Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Soldering white-metal  (Read 2357 times)

flag-d

Soldering white-metal
« on: June 30, 2006, 10:43:37 pm »

I always thought it wasn't possible to solder white metal fittings, but am I right in thinking this?  I have managed to snap a couple of stanchions on my MTB and would like to solder them back together rather than re-fit.  If I can do this...how?

Waiting in hope!

Mike

RickF

• Full Mayhemer
  • Black, white and buff - not grey!
Re: Soldering white-metal
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2006, 10:55:17 pm »

Many years ago, when I used to be a railway modeller, building Wills "Finecast" whitemetal kits, there was an LMP (low melting point) solder that was recommended.

I never used it, being in the RAF with an unlimited supply of free Araldite. Then one day I foolishly put a LNWR "Jumbo" in an oven to cure! You can guess the rest!!!

Perhaps LMP solder is still available.

Rick

ambernblu

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2006, 11:15:49 pm »

Langley Models - Model Railway suppliers (of Crawley - West Sussex) http://www.langleymodels.co.uk/acatalog/index.htm do stock low melt solder packs (about 70 odd degrees c I think) for white metal kits.

gribeauval

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tidy Bench -Tidy Mind, Messy Bench - BUSY!!
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2006, 11:23:32 pm »

ANY model railway shop will have low melt solder in stock for their engine kit builders. It also comes in different melting point temperatures and is best used with a variable temperature soldering iron, or you need to be very fast not to melt the parts!!!!
True Lifeboat Nutter!!

Dave Leishman

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2006, 08:35:47 am »

I've been experimenting with soldering white metal recently and have found Chronos Ltd to stock everything that's needed and are fast on deliveries too. Here's a link to their solder supplies page -  Chronos solder page.

You really should use the correct flux for the 70 degree solder, as white metal oxidises very quickly and the flux is designed to cut through that.

I also invested in a temperature controlled soldering iron which has proved to be invaluable. I tried the normal iron first, just holding it on the white metal for the briefest period, and trying to remove it before it melted the white metal, but it's a very hit-and-miss technique and not to be recommended.

It's really straightforward using the temperature controlled iron, the correct solder and the right flux ;D

dannymax

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2006, 04:14:33 pm »

Use Carrs no clean solder cream...

dannymax

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2006, 04:15:22 pm »

cand l finescale stock a range.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 22 queries.