Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Irish Sea Ro - Ro Ferry runs aground off Blackpool  (Read 17278 times)

Stavros

Re: Irish Sea Ro - Ro Ferry runs aground off Blackpool
« Reply #75 on: March 14, 2008, 09:10:07 pm »

Boy oh boy were they lucky

Stavros

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #76 on: March 14, 2008, 09:13:41 pm »

And pretty surprised too I'd guess! Just shows you how people get swept away when wave watching. It's all very dramatic and pretty and then the big one comes in and grabs you!

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #77 on: March 14, 2008, 11:05:41 pm »

here a question . with in the first few hours of her grounding had a couple of high power salvage tug been there could they have pulled her off her grounding and saved her. It seam as time gone on she got in to a worse state, and they have missed opportunities to save her.

john

alan colson

• Full Mayhemer
  • I Just Dabble In Model Boats
« Reply #78 on: March 15, 2008, 09:37:55 am »

Has anyone picked up on the fact that the film was taken in Spain. Where is La Corunya? If it's on the Med then I guess this could be a freak wave.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #79 on: March 15, 2008, 09:42:20 am »

It's the modern name for Corunna, bottom of the Bay of Biscay and sticking out into the Atlantic. Just where you might expect to cop heavy weather!

alan colson

• Full Mayhemer
  • I Just Dabble In Model Boats
« Reply #80 on: March 15, 2008, 12:53:41 pm »

Thanks for the geography lesson Colin I've learnt something. Well I gues they should well expect freak waves then.
Alan

Roger in France

« Reply #81 on: March 17, 2008, 07:16:49 am »

I am not sure that the suggested solution of pulling her off soon after she grounded is as simple as that.

Have a look at my thread here re "It's not only Blackpool...." which shows a very recent grounding just up the coast from me.

They certainly had a very powerful tug there shortly after she grounded but failed to pull the stranded vessel off.

Roger in France.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #82 on: March 17, 2008, 08:43:52 am »

If a ship goes ashore, or is pushed up the beach at the top of a high spring tide it can be weeks or even months before there is enough water to refloat her. The best chance of getting her off is on the next high tide which will be almost as high. After that the high water levels begin to fall rapidly and, at the same time, the ship will start digging herself in under her own weight and the influence of the currents around her hull. Then it becomes a great deal more difficult.

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #83 on: March 22, 2008, 08:01:58 pm »

Now declared a total loss. Sad but absolutely no surprise to those of us who knew the story locally. Seems to have been a mixture of bad weather and blunders.

http://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/blackpoolnews/Riverdance-will-never-sail-again.3904317.jp

SHE will never sail again.
Stricken sea ferry Riverdance – now sinking into the sand off Blackpool beach – was today declared "a constructive loss".

The storms of the last fortnight have battered the ship to a point where she is now beyond repair.

The 6,000-ton ship is now virtually under water at high tide.

Riverdance has been gradually sinking into the sand in the last seven weeks.

Freak waves forced her aground at Anchorsholme at the end of January.

Salvage teams still plan to attempt to refloat the ship, but are now considering using mechanical winch devices to do that rather than complex buoyancy techniques.

If that fails Riverdance will have to be cut up on the beach.
Tony Redding from owners Seatruck Ferries Ltd, said: "She is a constructive loss and will never return to service.

"She suffered very significant damage during the last bout of bad weather.

"The intention is still to remove her in one piece and new proposals are being prepared about the salvage operation.

"By the end of next week the situation should be clarified as to what is going to happen next."

Mr Redding's declaration the ship will never return to service echoed comments from a leading local nautical expert.

John Matthews, the head of Fleetwood Nautical Campus, said the only voyage the boat would now be making is to the scrapyard.

He said: "If you tried to open the cargo door it would not open and if you turned the propeller it would be wobbling because it would not be in line – it's only scrap."

Mr Matthews also said continued efforts to refloat the vessel and get her off the beach in one piece were the best option financially for the owners.

"It's cheaper if you can take it all in one piece," he said.

"If you cut it up on the beach it would be such a difficult job because there is 6,000 tons of metal.

"If you had to cut it up imagine all the lorries going through Cleveleys."

Staff at the nautical campus were at the sharp end when the Riverdance hit the sands on January 31.

Two lecturers were members of the Fleetwood lifeboat crew who went to her aid, and Mr Matthews was the deputy launch authority for the local RNLI who gave the green light for lifeboat to be launched.

Mr Matthews said: "We have taken our students to see the Riverdance.
"It's sad to see a ship like that lying there and knowing she will be chopped up."

Thousands of sightseers were again expected to visit the site this weekend.

Riverdance has become a major tourist attraction since she ran aground on January 31 after being "broadsided" by a freak wave while sailing from Warrenpoint in Northern Ireland to Heysham.

Twenty-three passengers and crew were airlifted to safety

funtimefrankie

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Birkdale, Lancashire. twixt the Mersey & the Ribble
« Reply #84 on: March 22, 2008, 08:02:39 pm »

Latest news

Riverdance will never sail again

snap :D
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 21 queries.