Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Amateur Radio  (Read 3963 times)

periscope

• Full Mayhemer
Amateur Radio
« on: October 04, 2006, 09:32:57 pm »

Is there anyone on the forum who uses 6mtrs?  Im going to lash out on a new handheld and I'm wondering if it's worth getting one with 2mtrs/70cms and 6 metres.

Thanks,

Ian
The best cure for sea-sickness is to sit under a tree.

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
Re: Amateur Radio
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2006, 10:01:59 pm »

See if you can get the loan of something on 6m I take its going to be fm the handy. I have not played for some years but a lot depends on where you are , I got a 23cm handy and used it once but played on my transverter from home a lot on a beam.But you may find that there is some activity near to you so it would be worth it. are there any 6m repeaters local to you  Peter

Doc

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2006, 11:49:27 pm »

Ian,
No idea about 6 M in the UK, but here in the midwester USA, at least in my part of it, it's almost asking for trouble.  There are a number of cable TV companies, etc that use a 50 Mhz frequency somewhere close to the 6 M amateur band.  If their systems aren't totally 'sealed' (and what cable company's lines are?) it usually means complaints by the truck load.  After a while you get tired of trying to explain that it isn't your fault but the Cable company's.  Naturally, 'they' say it's your fault, right?  So, hopefully you guys won't have the same type problems.
I understand that the UK is changing the amateur licensing structure.  If so, what's it gonna do/be different?
 - 'Doc
(W5LZ)

meechingman

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tugs Rule, OK!
    • Andrew Gilbert
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2006, 07:54:06 am »

I'm gonna have to keep an eye on this one. I've been off-air for some time, what with work, kids etc, etc. The last time I heard, all my licenced mates down here in Sussex had migrated from 2m to 70cm so maybe a 2/70 handy would be useful for me. But what's the activity like on 6 FM? 10FM never really took off down here.
Andy G0CCX
Admiral of the Haven Towage Fleet.

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2006, 03:25:14 pm »

"But what's the activity like on 6 FM?"

About the same as 6m fm its there for 5min then gone for 6 months Peter G0PAH

Fast Electricals

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2006, 11:28:35 am »

Heres a video for anyone considering taking up amateur radio.

http://www.tmedlin.com/misc/100k%20video/hamband_100K.wmv

Neil

meechingman

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tugs Rule, OK!
    • Andrew Gilbert
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2006, 10:02:58 am »

Corny as hell, but I kinda like it!  ;D

Supersonics Son

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2008, 01:52:38 pm »

Hi people.

Well we are doing a contest yet again tonight ( 18th March ) I will give more details this time and then it may make life a bit easyer.

Its a 70Cm's contests and SSB we will be on between 432.200 and 432.320MHz.
Start time is 8pm to 10.30pm
We will be using a 88ele J pole Beam (18db) on the back of the landrover with 20watts under the club callsign MX0BCQ/P Thats with the Craven radio Amateur Group. It would be nice to hear some of you on and don't be shy to call into us. I will be the operator so if you are unsure about anything like a locator try this link http://www.dxzone.com/cgi-bin/dir/jump2.cgi?ID=13877 find your house and then click on it then in the box will be your locator code. If you cant see your locator just try to zoom out a bit then it will be visible. When asked for a serial its like this.

First contest contact will be 001
Second contest contact will be 002 ect ect.

So if I am your first contact you give me my signal report which may be 5/9 001 or 59001. Thats all there is to it.
Right i hope to get you on the bands and don't be shy. I need the points.

BTW I am located at Skipton North Yorkshire for those with a beam. IO83WV

When the contacts have been submitted I will return to give you a report when the results have been sent back to me.

All the best
M3XLG
Chris

das boot

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2008, 12:45:04 pm »

I used to be on 11metre SSB....26 Delta International 22/M      :angel:

meechingman

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tugs Rule, OK!
    • Andrew Gilbert
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2008, 11:37:04 am »

11 metres? That takes me back to the very early 1980's and the gang of us that used to meet each night on 'Channel 05 high'. We'd even do a bit of DX-ing, I got across from the UK to Jamaica and the US, using a 10 watt TX and a 1/2 wave 'Silver Rod'. Then one of us (not me) got a knock on the door from a friendly official,  :police: , who suggested that we either stop or go 'legal'! I was already getting fed up with the inane drivel from some of the people on 11m who seemed determined to spoil it for others, so I took the RAE and then the Morse Test to get my full ham licence. Much more fun with a ruddy great triband beam for HF and a parabeam for 2m - and no fear of the 'knock'.

Andy
Ex G1ICE (I wanted a 'coolsign') now G0CCX for, erhem, years!

das boot

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2008, 05:49:50 pm »

Same as that, I started to get fed up with 11metre ssb and migrated off to another highly illegal band  ::) [guess you know where I mean?]with a much modded Yaesu 707. By the time it was all fitted in the car with the amp and mike, there was barely room for me.
One night I was happily chatting away to a guy in Eire...knock on the door....'good evening sir, etc etc...' end result, I lost the Yaesu and had to watch it being destroyed. That hurt...

Back to 11 metres after that...a modded Superstar 360, 400 watt linear amp and a Oscar 11mtr aerial on the car and away we went again. I haven't been on the radio now for many many years....one day, maybe.

Cheers,

Rich

OMK

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2008, 09:48:10 pm »

Interesting stuff.
Slowscan TV used to be my bag - along with RTTY and a couple other data modes. All this, of course, on 11m SSB.
I remember one particular day, halfway between sending a SSTV image to a pal across town, when his station suddenly went dead. It turned out he had a visit from the DTI people, there to confiscate all his radio equipment. Thirty minutes later the same bunch were banging on my front door - obviously for the same reason. I didn't answer, and never heard from them again.
So like a prat, I decided to make it all legal. I was already armed with enough know-how to get me thru the RSGB test, but I wanted more than that - I wanted the fun of a CW-based QSO. So I set about learning the code. That was round about the time when the Internet started rearing its ugly head. By that time 99% of Amateurs had abondoned CW anyway, so I was pretty much left high and dry. Consequently, I never bothered taking the Ham exam.

The Echo-Charlie Band around 6.5MHz was also a good one. Been too long since I was there - not sure if it still exists even. I built my first AM transmitter for that band from a couple of EL84s tubes. Last time I was there the SSTV scene was buzzing.

I've still got all my radio gear - mostly 11m stuff. And now that the UK television is going hi-def', then maybe all us 11m ops' can get going again - without fear of causing TVI.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.114 seconds with 22 queries.