Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tug motors  (Read 2964 times)

woodforc

Tug motors
« on: January 20, 2008, 09:32:16 am »

I'm about to start a Robbe Odin tug and have been thinking which motor to use. I've seen a website that sells robotic equipment (http://www.technobots.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Motors_74.html) and has some interesting motors that would seem suitable . Has anyone any experience of these motors? I'm new to the hobby and have built one boat (Scharrhorn - beautiful boat - awful kit) and went over the top with the motors.

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
Re: Tug motors
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2008, 10:35:06 am »

Car Heater Blower motors are also a good supply for large props not spinning too fast, cheap too!!

Bob
Officially a GOG.

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2008, 12:25:43 pm »

I've used car power seat motors. They're inexpensive (about $10 at our local surplus store), pleanty powerful. I can trun a 3 3/4" tug prop with ease, don't over heat and can direct drive or gear down as you wish. The current draw is low.
  Another modeelr near me has just used two of them to power a paddle tug with about  5" diameter feathering paddles, works beautifully.

oldiron

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2008, 12:33:50 pm »

For what it's worth, my advice to a newbie is to follow the recommendations of the kit manufacturer. With all due respect to both Shipmate60 and Oldiron, it might not be the optimum motor for the model and it might cost a bit more than a "scrapyard special" but at least it removes one potential source of disaster.
Once you have got a "feel" of the model you can experiment a bit with different props, voltages and motors to make it do exactly what you require e.g towing loads, steering tight courses or just sailing sedately around the lake.
Suit yourself.
FLJ

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2008, 12:46:51 pm »

FLJ,
woodforc is looking for alternatives to the recommended motors.
Also Alistaire at Model Motors Direct sells some good large slow revving motors.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Tom Eccles

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2008, 06:35:13 pm »

Hi Woodforc and welcome,

Looking at the size of the Odin I suggest you may wish to look at the Graupner 720bb Torque. It swings a decent size prop and Redbank models are selling them for about £25.00

Its your choice

Cheers
Clegg

Stavros

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2008, 07:06:38 pm »

Sorry to disagree, go for the proper Robbie motor WELL WORTH THE MONEY two of our lads have got them in their Odin tugs and one word to describe them AWSOME just remember you have to throw a 100mm Kort

Stavros

wingertaz

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2008, 09:54:29 pm »

Hi,
    S/H heater motor from a scrap yard about £5  :)
    New Graupner 720BB motor £23.99
    Recommended robbe power pack £82.50  ???
 All will power the model  O0 At the end of the day it depends on the depth of your pocket.

Regards Gary

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2008, 10:50:18 pm »

Hi Woodforc and welcome,

Looking at the size of the Odin I suggest you may wish to look at the Graupner 720bb Torque. It swings a decent size prop and Redbank models are selling them for about £25.00

Its your choice

Cheers
Clegg

instead of the graupner 720bb which is very good try the protec 720bb about half the rice of the graupner unit. I payed about £12.99 for one and it is just as good as the graupner unit same current draw etc only difference is the price.

john

wingertaz

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2008, 11:01:47 pm »

If any can be found ? snatch them up  O0

See http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=8288.0

Regards Gary
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 21 queries.