Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Up Helly Aa  (Read 1484 times)

Red_Hamish

• Full Mayhemer
  • Have a wee dram and enjoy life
    • Edinburgh Model Boat Club
Up Helly Aa
« on: January 30, 2008, 03:41:01 pm »

Hello chaps, well we had a very enjoyable evening last night at Lerwicks' Up Helly Aa. There was a procession through town in the morning, which I missed as I was away finalising my new employment, the Jarl squad took the Guizer Jarls' galley Breckon down to the dockside for  dispaly during the day before the squad participated in its civic duties  ::) The e vening procession with the Jarl squad ant the other  guising squads with flaming torches lit was very impressive. Attached are a few of the galley prior to it being burnt and the sad but exhillerating sight of its demise in a firey glow. When you view at close hand the craftsmanship imbued in the building of the galley it seems a real travesty that such a worthy craft piece is destryoyed annually. The children are to young to enable us to appreciate the night of revellry which continued through to 8 am today and I must admit that I'm thankfull of that.

cheers

Jim
Visit www.paddleducks.co.uk & www.edinburghmodelboatclub.org.uk for all your model boating needs!
See what life is all about www.visitshetland.com/sumburgh-airport-live-video This is the pace of life that the doctors prescribe, so laid back that you

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Up Helly Aa
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2008, 11:00:51 pm »

Some years ago I was invited into the boat shed to see the galley under construction. I was impressed to see the quality of the work that was going into something that was destined to be burnt. I was also impressed with the speed that a bottle of whisky which I was assured all visitors needed as an introduction to the resident sons of Odin, vanished.  :o

By the By Hamish, you may have to explain to the Soothmoothers just what the annual bacchanalia that is Up Helly Ah!, is all about.

Red_Hamish

• Full Mayhemer
  • Have a wee dram and enjoy life
    • Edinburgh Model Boat Club
Re: Up Helly Aa
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2008, 11:15:03 pm »

Hi Barry, well sad to say but that was my first introduction to Up Helly Aa because I am a Soothmoother. Thankfully my wife is a Shetlander so all is not lost. My new boss was the Guizer Jarl a few years back so I'll be asking him just what it is all about, or I may have to wait until the Galley Shed opens for the tourist season in early April. What surprised me is the galley is built over the course of a couple of months with 2 squads working alternate nights and the making of the squads outfits and paraphernalia along with it. All in all  very impressive but there is little hope of being invited to participate in the squads as you have to be a resident for  five years before an invitation can be extended. There is hope for my son though.

cheers

Jim

www.visitshetland.com
Visit www.paddleducks.co.uk & www.edinburghmodelboatclub.org.uk for all your model boating needs!
See what life is all about www.visitshetland.com/sumburgh-airport-live-video This is the pace of life that the doctors prescribe, so laid back that you
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 22 queries.