Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ebay Boat TLC  (Read 3131 times)

chingdevil

Ebay Boat TLC
« on: January 29, 2008, 08:58:01 pm »

I brought a boat of ebay hoping to give it some TLC and have something different to the springers. I am not sure about TLC possibly a viking funeral, anyway I thought I would have a go at getting it to some order and start a thread to show what went on.
Problems with the boat:-
1 It was a kit but I have no idea who made it
2 The hull has numerous splits in it, whatever glue the builder used was no good.
3 The frames are only about 3 - 4mm thick and warped, I want to power it so they will need beefing up
4 The deck was c**p has been removed to see inside
5 Superstructure poorly built will be rebuilt

The boat was definitley photogenic, but in real life :'( :'( :'(

Other than that it aint bad {-) {-) {-) {-)

The first couple of pictures are what it looked like on ebay, then a couple of the insides.

Brian

Stavros

Re: Ebay Boat TLC
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 10:21:58 pm »

Sounds like my fireboat I can sympathise with you my friend see fire boat build for insparation

Stavros

Stavros

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 10:42:55 pm »

I think the best thing you can do to is what I did.Give the inside of the hull a dammed good coat of grp with tissue,at least that will hold it together.As for the splits in the outer hull what I have done is to use a dremel with a router bit and chased all the cracks,filled them with isopon p40 fiberglass filler then finished doff with easy lite car filler.My way of thinking is that 1 the grp inside will hold it together and give it strength and the p40 will hold all the splits together.Just a suggestion.The Fireboat has been bath tested fro 24hrs with this method and there were 7 12v 7amp batts inside her!!!!

GOOD LUCK YOU WILL NEED IT {-) {-) O0

Stavros

chingdevil

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 06:19:30 am »

Stavros
I have thought about that, never done any work with matting and resin should be fun. I will let you know how it goes.

Brian

MTB

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2008, 05:09:10 pm »

stavros has the right idea thats what i'd do too can't complain if it was cheap thats all they have on there.

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2008, 05:14:22 pm »

Brian,
Thats half the fun of buying off eBay, I never know quite which "Museum" has their quality.
But I always assume that it will need a major refurbishment. I haven't bought one yet that hasn't!!

Bob
Officially a GOG.

chingdevil

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2008, 08:47:21 pm »

Bob
I am enjoying working on the boat, halted at the moment due to a chest infection, SWMBO has threatened some nasty things if I even go near the shed. I would love to know who made this kit, because I have no idea. I am not even sure of the scale, still all being well it will sail at the Mayhem Weekend.

Brian

bigfella

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2008, 10:02:00 pm »

Hi Brian

Yes it was photogenic, Sort of reminds you of the disappointment at McDonalds when you look at the advertising picture of the food and then you unwrap it and you think you have been had. It certainly looks as if you have a challenge on your hands. Hope you get better soon.

Regards David
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 22 queries.