Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Irish Sea Ro - Ro Ferry runs aground off Blackpool  (Read 17309 times)

Faraday's Cage

• Full Mayhemer
  • Change is inevitable, except from a drinks machine
Re: Irish Sea Ro - Ro Ferry runs aground off Blackpool
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2008, 09:31:34 pm »

Just to add my two penneth,

Wikipedia :-
Rogue waves, also known as freak waves, monster waves or extreme waves, are relatively large and spontaneous ocean surface waves that are a threat even to large ships and ocean liners. In oceanography, they are more precisely defined as waves whose height is more than twice the significant wave height (SWH), which is itself defined as the mean of the largest third of waves in a wave record.

FC

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2008, 08:45:53 am »

Some more good pictures on this link: http://forums.bfenthusiasts.com/showthread.php?t=5623

You can see that one of the rudders has broken off.

Stavros

« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2008, 09:10:52 am »

Colin is that a chain of some sorts wrapped around one of her props???? Looking at the    pictures she is going to need an almighty big tide to float her.Oh they are my favorite biccies I think I should stock up me thinks there might be a shortage

Stavros

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2008, 06:31:33 pm »

No Colin You are NOT GUILTY of loose terminology But yet again BY has overstepped the mark and thrown his teddies out of his pram..A rouge wave as far as I can remember and other seafarers as well has been know as a freak wave

Stavros
"Rouge" wave? I guess that goes with the loose wording of popular journalism. No pram, no teddies. I just wish that "Newspapers" would stop calling everything nasty that happens at sea being caused by a "freak" or "rogue" wave!. Nasty things happen just in the normal sequence of events. I was caught up by the Hurricane that didn't exist in '87. Massive seas etc.etc. but none of us called them "freaks" or whatever. It's just that the general reading public must now think that all "accidents" that happen due to the sea doing what the sea does best is "freak"...it aint.
Notes from a simple seaman

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2008, 06:52:16 pm »

["Rouge" wave? I guess that goes with the loose wording of popular journalism. No pram, no teddies. I just wish that "Newspapers" would stop calling everything nasty that happens at sea being caused by a "freak" or "rogue" wave!. Nasty things happen just in the normal sequence of events. I was caught up by the Hurricane that didn't exist in '87. Massive seas etc.etc. but none of us called them "freaks" or whatever. It's just that the general reading public must now think that all "accidents" that happen due to the sea doing what the sea does best is "freak"...it aint.
Did someone mentionred red waves ?  :-\
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2008, 06:58:23 pm »

The ship was heading to Heysham and is now pointing in the totally opposite direction.
Having lost power, the ship would tend to act like a weathercock.  Looking at the pictures, the "big end" as far as wind is concerned is toward the bow, so that would end up downwind.  It was blowing from the north at the time, so quite reasonable that she should end up facing south.
If you do a "google earth" of the area you will find a picture of the remains of the Abana, which was wrecked in 1894, a remarkably few yards away from the present grounding. 

Yep walked out to the remains many a time.

One of Nelson's original ships the Fouyderant (sorry spelling!) also ran aground a few hundred meters south and was eventually broken up with dynamite!
Are you sure about this? Or was there 2 of them? I believe that Foudrouyant is still alive and kicking...could be wrong.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2008, 07:02:34 pm »

Correct Bryan, she is preserved at Hartlepool but under her previous name of Trincomalee: http://www.hms-trincomalee.co.uk/

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2008, 07:24:42 pm »

The ship was heading to Heysham and is now pointing in the totally opposite direction.
Having lost power, the ship would tend to act like a weathercock.  Looking at the pictures, the "big end" as far as wind is concerned is toward the bow, so that would end up downwind.  It was blowing from the north at the time, so quite reasonable that she should end up facing south.
If you do a "google earth" of the area you will find a picture of the remains of the Abana, which was wrecked in 1894, a remarkably few yards away from the present grounding. 

Yep walked out to the remains many a time.

One of Nelson's original ships the Fouyderant (sorry spelling!) also ran aground a few hundred meters south and was eventually broken up with dynamite!
Are you sure about this? Or was there 2 of them? I believe that Foudrouyant is still alive and kicking...could be wrong.
There have been several ships named  Foudrouyant Bryan  O0
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2008, 10:13:01 pm »

After a colourful active service in the Napoleonic wars, Nelson's Foudroyant became a training establishment for a great many years  She was sold for scrap in the mid 1890s to a German company, but an Englishman with a sense of pride bought her back and had her restored.  The intention was that she should become a travelling display, but while moored off Blackpool in 1898, was caught out by a violent summer storm, dragged her anchors and was wrecked just north of the north pier.
Follow this link (the site has a few other Fylde coast references, including the Abana, which came to grief just a few yards from the riverdance.)
http://www.rossallbeach.co.uk/foudroyantnelsonp.htm
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

gribeauval

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tidy Bench -Tidy Mind, Messy Bench - BUSY!!
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2008, 10:26:19 pm »

Correct Bryan, she is preserved at Hartlepool but under her previous name of Trincomalee: http://www.hms-trincomalee.co.uk/

The Trincomalee at Hartlepoo is NOT the Foudroyant that was wrecked off Blackpool, check this link for the details of the two ships.

http://www.royalnavalmuseum.org/info_sheets_foudroyant.htm
True Lifeboat Nutter!!

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2008, 10:40:12 pm »

Well, that seems to clarify matters. Just as well there was only one Victory, even though not much is the original fabric.

gribeauval

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tidy Bench -Tidy Mind, Messy Bench - BUSY!!
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2008, 10:45:03 pm »

Well, that seems to clarify matters. Just as well there was only one Victory, even though not much is the original fabric.

Carefull Colin!! There were at least two other Victorys prior to the one in Portsmouth !!  :D :D :D
True Lifeboat Nutter!!

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2008, 11:03:55 pm »

Yes but sequential, not contemporaneous. Still, nothing like the utter confusion which surrounds the naming and renaming of today's cruise ships and ferries.  ;)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Stavros

« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2008, 06:16:04 pm »

After  listening to that report it does not sound good for that ship at all

stavros

farrow

« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2008, 03:14:59 pm »

In reply to Bryans comment that Freak Waves do not occur on the Continental shelf. There was an interesting programme about Freak/Rogue waves, apparently the first one in the world was recorded on a North Sea gas rig, it was over 70ft high and the leading edge was vertical with a breaking top. This is unusual for a wave is usually of a sinus rhythm and about 25 to 35 ft high in an Atlantic severe gale, in fact a ocean going ship is designed to take the weight of 25 depth of water above it but not continuously. NASA has since recorded them of the West coast of Scotland, the North Sea and virtually in every large sea area in the world. These waves are not caused by depths or wind over current and can only be explained using quantum mathematics.

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2008, 04:46:38 pm »

I have been caught a good few times in Northwesterly gales off Terschelling where the heavy seas bounce off the island and meet in coming seas just around the TSS. Resulting in a heaped sea that throws the vessel over sharply and before it can start to right, gets hit by a further wave that throws her even further over. Great memories of dodging rampaging semi trailers, cars half the width they were when they came on board etc etc.  :o  Also why did it always seem to happen in the dark  :-\

Mike

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2008, 04:52:07 pm »

In reply to Bryans comment that Freak Waves do not occur on the Continental shelf. There was an interesting programme about Freak/Rogue waves, apparently the first one in the world was recorded on a North Sea gas rig, it was over 70ft high and the leading edge was vertical with a breaking top. This is unusual for a wave is usually of a sinus rhythm and about 25 to 35 ft high in an Atlantic severe gale, in fact a ocean going ship is designed to take the weight of 25 depth of water above it but not continuously. NASA has since recorded them of the West coast of Scotland, the North Sea and virtually in every large sea area in the world. These waves are not caused by depths or wind over current and can only be explained using quantum mathematics.
Yes. you are more than correct...I forgot about the open end of the North Sea, unforgiveable really as I did one run from Dundee to Bergen with the Marines on board. Most of them flew home at their own expense. But in mitigation may I try to explain again that my remarks were originally aimed at journalism and things got a bit out of hand. Nothing new there. Sorry.

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2008, 11:48:47 pm »

Bryan, the old adage about journalists never letting the truth, or factual accuracy, get in the way of a good story, is as true now as it ever was. Sensationalism sells papers, or so we are told.
Peter.

Stavros

« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2008, 09:41:25 pm »

http://news.webshots.com/photo/2406053990102855880lmLOYS

http://www.davidicke.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19207

Just some pictures I found anyone know what the score is now with this vessel, is it still there

Stavros

funtimefrankie

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Birkdale, Lancashire. twixt the Mersey & the Ribble
« Reply #45 on: February 15, 2008, 09:55:24 pm »

Still there, they are removing fuel oil at the moment.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2008, 11:52:51 am »

Anybody want any McVitties Chocolate Salty Digestives?  Very salty, pre-dunked.  Probably a bit saltier that wanted - the ship is sitting over a sewage outfall pipe.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: February 17, 2008, 09:38:35 pm »

Riverdance is still grounded offshore. There's a boom around her to stop any leaking fuel oil which they've been taking off this week. They hope to make an attempt to refloat her very soon, probably sometime in the coming week.

Aparently, all sorts of rogues and vagabonds have been turning up with cutting gear and ladders in an attempt to get aboard and take some 'souvenirs'! The police had to invoke an exclusion zone to keep them and sightseers away!

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer

6705russell

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #49 on: February 19, 2008, 03:10:45 pm »

I drove past her today, doesnt seem to be much happening around her?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.111 seconds with 22 queries.