Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone know anglesey/wirral/north wales?  (Read 1532 times)

RipSlider

Anyone know anglesey/wirral/north wales?
« on: January 21, 2008, 11:09:03 pm »

Hello folks.

When I was younger and lived in Liverpool, my dad used to take me to a place either in the wirral or north wales.

The place in question overlooked either an esturary or the sea ( or possibly an enormous resivior, but I don't think so ). Above the water there was a car park, which lead to a bit of rocky contry with paths running between these giant rock formats.

If you look at the rocks, there is 200 years of graffitti chiselled into the stone. It's a very popular spot in summer, especially for kids clambering over the rocks. I recall an icecream van selling excellent ice cream.

I'm trying to locate it at the moment, as somewhere my dad did an "art work" for my Ma when they first started dating.

Problem is, while I can recall it vividly, I have no idea where it actually is.

If this rings any bells, please let me know.

Thanks

Steve

If this very poor description

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Anyone know anglesey/wirral/north wales?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 12:02:31 am »

It sounds like Thurstaston common to me the highest point on the Wirral overlooking the Dee estuary.

LB

Roger in France

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 08:01:48 am »

I agree, Thurstaston Common known locally as "Red Rocks". I used to walk my dog there regularly and knew it like the back of my hand. Good, safe walking for the family with plenty of space to escape those who tend to stay around the more popular climbing/scrambling places. Nearly always possible to find a dry underfoot walk because of the rock and drainage. Rock is soft, red sandstone.

Roger in France.

RipSlider

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2008, 11:06:53 am »

Thanks chaps.

The name doesn't ring a bell, but nothing odd about that.

Just to check, when you look at pretty much any of the rocks, are they literally covered in carvings? as in every little space taken up on hundreds of the rocks?

Thanks

Steve

botchit

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2008, 02:15:30 pm »

ripslider.
i agree with the others about it being thurstaton but over the  other side is bidston hill. on the side looking  towards liverpool overgrown now is an area also covered with names and dates going back to when sailors used to sit below the observatory watching for vessels coming in. Below it is rocks named the nanny goats by older generations. Nearly all gone though now redevelopment.

Roger in France

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2008, 06:08:52 pm »

Five years ago (when I was last there) it was not covered with carvings. It is more prolific in the more popular areas but, even there, it does not spoil the ambience.

Roger in France.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 21 queries.