Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Revell Lucky tug.  (Read 4414 times)

hama

Revell Lucky tug.
« on: January 26, 2008, 04:29:41 pm »

I've done it too! Took out the rc-gear in my mini-z car and stuffed it into this little boat. It works great and runs perfect, even possible to do some tug towing in the bathtub!

moller62

Re: Revell Lucky tug.
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2008, 01:34:56 pm »

Nice looking, could we have some pics of the inside, motor intall etc. :)

hama

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2008, 11:24:49 pm »

Hello moller62!
Thanks for your interest!
Some pics of the interior, allthough its difficult to get decent ones when everything is so small! In the middle is a modified battery holder, shortened to take four AAA´s. In the stern is the tiny motor and reduction gear from a crashed miniservo. The "big" white box forward of the battery's is the mini-z steering servo. The mini-z receiver is hidden under the forecastle and is really just a small circuit board. Hope they can be of some help.
Regards, hama.

moller62

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2008, 08:07:14 pm »

Thx. for the informative pictures. Pt i'm converting the Smit Rotterdam 1/200 scale kit by Revell, but when done i might consider Lucky.

hama

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2008, 11:23:07 pm »

Please show some pictures of the mini rotterdam, but perhaps thats for a new thread? I did that conversion 6-7 years ago, two dismantled servos for twin propulsion. Good speed with really realistic wake and very manoverable, now its just an empty hull. Have you checked on tugboats.de in the gallery, there is one with bowthruster and working lights, totally crazy! Anyway, now I'm trying to build a bigger one out of wood. Good luck to you!

Tugboat Andy

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2008, 05:41:57 am »

Some pics of the interior, allthough its difficult to get decent ones when everything is so small! In the middle is a modified battery holder, shortened to take four AAA´s. In the stern is the tiny motor and reduction gear from a crashed miniservo. The "big" white box forward of the battery's is the mini-z steering servo. The mini-z receiver is hidden under the forecastle and is really just a small circuit board.

Looks great! I am just starting to work on a tug that is about 14" long and 3" wide. I am interested in your project, since I have never built a micro-tug before. Could you descibe how you salvaged the micro servo and mounted it. What brand was it and how did you mount the gears in the shaft?

Many thanks!

hama

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2008, 10:44:35 pm »

Hello there Tugboat Andy.
I'll try to answer your questions. The gear is fastened to the propshaft with a small pin. I drilled a VERY small hole through the shaft. The gear had a smaller gear as an extension in the middle if you know what i mean so i drilled a small hole through that too, then put a small piece of brass rod through it all and a drop of superglue to hold it. The motor is from a micro or miniservo ( futaba i think ) that i burnt some years ago, however the tiny motor still worked and with the gear gives the boat more than enough speed as you can see on the pic. I never really thought it would have enough power because it's so small! Receiver and speedcontrol is combined and is from a small Kyosho rc-car as is the steering servo, i haven't modified them anything just took them out of the car and into the boat. If i want i can put them back in the car again( i think!). You can use a servo for propulsion and speedcontrol if you like, i used two in my small Smit Rotterdam. I think you can find good info on how to dismantle a servo here on the forum. You really just open up the casing and take apart all the gears, by doing so disconnecting the servomotor from the potentiometer. Plug it in the receiver and turn the pot. until you find neutral position and motor stops, now move the stick on the radio and you have fwd and reverse with variable speed on the little motor! Pretty amazing actually!
Good luck and please show pictures.

Tugboat Andy

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2008, 04:17:35 am »

Thank you, Hama!  I am quite impressed with your tug. O0

I understand now exactly what you have done. I have a small fiberglass tug hull by Scale Shipyard that I found at a swapmeet. I have tried hacking a full size futaba servo but the secondary gear that engaged the pinion was rather flimsy. I built a "drive dog", heated it up, and pushed it into the plastic gear. It worked but not nearly as elegantly as your solution. Thumbs up on re-purposing the micro car gear!

I'll post a picture as soon as my brother in law helps me reduce the file size. :embarrassed: 

Thanks again

Andy
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 20 queries.