Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bolt rope for cotton sail.  (Read 3329 times)

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Bolt rope for cotton sail.
« on: January 20, 2008, 05:32:25 pm »

What is the best material for bolt rope for cotton sails.

I am aware that cotton will shrink when it gets wet, and so there is a potential problem with different rates of shrink.
Or am I worrying about nothing.

I will then be looking for a supplier of both 1.5mm and 2mm bolt rope.
Anybody know any suppliers?

Thanks in advance TT
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Big Ada

Re: Bolt rope for cotton sail.
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2008, 09:44:41 pm »

Hi TT,
When I built my Thames Sailing Barge I used a braided line that came from a Fishing Tackle Shop and dyed it with wood stain.

Len   ;)

longshanks

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2008, 10:06:34 pm »

Hi TT,
Couple of links for you. Not dealt with them but seen good feed back on second. I think this guy built a rather tasty pilot cutter. Both sites have many extra for rigging that might come in handy. Either may also be able to advise on material.
Regards
longshanks

http://www.mastman.co.uk/

http://www.modellingtimbers.co.uk/4520.html

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2008, 09:08:30 am »

Hi TT,
When I built my Thames Sailing Barge I used a braided line that came from a Fishing Tackle Shop and dyed it with wood stain.

Len   ;)
Likewise, i managed to get hold of the old fashioned cord - type fishing line (like the stuff you used to get on those square rack things at the seaside) and also dyed it

Mike

wideawake

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2008, 11:54:34 am »

Two thoughts.   I think I'd preshrink both the sail cloth and the (cotton) rope before use.  I've also been advised that it's best to avoid sewing sails with synthetic thread as it doesn't shrink  at all.   WRT suppliers, most of the usual sources seem to stock various suitable cord sizes though Modelling Timbers seems to have a  really good range from 6mm down.  Another source, used by (name escapes me) who wrote the build articles on SB Celia Jane in MB, is Doug Pawson of Footrope Knots  http://godzilla.bigwig.net/knots/footrope.htm

HTH

Guy

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2008, 12:38:51 pm »

Two thoughts.   I think I'd preshrink both the sail cloth and the (cotton) rope before use.  I've also been advised that it's best to avoid sewing sails with synthetic thread as it doesn't shrink  at all.   WRT suppliers, most of the usual sources seem to stock various suitable cord sizes though Modelling Timbers seems to have a  really good range from 6mm down.  Another source, used by (name escapes me) who wrote the build articles on SB Celia Jane in MB, is Doug Pawson of Footrope Knots  http://godzilla.bigwig.net/knots/footrope.htm

Just had a chat with these people.

Des Pawson the skipper is a good bloke and is really helpful. And they are not expensive.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2008, 12:13:13 pm »

Re Boltropes 
Most good fishing tackle shops con get (or maybe have in stock) 3 stranded linen fly-fishing line I use it for bolt ropes and for running rigging normally 20 or 30 lb test is about the correct size. It dyes easily with woodstain, but you can get it in different colors from bleached white to a dark tan.
Freebooter (Jimmy)
Retired  Ships Officer/ Master.
Experience: 50+ years at sea under Sail, Steam & Motor
Kings Lynn
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.114 seconds with 21 queries.