 pm »

Billyruffian,

just remember it is not usually advisable to discharge NiMh batteries, it is recommended not to..........................

Roy
I try not to be naughty but nautical
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 21 queries.