Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bismarck 1/128  (Read 3085 times)

Wasyl

Bismarck 1/128
« on: June 13, 2009, 01:39:24 pm »

Hi all,i recently bought an almost completed 1/128 Bismarck,it has a Fleetscale hull,and everything else has been scratch built,i.e. superstructure is made of Plasticard,3mm ply and balsa,whilst it looks good,it is definetely not a purists model,but i can live with it,
It has only been fitted with one big motor,i.e.12v-24v 12 pole slow rev,driving a large brass prop,dia 55mm,when in the water it performs very well,but when out it does look odd at the stern because of the lack of the 2 props,if i were to fit the other two shafts/props,for cosmetics only,would they interfere with the running of the boat,e.g,drag???
The motor is from
Mobile Marine Models,and is a high-torque low rev,the battery is a lead acid,12v 14ah, which runs the motor,the rudder,and the 4 turrets l/r

Wullie

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Bismarck 1/128
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2009, 02:08:45 pm »

Wullie,

The two extra props and shafts for cosmetic appearance will certainly create drag. The amount of drag will depend on the size of the props and how freely they are free to rotate.

If you are going to the trouble of fitting two extra shafts for this reason, its 95% of the way towards making them work!

You could fit motors to the shafts just to spin them when the main motor runs, without speed control, or go the whole hog and do the job properly, (you know you want to  O0).

Ian
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

Wasyl

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2009, 02:42:49 pm »

Hi Ian,I don,t really want to start butchering this boat,perhaps what i should be doing,is telling all the know it all guys where to go when they comment,"Oh,its only got one prop,it should have three"
anyway even if i wanted to fit two more smaller motors,i,d have to cut away a good portion of the rear as accessis limited,see pics,mm,i think i,ll just live with it as it is,and next time anyone gives me their tuppence worth,i,ll tell them where to go,Diplomatically {-)

I see your in Cumbria,i,ve got some friends who live down that way,,Flimby,Bridgefoot,Barrow in Furness,

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2009, 04:45:29 pm »

Wullie,

See what you mean by space!

Another solution would be to drape a towel over the stern when out of water so no one could see, and when in the water who would know? %% %%

I am in Barrow, not familiar with Flimby and Bridgfoot though.

Ian
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

regiment

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2009, 04:57:10 pm »

put it this way my boat my money ******* off . that is what i do right old twits down here

jonny shoreboy

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2009, 05:07:11 pm »

I had an idea for you..

What if you fitted shafts that are water tight and have props that you could just unscrew when you want to sail her? Put the extra props on for display, unscrew them for play? It seems pretty simple I know and it was only an idea..

Wasyl

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2009, 07:46:49 pm »

I had an idea for you..

What if you fitted shafts that are water tight and have props that you could just unscrew when you want to sail her? Put the extra props on for display, unscrew them for play? It seems pretty simple I know and it was only an idea..
Whilst this suggestion is very good,i think ill opt for the one above,but i will be just be a tad more diplomatic when i tell them where to go,after all i,still need somewhere to sale my boat,without having to face all the grumpies every time i go,I,ll be there tomorrow,and hopefully will have some nice pics to post when i get back,

Wullie
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 22 queries.