Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Working at Sea  (Read 4939 times)

chingdevil

Working at Sea
« on: January 23, 2008, 11:09:38 pm »

I notice as I look at the threads that are posted on this forum how knowledgeable a large number of you are on ships and seamanship. It never ceases to amaze me how much people know

So I have a question:-

How many of you work or have worked on a ship, any type, any size including National Service and not forgetting the lifeboats. You can put the names if you want, if not it makes no difference

This is for my own interest nothing sinister, I will not be using the information in any way.

Brian

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Working at Sea
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 11:16:50 pm »

ex BP Tankers.

Ian
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

john strapp

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 11:37:17 pm »

Shell Tankers  and RNXS      JS

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 11:59:05 pm »

Over 100 different fishing vessels ( brought up in a fishing family and did 9 years as a Fishery Scientist in the 1990's going out 10-12 trips per year on anything from a 25ft GRP trawler off Eyemouth to a 240ft trawler doing a Herring trawl survey off the west coast of Scotland and a 160ft Purser fishing for Herring 300nm East of Iceland ) , 240ft Fishery Research Vessel ( 3-4 times a year for 9 years ).

Started going to sea aged 5 aboard the David John A169 in my summer holidays so started young and it gave me the interest I have to this day in the traditional side trawlers.

Davie
Davie Tait,
Scotland

norry

• Full Mayhemer
  • ...Get Your Tugs Out For The Bouys...
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2008, 01:40:06 am »

...HI Guys...

My father has owned a boat since I was knee high to the anchor...

I have Worked on boats all my life...Tugs, Dredgers, Barges, Fishing Boats & Survey Vessels...

Owned & Skippered my own Angling/Workboat/tug for 15 years...My 2 sons & I now own a wee 15 foot Angling Boat which we tow around the country on a trailer to various Lochs & Harbours...

I cant remember there never being a boat in my Family...Even though we lived in a small Ayrshire Village 10 miles from the coast...

For 10 years my Father had a 30 foot Fishing Boat in the garden...My teens were spent helping Father to  completely strip & rebuild it...It was a very unusual site so far away from the sea...

I find that I cant go more than about 3 days now without going down to the sea & just breathing in the sea air...

...Best Regards...Norry...
...Get Your Tugs Out For The Buoys...

Dave Buckingham

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2008, 06:51:35 am »

35 years in the Merchant most types of ships

Retired when we ran out of ships
Dave

a3nige

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2008, 08:55:41 am »

Sugar Line, engineer.
"You're a hard person to ignore, but well worth the effort !"

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2008, 09:02:50 am »

Apprentiship with Manchester Liners, then a few years mostly on box boats North Atlantic but also a gas tanker, bulkies and different trade routes thrown in for good luck.

Couple of years ashore then back to Cunard Line in the Carribean and the North Atlantic including QE2, shore side with them for a couple of years as a Fleet Training Officer.  Changed employer so Italian shipyard for two years and now Chief Engineer of a Cruise ship.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2008, 09:30:17 am »

Apprenticeship on Cardiff tramps (Idwal Williams) couple of trips on a Geordie tramp, well -Sunderland ! (Thistle boats) 8 years working out of Hong Kong - Jardines, few months in RFA. Finishing off with 20-odd years with United Baltic Corp. Finished as 'professional Harry Tate' ie never managed to get that magic piece of paper that would have allowed me to join the hallowed 'Master Mariner'  ::) ::) Mainly dry cargo and ro-ro plus feeder box boats

Mike

IainM

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2008, 10:56:53 am »

Apprentice engineer up to Chief Engineer with Shell Tankers (started when it was Anglo Saxon Petroleum Company!!) over 20 years.  RNR for 10 years (MCMV's etc etc).
Swallowed the anchor in a move to BP Chemicals and ended up as Inspection Manager including working offshore.
My own consultancy on Risk Analysis and Management for 10 years and now re-tyred and starting on my second childhood  :D

Gee doesn't time fly when you're having fun  {-)

Iain

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2008, 01:12:35 pm »

Marine Engineer - 14 years deep-sea followed by 17 years shore superintendency and 5 years consultancy. (What's a Consultant? - Just an ordinary guy who lives more than 30 miles away...  ::)  )

Peterm

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2008, 03:15:56 pm »

This probably does not count, but:  Bomb Disposal (expert???),  worked on missile-firing SRN 5 hovercraft for 8 months.
I`m not just old, I`m ancient

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2008, 05:03:07 pm »

This probably does not count, but:  Bomb Disposal (expert???),  worked on missile-firing SRN 5 hovercraft for 8 months.

The fact that you are here typing, must mean you were at least an expert  :D :D. That isn't the old grey hovercraft tucked around the side of the shed at Lee on Solent is it ?
Mike

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2008, 05:27:29 pm »

MoD RMAS Ships 30 yrs

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Tankerman

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2008, 05:46:32 pm »

From engineer apprentice to Chief Engineer's ticket (Steam) with Caltex and Texaco in the 60's and early 70's. I sailed on tankers from 12000dwt. to 250000dwt. both motor ships and steam ships. I preferred steam ships and came ashore when all my favourite vessels were scrapped.

Chris

Peterm

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2008, 06:13:42 pm »

Mike, haven`t been there for years, could be.   Pete M
I`m not just old, I`m ancient

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2008, 06:45:43 pm »

Mike, haven`t been there for years, could be.   Pete M
it looks a bit ancient with strange bits sticking out. I'll try and get a picture next time I go for a walk past there
Mike

Turbulent

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2008, 08:49:54 pm »

Ex RN - ASW Frigates.

"During the cold war Rodney... "

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
  • Mayhem is the Only Forum!
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2008, 11:51:24 am »

No where near the experiences of most of the postings, but was the skipper of a passenger ferry in New South Wales, it was the first concrete passenger vessel in Australia as far as I know....

Roy
I try not to be naughty but nautical

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2008, 07:02:49 pm »

Apprenticeship on Cardiff tramps (Idwal Williams) couple of trips on a Geordie tramp, well -Sunderland ! (Thistle boats) 8 years working out of Hong Kong - Jardines, few months in RFA. Finishing off with 20-odd years with United Baltic Corp. Finished as 'professional Harry Tate' ie never managed to get that magic piece of paper that would have allowed me to join the hallowed 'Master Mariner'  ::) ::) Mainly dry cargo and ro-ro plus feeder box boats

Mike
Interesting that you were with United Baltic....a club member is currently building a U.Baltic ship but is having a problem with the deck colour. Can you help? Cheers. BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

farrow

« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2008, 09:48:31 pm »

7 years working on coastal barges and Home Trade coaster with Crescent Shipping and Western Shipping, then 33 years and 4 months with the Port Auxiliary which became Royal Maritime Auxiliary Service during which I served in virtually every type of vessel they had. From small port vessels to Cable Laying vessels, a very varied and interesting Career, which took around Europe the Med and even the Gulf to Falkland Islands, the RMAS was not all and only harbour tugs. Sad thing that although it was destroyed in 1996 due to privatisation the rump finish's this April, when a none maritime outfit takes over and out contract it's work. As Shipmate 60 he still works there and is trying to negotiate for the workforce.

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2008, 09:30:18 am »

Mike
Interesting that you were with United Baltic....a club member is currently building a U.Baltic ship but is having a problem with the deck colour. Can you help? Cheers. BY.

Morning Bryan
The decks were green just seeing if this is anywhere near the shade No a bit darker than that ! Which ship is he building ??

regards

Mike

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2008, 04:16:54 pm »

Mike

Morning Bryan
The decks were green just seeing if this is anywhere near the shade No a bit darker than that ! Which ship is he building ??

regards

Mike
Don't see him that often but I will try and find out.
No sooner said than done. The wonders of the telephone!
As a matter of interest he lives in Lanchester and was an Engineer (a proper one) with Blue Flue. He is more than grateful for your advice, but has further questions. I shal send you a PM soon. Bryan.
Notes from a simple seaman

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2008, 05:03:05 pm »

O.k waiting to hear from you, Bryan. Incidentally I have a CD that somebody made up of UBC ships past and recent along with all sorts of stuff - from photo's of Shackleton's expedition to Hull coat of arms !! If he would like a copy let me know and I will copy one off

Mike

andywright

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2008, 08:04:03 pm »

Me? 36 years,  professionally, been mucking about in boats since a kid, then 11 years as navigating officer with Manchester Liners container ships, trading mainly North Atlantic, but also world wide on chartered vessels, then fishing vessel and tug master, the last 15years Master on a small Navigational Aids Tender, working the West and South coast of the UK.
Navigational Aids vessel Master. Old Conway 70-72
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 23 queries.