Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: whats the difference?  (Read 3280 times)

lgosdset

whats the difference?
« on: January 20, 2008, 06:31:09 pm »

between marine and rc car speed controlers?

barryfoote

Re: whats the difference?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2008, 06:46:02 pm »

Sorry but can't resist........Marine controllers go in boats and car ones go in cars!!!

Sorry.....

lgosdset

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2008, 07:10:38 pm »

apart from that.

is it because of the power they draw or the motors they run?  are they waterproof or have a different method for cooling?

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2008, 07:21:37 pm »

apart from that ......  ::)

A lot of speed controllers used in motor cars have a braking facility built into them - so that when you come from full-ahead to go to reverse - it pulses reverse to stop the wheels first and then moments later, reverse kicks in.  But, yet again, on some of them you do not get full reverse you only get half of the speed in reverse as you do in full forward - plus the fact - motors in cars are thirsty little beasts  :o :o  so a lot of the speed controllers have big 'heat-sinks' on them.  Or, they have to be fastened to a metal chassis to absorb some of the heat.

on the Marine speed controllers....you should get full forward speed; neutral; and then full reverse; same speeds either way....some of them are water proofed and are sealed units; a lot like some of MTroniks but, and this IS ONLY MY OPINION with sealed units, if anything does go wrong with them - there is not a lot one can do with them, apart from putting them in the wpb.

aye
john e
bluebird
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

OMK

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2008, 09:25:25 pm »

I hope you got your ears on, lgosdset, for was that a neat explanation or was that a neat explanation?

barryfoote

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2008, 09:54:22 pm »

I hope you got your ears on, lgosdset, for was that a neat explanation or was that a neat explanation?

I thought mine was better than Bluebirds. It was more direct ha ha.

Seriously though. A cracking answer Bluebird.

Fast Electricals

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2008, 10:02:49 pm »

I have used controllers intended for aircraft cars and boats in my marine models. Marine controllers should have some degree of waterproofing but other than that our requirements are fairly basic. Aircraft controllers will often cater for higher voltages and usually have a soft start option and brake (but no reverse). Car controllers are generally intended for 7.2v operation and may have some fancy features such as ABS or current limiting (not really necessary for marine use). You could damage a 7.2v ESC if you try to run it on a 12v supply. Most car controllers can offer forward/reverse operation but some are forward only. Fast electric boats will not normally require a motor reversing function but for most other applications it is recommended.

Neil

OMK

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2008, 01:26:44 am »

Mate, you is a dude. I'd even bet a pound to penny that you'd know the difference between is and are. Your humour is bang on.
So what is it with your tribe? You all look so happy. Junior looks llike the cat that got the cream. Junior's missus looks even better than cream. You look like you're in heaven with that babbie bouncing on your knee. And even your missus looks gorgeous (I grocked the avatar photo on the tugboat site).

Let me ask you a question...
How does it work?
One minute you're in Blighty; the next you're in Spain.
How do you go about making the move?

barryfoote

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2008, 07:25:45 am »

Mate, you is a dude. I'd even bet a pound to penny that you'd know the difference between is and are. Your humour is bang on.
So what is it with your tribe? You all look so happy. Junior looks llike the cat that got the cream. Junior's missus looks even better than cream. You look like you're in heaven with that babbie bouncing on your knee. And even your missus looks gorgeous (I grocked the avatar photo on the tugboat site).

Let me ask you a question...
How does it work?
One minute you're in Blighty; the next you're in Spain.
How do you go about making the move?

PMK,
I think we IS a happy bunch (oops sorry....I mean are). They say absence makes the heart grow stronger and we do live 1500 miles apart. That said and seriously, Junior has a wonderful wife and so do I. My good lady is the most beautiful woman I ever clapped eyes on, so much so that when she got to 40 I decided it was time she retired so we simply packed it all in and moved down here to where the sun shines and it costs less to live. I was forced out of my career with injury.

Great move.

OMK

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2008, 11:41:13 am »

A great move indeed. If truth be known I'm pig-sick jealous.

Anyway, thanks for the chat. You've got a boat to build, so I'll get out your hair and let you get on with it.
Keep us posted with the photos, eh?

Take care down there, amigo.

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2008, 12:39:17 pm »

A lot of car controllers are designed to work with lower voltages only i.e. 6-8.4 volts.

IMO boat electric systems are better on 12 volts. The range of motors is superior, thinner wiring etc.

Most marine controllers are usually configured to run upto this. The best controllers will accept 24 volts.

Andy
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.114 seconds with 22 queries.