Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fish  (Read 3078 times)

biggles1

• Full Mayhemer
Fish
« on: July 03, 2006, 09:02:43 pm »

Help? Where can i buy 1/24th scale fish to but into the boxes on my fishing boat or any ideas on how to make them  ??? thanks

ambernblu

Re: Fish
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2006, 09:59:10 pm »

I guess Milliput would be OK - roll some out (like pastry) to the thickness you want and then chop/cut out some fish shapes to the required scale size! Milliput will dry reasonably quickly with some 'gentle' heat applied - i.e a 'warm' grill. It also paints up easily too with most paint types. Hope that helps - Cheers, Brian

Roger in France

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2006, 07:04:23 am »

Yes, I would go the Milliput route but I do recall seeing tiny fish in various scales made from white metal at some boat show or other. Sorry, I cannot remember where, when or which trader. Pretty confident it must have been an Ellesmere Port Show ( I used to live near there). Maybe someone with a better (less aged) memory than I can help.

Roger in France.

ambernblu

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2006, 07:25:10 am »

I'm sure I've seen some in white metal too, but it was some time ago and as Roger in France says, not sure where... would have been originally mastered with milliput though for sure.

I was giving it more thought last night (its ages since I used to do wargame masters in milliput) but if you use talc (in place of the flour!) and a pencil (covered with a smear of talc in place of the rolling pin!) to roll the milliput out (and use some card either side as a thickness gauge) you will get a fairly uniform spread of milliput.

When you have cut the fish out and 'cured' them under the grill (you could also bend some slightly (to suit your own taste!) before they are fully hardened - so you don't end up with a load of flat fish!) you just need some wet 'n dry to round off the edges. Any off cuts of milliput you haven't used can be stored in the freezer part of the fridge for a few weeks.

Hope that helps - Brian

anmo

• Full Mayhemer
  • That's unpossible!
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2006, 08:36:36 am »

If I wanted to make model fish, I'd use Milliput too, but I know of a supplier, Mike Mayhew of Waverley Models in Clevedon. He can supply a bigger range of fish than Tesco, painted or unpainted, and in any scale you want, not expensive for the work that goes into them. They look good enough to eat, if you can find a plate that small.
caution, may contain traces of nuts .....

biggles1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2006, 09:03:24 pm »

thanks i will give the milliput a go and i will ring Waverly models there site looks very interesting ( i can feel a pain the wallet) thanks dave ;)

Guy Bagley

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2006, 05:31:57 pm »

have a look at your local dolls house shop- they often sell plates of food, i too needed fish,  i picked some up easily, at 1:24 scale look for plates of smaller fish- sardines or similar.....- i managed to get crabs, lobsters, herrings, and makerel !

you will need a bigger style dolls house shop  - there is a good one in boughton on the water in the cotswolds, they deal in dolls houses in 1:12 and 1:24th scale
all in all its just another brick in the wall......

Daryl

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2006, 09:01:39 am »

Try Mike Meyhew at Waverley Models he has some good examples of fish, lobsters etc another place is George Turner Models.

Daryl

UltraMagnus

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2006, 09:07:28 am »

if you are going to make them yourself i would say milliput or "green stuff" would be the way to go, "green stuff" (yes, thats its real name) is another material used to make wargame figures, however its alot more like plasticine when uncured than the "clay" like texture of milliput, also, when dry is still slightly plyable.  you can also mix the two, as they are both epoxy putties
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.191 seconds with 23 queries.