Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: S.O.S!  (Read 4601 times)

Pointy

S.O.S!
« on: July 01, 2006, 08:54:17 pm »

Help!

After seven months of building and painting I'm spraying varnish to the hull and its all going wrong!!

I've used the recommended Halfords car acyrlic spray paint and the varnish I'm using is one recommended in Model Boats, Arcrylic Satin lacquer spray by Chsetnut Products. The guy who reviewed the Model Coaster kit among many others always recommends it so I thought I'd try it.

The result is a layer of what looks like white dust patches in places, the whole model looks...well dusty and dull- its fine over white but over blue and red in looks....bad!

Anyone got any advice please!!!! :'(

Stavros

Re: S.O.S!
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2006, 10:45:20 pm »

Oh dear me well why did you not use the halfords laquer?Have you thinned the varnish down properly,did you use the correct thinners was the gun set up correct,was it too hot ,were you spaying too far away from the model and causing teh varnish to laand on the model too dry,there are so many variable when spraying,eitterh by aerosol or by spray gun,all I can suggest is to start again !!

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2006, 10:56:00 pm »

pointy, right lets go back to the plastic.

yes you may hate me for this! but sand ALL the paint off, ?then wash the hull under a stream of water. ?this will have any remaining paint and release residue off the model.

1/ ensure model is TOTALLY dry first.

2/ apply plastic primer and allow to dry. ?

3/ mask off to suit then spray first colour coat, (preferably the same brand as the primer) and allow to dry.

4/ respray area again with the same colour and allow to dry. ?(repeat this process to suit)

5/ after 1st colour is dry after you are satisfied with the finish remove masking tape. ?

6/ mask again but this time put the tape on the first colour, and apply the second colour, allow to dry.

7/ repeat the painting stage of stage 6 and allow to dry completely

8/ remove masking tape then apply the clear gloss coat,allowing coat to dry ?preferably the same brand as your paint and primer. ?

9/ at this point add any waterslide transfers. ?(the use of high gloss clear coat means that the edges of the water slide transfers will not be seen) ?once they are dry and to your satisfaction, spray the satin clear coat, or matt clear coat (your preference) but again try to keep to the same brand.

My personal preference is for plasticote enamel sprays and it is these that i used on Celestia (see attatchment)
Go Nuclear!  you'll love it

Pointy

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2006, 12:50:02 am »

Thanks guys, but start again  :'(!!

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2006, 01:13:32 am »

I airbrush Ronseal clear satin varnish....its fantastic stuff, its tough, scratch resistant, waterproof, and most of all its satin! Ok..you may have to totaly clean your airbrush up as it sticks like sh?t to a blanket!!!...but who cares.

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
  • Mayhem is the Only Forum!
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2006, 06:47:34 pm »

I usually paint most of my boats with enamel and have not had a problem, whether the hull has been Plastic Fibreglass or Timber, but as everyone else said you have to prepare correctly and stick to the one type of paint if possible, limits adverse reactions...

Roy
I try not to be naughty but nautical

Pointy

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2006, 10:39:31 pm »

Well I suppose we learn by doing, don't understand what went wrong, have gone over it with a gloss lacquer same type as the paint and that has helped. Spent a while sanding and filing and had to do a bit more spraying..... which involved even more masking etc... Do you ever feel that you take one step forward and two steps back sometimes? I'm going to give it another coat of gloss tomorrow than I may try putting a layer of Humbrol Satin Cote over that. I feel like I'm never going to finish it!

Made it to 80 (25p Richer now)

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2006, 10:51:37 pm »

Yep pionty all my life one step forward two back keep at it mate all will be allright on the night as they say
                                          cheers
                                               Bob B

I'm not old I'm mature middle aged

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2006, 10:34:04 pm »

......Humbrol Satin Cote over that. I feel like I'm never going to finish it!

you said the H word! noooo avoid humbrol like you would avoid bubonic plague,
no wander you had problems with halfords base layers!

humbrol, Humbrol HUMBROL!!!!! G'ah!

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2006, 11:29:21 pm »

I still use Humbrol on wooden hulls, yes will agree not as good as it was.
I even airbrushed WITHOUT thinning last night.
But there is no adverse reactions as long as you use the tinlets and not mix with Humbrol spray tins.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2006, 07:17:35 pm »

hombrol is ok, WITH OTHER HUMBROL paints, I did some touch up using the tinlets onto halfords paint, and next thing was the dreded spider coat eggshell effect!

Tester

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2006, 07:59:14 pm »

It's not really Humbrol paint that is the problem, it is using Enamel, in this case Humbrol,paints with Acrylic ie Halfords.

The make of the paint is immaterial, enamel and acrylic don't mix

Richard

Pointy

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2006, 09:10:10 pm »

Thanks guys, guess I won't be touching the Humbrol stuff- just can't risk it keep taking 1 step forward and 4 back sometimes!!! As for this weather..... its slowing down my will to get on with it. Is it okay to spray paint in this kind of heat, does it effect varnish etc...?

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2006, 11:04:28 pm »

the heat shouldnt be a big issue, its the dampness that may be, so if its warm and dry get the cans out!

A Model World

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem does what it says on the tin
    • A Model World
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2006, 07:04:17 am »

Just another tip on this subject we learnt to our peril don?t mix Halfords lacquer/acrylic with that of the local car accessory shop who usually do a carplan range of acrylics and vice a versa despite being both acrylics they don?t like each other.  Another trick is Halfords frequently have a buy one get one free on paint at certain times usually the store know in advance when this will be, its worth going back then and stock up  ;D ;D ;D
Daily flogging?of the ships crew will continue until morale improves

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2006, 11:15:35 am »

Also be aware that the Halfords range does still include some non-acrylic paint, such as red lead.
This does cayse problems too if applied to a different paint undercoat.
Its not quite as straight forward as you might think!!
Check the tin.
If in douby I always use Humbrol enamel, the only problem I have had so far is on a hull that had a "Boot Topping" using an unknown glue.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Pointy

« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2006, 01:54:30 pm »

Hmm, thanks for the heads up.

If I'm using halford's gloss lacquer, any ideas what I can spray over it for a Satin finish? I haven't seen a matt or Satin lacquer in Halfords store. ???

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2006, 04:56:39 pm »

Depends how brave you are.
I have used Ronseel mattcote and satin over fully dried halfords paint.
Might be worth making a test piece and trying it, then just paint something like the outer side of bilge keels, so if anythibg does go wrong only a little rubbing down.
But I have used it and had no problems.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2006, 08:32:47 pm »

pointy, there is a satin by plasticote, I used that ontop of halfords acrylic, to ensure it was safe I first masked off the entire hull excep fot a 2" square patch at the bottom, then sprayed a test piece.

Plasticote satin clear should be ok for use with halfords :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 22 queries.