Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Just to see if I could?  (Read 5926 times)

GG

Just to see if I could?
« on: September 13, 2009, 06:04:10 pm »

I wanted to add a fourth model to a series of Royal Navy Destroyers.  The most tempting one was one based on the "M" class of WW1.  But, to keep within a common scale of 1:144 it would end up being under 24 inches (60 cm) long and weigh in at 20 ounces (0.5 kg) with a frighteningly small beam.
By using small RC gear and four "AA" cells to power it, plus checking the weight at all stages, it was possible to do this. Stability has been tested and despite disappearing behind the occasional wave crest, it definitely know which way is up.  Flushed with this success another model based on the even smaller TBD's is tempting.
GlynnG

GG

Re: Just to see if I could?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2009, 06:23:51 pm »

Agh!! where have the damn photos gone???
Try again!!
GlynnG

GG

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2009, 06:43:09 pm »

Third time lucky??
GlynnG

GG

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2009, 06:44:54 pm »

Apparently not, clearly building models is easier than posting pictures on websites.
GlynnG

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2009, 06:55:49 pm »

lol!
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

GG

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2009, 07:12:06 pm »

Try, try again....!
GlynnG

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2009, 07:58:59 pm »

Excellent  :-))
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

swampbug

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2009, 11:38:33 am »

Wow, very good,

I would if i did that.

Well done fleet i looking good  :-))

Capt. Spaulding

• Full Mayhemer
  • Hurray for Captain Spaulding, the African explorer
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2009, 11:01:45 pm »

Lovely work. Do you have ant construction photos/equipment specs to share?

Cheers,
Capt. Spaulding

GG

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2009, 07:08:34 pm »

Capt. Spaudling (I too like the Marx Bros films!)
              The three older models (H.M.S Ambuscade, Lagos and Ivanhoe) have all appeared as published plans in the magazine Model Boats.
All use a hull and superstructure built from sheet balsa, which has proved light and strong enough for the job.  Durable too as the oldest is 37 years old.  Details from card, wire, plastic..... in otherwords anything that is cheap and light. All powered with a "385" or equivalent motors on 3-4 nicads plus two function RC.
The plans and build article for H.M.S. Mandate are with the Editor of Model Boats, expect publication in next 12 months.
GlynnG

Capt. Spaulding

• Full Mayhemer
  • Hurray for Captain Spaulding, the African explorer
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2009, 07:00:10 pm »

GlynnG:

Many thanks for the information, and the appetite-whetting note about the upcoming build article. Just enough to tip the scales and get me to renew my subscription.

Cheers,
Capt. Spaulding

maninthestreet

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2009, 10:41:06 pm »

Capt. Spaudling (I too like the Marx Bros films!)
              The three older models (H.M.S Ambuscade, Lagos and Ivanhoe) have all appeared as published plans in the magazine Model Boats.
All use a hull and superstructure built from sheet balsa, which has proved light and strong enough for the job.  Durable too as the oldest is 37 years old.  Details from card, wire, plastic..... in otherwords anything that is cheap and light. All powered with a "385" or equivalent motors on 3-4 nicads plus two function RC.
The plans and build article for H.M.S. Mandate are with the Editor of Model Boats, expect publication in next 12 months.
GlynnG

What about HMS Matador?

GG

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2009, 12:47:40 pm »

If this is a question I'm "xxxxx" if I know how to answer it!
GlynnG

maninthestreet

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2009, 02:17:44 pm »

If this is a question I'm "xxxxx" if I know how to answer it!
GlynnG

I was trying to point out that you've designed plans for more than 4 RN Destroyers, HMS Matador being another one of your impressive creations.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2009, 03:48:54 pm »

MAGM2008 HMS Matador
Designed By G Guest RC Destroyer 1/144 30IN 76CM

GG

« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2009, 07:03:13 pm »

Dear Maninthestreet,
                             The clue is in the name, the Royal Navy never had a destroyer named "Matador".  So this model could never be regarded as scale and could not be included with the four destroyer models which were based upon real vessels.
By the way, why has my post been altered?  I used a perfectly reasonable word which simply means an exclamation of annoyance and Yes, I looked it up in a dictionary before using it.  So I will say it again ""xxxxx"" and be doubly ""xxxxx"" if some anonymous person who does not know the English language alters it again.
GlynnG

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2009, 07:13:41 pm »

You are fighting the website software with your xxxx and you wont win Glynn  ;)

GG

« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2009, 08:39:10 pm »

Dear DickyD,
If that's the case the Engineer in me says "lets test this software"
Dick - a mans name
Prick - to make a small hole
Shaft - as in propshaft
Coon - a breed of cat
Niger - African river
Black - as the opposite of White
Prostitute - to debase ones talents
"illigitimate" - false
If it throws these words out then one has to question the ethics of creating such software and using it.
Many words have quite different meanings dependent of how they are used.  A word cannot cause offence until you have the context in which it is being used to guide any decision to be made.
To use such a system (human or mechanical) that automatically rejects any word that may offend is despicable or is it despotical?

GlynnG
P.S. all the above words have run through the forum's spell check save despotical but that's staying 'cos it's in my dictionary

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2009, 08:52:27 pm »

Glynn,

The truth is that it doesn't really matter what you think. The censoring software is whatever the programmer built into it. Programmers are not known for their command of the English language and its applications - blame our educational system. Many sites have similar features with their own quirks and it's not worth making an issue of it. My previous local authority employer had an archaeological unit with it's own website which was named Shovelbums. It's own software had a fit of the vapours every time somebody tried to access it. Don't expect linguistic sophistication where the circumstances preclude it!

Colin

GG

« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2009, 09:08:05 pm »

Now then Mr Bishop, this is where you and I totally part company.
You seem willing to accept the world as is and settle for making yourself as comforable as possible within it.  Me, if I see something that looks wrong then I try to question it, test it and, if possible, improve on it.  If everyone accepted the "status quo" then the human race would still be wondering if coming out of the trees was worth trying.
GlynnG

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2009, 10:13:09 pm »

Just being pragmatic Glynn. The SMF Forum Software is very widely used. I'm sure that if we made enough fuss and bother then it might be possible to change things but for me life is too short and I simply can't be bothered to spend time on what is essentially a trivial matter. If you feel strongly about it and have the time available then you can register with SMF and post your comments on their Forums which may or may not bring about the results you would like to see. I'm not saying that it isn't worth doing, just that I personally have too many other demands on my time. Just personal priorities I suppose!

Colin

GG

« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2009, 10:17:27 am »

No problem Colin, you and I know each other well enough to understand our respective positions.  In fact I have a sneaking respect for the people who can, without complaint, make a flawed system work.  I am, however, blessed with a questioning curiosity which needs to look beneath the superficial skin of the world and understand the hows and whys, for which I blame the cutaway drawings in the old Eagle comic of my childhood!
Just to accept things without questioning seems to be a dangerous thing.  Who was it who said, "all evil needs to triumph is that good men do nothing"?
Enough on this subject, I've got to get the chainsaw out.  No! this is not a new approach to building model boats but a recalcitrant tree stump.... but now I think about it??
GlynnG

Cheef

« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2009, 11:05:05 am »

Interesting concepts gentlemen but I think, as usual that the best approach is in the middle.  I don't think for a second that Colin is advocating sitting back and doing nothing, which I don't support, neither do I support attacking everything in sight that I don't agree with.

As an engineer my own approach to everything is to make best use of the resources I have available to me.  Therefore I select the challenges that I think I have a chance of resolving  without wasting huge amounts of effort and I think that Colin is simply advocating this approach.  In this day and age of political correctness gone mad there are no end of programmers trying to justify thier existance by coming up with lists of words that could 'possibly' offend to drive the rest of the 'thinking population nuts.  I found out once that referring to a propeller as a scr*w, a common term in the field of marine engineering, was most definately not allowed.

It will be interesting to see where you get with this Glynn but I think the effort will far outweigh the results.  Another usefull engineering concept that I use regularly in real life is "If you can achieve a 90% result for 50% effort why spend the remaining 50% effort for the last 10% result!!

Let us know how you get on.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2009, 11:44:36 am »

Quite right Cheef! At the County Council I used to work for I used to have problems in exchanging lists of outstanding maintenance works with our consultants which were frequently automatically quarantined by our IT department because there were references to items such as renewal of ball cocks....

Colin

P.S. Well, got that one through anyway!  %)

GG

« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2009, 05:49:41 pm »

Tree stumps removed along with what seemed like a fair sized forrest.  Now to find a modelling use for all these pieces of lumber.

It's all very well to accept something well short of perfection provided the shortcomings are clearly spelt out.  I hope that it is made clear in published work that most of my models are built using this approach.  A good examples are the dynamic diving submarines I've designed, with no ballast tanks or sophisticated control systems their cost is modest but they still can provide a lot of operating pleasure.

As for accepting something which is flawed, especially if it purports to have been made/designed/ performed by people claiming to be "professionals" then this, I feel, is asking too much.  If presented with poor quality or service then you ought to complain, if no satesfactory answer is forthcoming then you can start with questions.  But, it is only fair to do this if you are willing to praise good quality or service.

Yes, it's far simpler to take what you are given and keep your head down.  But this only drives the average standards down as no one has any inducement to do more than average. I'm reminded of a consultant who was paid by a large national organisation to vet all the ideas and suggestions that they received.  He quickly worked out that 90% of the ideas were none starters and so rejected all of the suggestions sent to him.  Using the sort of logic that might appeal to Bankers, he claimed that the generous fee received for his efforts was worth the 90% success rate he achieved.  But, to my simple mind I'd say he had a 100% failure rate.
GlynnG
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.118 seconds with 22 queries.