Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Model Boats Mag  (Read 3451 times)

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
Model Boats Mag
« on: January 22, 2008, 08:50:50 am »

Very interesting edition with an excellent article by Colin on the MPBA National Scale Finals.

The couple of shots of models in rough seas are a bit frightening and Colin's very own Reculver looks to be in a force 10!!
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
  • Location: Howden.East Riding of Yorkshire.England Near the banks of the river Ouse
    • goole model boat club indi site
Re: Model Boats Mag
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 09:26:48 am »

very interesting too ,the seas at Wickseteed were a bit choppy to say the least ,from the photos .It looked a shame about the nangee but as i have one myself i can believe it as the free board is very minimal and unless it is sealed like ministeve's then down she will go .
I think we will be having a go at towing and steering at Goole this year with a bit of help from the MPBA ,although on our pond it may be a bit tighter due to the size .
But even though a few boats went down i am glad to hear that none were totaly scuppered ,a good write up by Colin indeed.
daz
I like to build my boats to play with, not to just look pretty, so they dont !

Wiggy

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 03:53:11 pm »

Hi BunkerBarge and Daz,

The 'Nangee' at Wicksteed was owned by John Fawcett and after it had been recovered, it was found to have a split between the bulwark and the deck which didn't help much. Not having seen the article yet, I hope Colin included a shot of one of the Northampton members rescuing the boat ( with no waders on ) who had to go home and get changed. If it had of been scaled up. it was the equivalent of sailing in a hurricane with a twenty foot swell and fortunately all models were saved to sail another day. Hopefully will see you during the year Daz at Goole for the towing.

Paul.

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2008, 03:56:37 pm »

There is indeed a picture of the boat being rescued by a very hardy gentleman.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
  • Location: Howden.East Riding of Yorkshire.England Near the banks of the river Ouse
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2008, 06:17:12 pm »

and had the water been deeper then i suspect he would be a little lighter in the voice  {-) .
daz

Made it to 80 (25p Richer now)

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2008, 10:38:08 pm »

This pic may give you some idea of what the conditions were like. I do have others if people are interested
I'm not old I'm mature middle aged

Colin H

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2008, 10:43:12 pm »

Whoops that looks like time to retire to the beer tent.

Colin H.
do every thing today tomorrow may not arrive.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2008, 11:00:38 pm »

That's my boat in the middle there! I'm surprised I got it back!

Colin

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2008, 11:10:43 pm »

It will have been soup and a sandwich on thier menu that day!! 

Real North Atlantic weather! O0

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2008, 11:24:11 pm »

It can be surprising just how bad a short choppy sea can be. You can get it full size in the Solent with wind against tide and it's enough to stop a small yacht dead in its tracks. You just sit there going up and down, getting wet and going nowhere!

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2008, 07:02:27 am »

By the look of the photo Colin the waves are in a scale size prob to 40ft in real size.
daz

Wiggy

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2008, 06:19:42 pm »

Maybe true Daz but Colin builds to a different scale to mine fortunately so my tug looks higher up in the waves. Al Khubars in those conditions are certainly fun to sail,bad enough in a gentle breeze but in that gale  ::) As for the beer tent, we wished, tea and a bun would have been nice. Thanks for the pic. Bob and will hopefully see you soon.

Paul.

Stavros

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2008, 10:50:41 pm »

Cor blimey you complain about SMALL waves like that.They are small in comparison to some we get on LLanberis Lake O0

Stavros

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2008, 08:16:06 am »

thing is though Stavros the pond at Whicksteed is only small ,unlike Llanberis where the waves have nearly a mile to build up before they crash down in the slate banks ,or even wash the decks of your favorite model :) .
daz

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2008, 10:53:24 am »

Whats this then ? A my waves are bigger than your waves competition.  :-\ ::)
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Wiggy

« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2008, 06:15:20 pm »

Hi Stavros,

It wasn't so much the size of the waves that got most boats, it was that there was no direction from which they were coming at you. The far end of the lake is just past the line of booms at the top of the pic. and flat calm. The walkway edge is from where the pic. was taken and the waves were coming down the lake which was ok until they hit the concrete walkway and then echoed them back at you. The water just lifted without any frequency or rythmn to it so no matter which way you faced could you get your bows turned into it to ride them. The day before, saturday, was flat calm and no breeze and the water was like glass which was just as well as we did tug towing, now that could have been interesting if the weather had of been the same as the sunday!

Paul.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2008, 07:17:24 pm »

The other problem was that the astern section of the course had been laid out at 90 degrees to the wind direction. This meant that models were negotiating it slowly beam on. In my case the wind was pushing the boat over to the extent that the boat deck was awash allowing water to enter between the deck and the hull side. As Paul says, the waves were all over you from everywhere so you couldn't ride them out normally. Just one of those things and no reflection on the very good course laid out by the Northampton Club.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 21 queries.