Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Smoke units - which one?  (Read 19253 times)

barryfoote

Re: Smoke units - which one?
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2008, 08:58:25 am »

Hi Garston and welcome to the mad house. That drifter of your looks superb. The detailing and weathering are excellent. Do you have any details of her and the smoke unit which sounds very interesting indeed.

Barry

Marks Model Bits

• No Mustang Mark
  • Full Mayhemer
  • http://marksmodelbits.com/
    • Marks Model Bits
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2008, 05:18:31 pm »

Here is a link to my generator fitted in Canning.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlK6o9v9qvI

Mark.
I HAVE NOT FAILED, I HAVE FOUND 1000 WAYS THAT DON'T WORK.!!!!

http://marksmodelbits.com/

garston1

« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2008, 06:43:38 pm »

Hiya Barry, Here's some more of my drifter today taken at New Brighton.  The boat itself is totally scratch, the only metal is the search light and copper Nav lights, the rest including the hull is wood, the rust is real rust mixed with super glue and the barnacles are made by brushing fibre glass resin on the hull, throwing sand on it and then painting it green and brown. And of course the the smoke unit is a 12v unit that includes a tank for bay oil an element thats coated with glass fibre insulation and kept damp with the oil and then heated, the result is the smoke you see in pics below. photos of the unit will be posted soon, cheers. Martin 8)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: my drifter
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2008, 06:58:19 pm »

Fantastic photos, some of the best I've seen of a model boat!

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

The long Build

« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2008, 07:28:42 pm »

Were those photos taken today ? , if so I must have been stood right behind you when they were taken, there were some cracking boats there today and the pontoons make it look really great, quite a bit of steam came out of that when you set off.

bosun

• Full Mayhemer
    • bosunsmodelboats.com
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2008, 08:47:56 pm »

Superb Photo,s and a cracking looking boat, I take my hat off to you, excellent.
Bosun
bosunsmodelboats.com

garston1

« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2008, 08:49:41 pm »

Mmmm, long build, i was wandering what that was sticking in my back? Yes great day, lots of sun, lots of heat, the tide was in, loads of boats in the river and plenty of models blowing smoke! on the lake. What were you sailing? p.s. thanks for the coms bosun

The long Build

« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2008, 09:07:05 pm »

Not sailing , just passing through on a family bike ride , while the weather was fine, could not stop long as had just spent 2 hrs at my clubs pond so wife not keen to stop again !!

Heres a picture I took today of one of our members boats wilth oil smoke generator.

longshanks

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2008, 09:18:30 pm »

Hi Martin,
Are you sure thats a model boat - superb  O0

Perhaps you could do a small piece on weathering so that we mortals might attempt to emulate you  ;)

Cheers
Longshanks

garston1

« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2008, 09:58:39 pm »

Hiya longshanks, it's amazing the amount of people that come up to you and say 'don't you think you should paint it,' they don't realise how long it took to get it like that lol. P.S. My big flowerclass is photo of the month in October, now there's a boat!  :)

garston1

« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2008, 10:07:29 pm »

Where do you sale Longshanks? That also looks like a nice drifter :)

garston1

« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2008, 10:10:54 pm »

Sorry, the above question was for longbuild, sorry longshans! Too many longs lol :)

The long Build

« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2008, 10:29:32 pm »

When I actualy Get to the pond and have a boat that is working at the same time it is at The Heath Runcorn, Website should be at the bottom of this post, We are at a Display next weekend at Victoria Park Widnes , but Unfortunately I do not think that the owner of the drifter will be able to make it., I must agree with Martin, Martin  :D that you have taken some great shots , mind you if it was the Camera I saw you could have been half a mile way. Does the boat not get sticky with the oil smoke, compared to the Water vapour smoke system by JJc and now teh new one developed By Nomustangmark.

Stavros

« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2008, 10:51:50 pm »

Hi I have a Graupner oil burner on my Tid and that does not get sticky

Stavros

garston1

« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2008, 11:01:15 pm »

It doesn't exactly get sticky, you do get a bit of residue in and around the funnel but the smell is great

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2008, 12:59:16 am »

Hi Martin, nice to see that boat out of the shed!, it looks even better in the daylight. I also got one of those smoke units for Orca (its finished now, finally!), I had some probs with the unit overheating, and (he) (dont want to name him without permission) has the boat to make a "one off" smoke unit for it, cant wait to get it back.

Paul

garston1

« Reply #41 on: September 25, 2008, 06:50:41 pm »

Hiya Paul, long time no see. i had a problem with overheating too, the maker took it back, put it in another case and that one slightly overheated so i gave him another heavier duty case to fit one in for me and at the moment i'm waiting for it back. I think a metal case might do it.  Are you off to blackpool next month?

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2008, 12:45:38 am »

Hi Martin, Got Orca back last wed night. Unit is now in a metal case, some "unecessary" portholes removed (I had no airflow where the smoke unit was), And an additional fan to improve cooling and air flow. THere has been a lot of thought gone into this by the maker, on the bench, it works superb. All being well will be able to have a go at New Brighton monday sometime, weather permitting

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: October 08, 2008, 04:54:23 pm »

Is there any potential in these electronic cigarettes? http://www.iwantoneofthose.com/gamucci-micro-electronic-cigarette/index.html

and

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/video_and_audio/7658334.stm

Seems they are rechargeable and "last for a day".

Colin

garston1

« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2008, 05:59:11 pm »

Probably because of the price, close on 50 quid, i don't think it would be a viable investment. For that price you can buy a JJC unit or the equivalent  :(

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: October 08, 2008, 06:35:33 pm »

But if they were to become popular then the price would almost certainly come right down. Also, you could get two for the price of one with both the boat and its owner emitting clouds of vapour!

The long Build

« Reply #46 on: October 08, 2008, 06:51:58 pm »

From the video's I have seen it takes somebody drawing from the unit to get the smoke out , it does not appear to smoke on its own.

Reade Models

« Reply #47 on: October 08, 2008, 07:00:54 pm »

Probably because of the price, close on 50 quid, i don't think it would be a viable investment. For that price you can buy a JJC unit or the equivalent  :(

The only JJC units you can buy are second hand. (And often sell well above this price).

Colin

The component parts cost so much as to make any meaningful price reductions impractical.

Regards, Malc

herrmill

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: November 19, 2008, 01:20:21 pm »

Has anyone tried making their own water vapor generator like the one shown in the Solant RCMB Club hints & tips page? 

http://www.srcmbc.org.uk/ht_pkt_smoke.php

I'm itching to try for the ironclads since I'm limited on headroom & this would work under the funnel.

Chuck
"China is a sleeping giant. Let her sleep, for when she wakes she will shake the world." ~ Napoleon Bonaparte

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #49 on: November 19, 2008, 02:16:17 pm »

Or you can by a ready made one from Mustang Mark - http://marksmodelbits.com/
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 24 queries.