Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: RTTL 2757 1/12  (Read 16789 times)

2772e

• Simon
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Sea Shall Not Have Them
RTTL 2757 1/12
« on: July 03, 2006, 09:29:18 pm »

About a year ago I bumped into the forum and sent in some early pictures of my latest RTTL. Martin kindly posted them. Seeing all your lovelly models I thought I should have a go. I found a smaller setting on my digital camera today so here goes.

My dad took me to the RAF museum in Hendon in the 70's and bought a Veron Vosper RTTL model kit and we enjoyed many nights and weekends building her and then sailing her. Then came teens and girls and cars and all that. Then i had my own kids and a demanding job so looked for some kind of release. The model had always lived on a wardrobe and got damaged over the years, so i thought i would rebuild her. I did and my passion was restored.

My next project was a 1/24th version. I managed to track down a hull from Deans Marine and started building number 2. I spent a winter building this and then enjoyed sailing them both for a year. So last April sitting in front of the telly, nothing on. I thought what the hell why not another one! What scale? Oh well, and just plumped for 1/12th.

I contacted Grenwich Martitime Museum and went down to the plans office one day and rooted through all their original blueprints and plans etc and came up ewith the original hull drawrigns. After various copies it was off to the drawring board. I happened by chance on a friends chum who was a architect. After coverting the plans from metric to imperial he converted them to cad, sent me a disc and I had the 14 bulkheads and the keel cnc cut at a wood shop in Cambridge. Most of last summer was then spent in the garage building her up.

Well here she is so far, so far I have only had her in the water three times, (do not build bigger than your bath). Still having teething problems with motors, batteries and props to get good speed but thanks to all on the forum I can see a light at the end of the tunnel.

Thanks to all that I bore with my boat, Martin for a great forum, like mind model maniacs and my wife for putting up with the mess in the house.

Dont know if it interests you but here she is anyway.

[Too Large - attachment deleted by admin]
Rubbin is Racin!

Tester

• Full Mayhemer
Re: RTTL 2757 1/12
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2006, 08:20:02 am »

Great looking model, can we have some more pics please.

Unfortunatly when I was out of work a couple of years ago I sold an unbuilt Vernon kit of a RTTL, so very much appriciate your pictures and how you got plans etc.

Richard

dannymax

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2006, 10:39:43 am »

Great looking model..good work..

ps rather than find a smaller setting on your camera downlaod a program such as PIXresizer and resize using that, you will get less jagged edges in the curves... :)

Macsmouldings

• Martin
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Supplier of Larger Scale Modelling Accessories
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2006, 04:34:05 pm »

Looking good  .
Supplier of Larger Scale Modelling Accessories

2772e

• Simon
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2006, 09:22:42 pm »

Some of the most recent pictures, cabin rails, windows, some deck fittings etc. Motor layout changed. Just waiting for better weather to give her further sea trials.
Rubbin is Racin!

perkasa

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2006, 10:16:53 pm »

Looking good Simon.

See you got the damage done by that idiot fixed.

The pictures are great and will certainly help me in the one I am building. Regarding the e-mail I sent you. I am confused on the side rubbing strips so will contact you the usual way soon.

Pete

cdsc123

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2006, 02:47:26 pm »

Nice big model Simon.Why not IC power?My RTTL is only for show so I can't talk,but that'd go well with a lawnmower engine!

2772e

• Simon
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2006, 09:47:59 pm »

I still might have to run her on ic if i cant get the motors/volts/props sorted out. She is a twin screw and i am unaware of a commercially available gearbox. I tride a single screw on ic in a smaller model and could get over torque listing, so put the electrics back in.

A nice 4 stoke, electric start, with reverese and a gearbox would be ideal but never heard of one? Perhaps i will try a post?

Regards

Simon
Rubbin is Racin!

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
  • Mayhem is the Only Forum!
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2006, 03:27:41 pm »

Try A Morris Mini Motor and Gearbox..

Roy
I try not to be naughty but nautical

2772e

• Simon
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2006, 07:51:17 pm »

Whats that then? I assume you dont mean a Morris Minor, its not that big?
Rubbin is Racin!

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2006, 02:39:26 pm »

Sorry Simon I was only joking..

Roy

jamesdad

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2006, 04:34:33 pm »

A four stroke I C might be problamatic before you start thinking of a gearbox I would have thought? Unless you could go down the local tech and get one of the apprentices to make you a 1/12 scale pair of sea griffins? Give him/her thirty bob for their trouble?

2772e

• Simon
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2006, 08:58:42 am »

If only it was that simple. I am happy to pay money to have items engineered to make it as scale, useable as possible.

Do you think i can find anybody that is interested in offering/building a 1 off R & D on a gearbox etc?

I think this model will take years to get right. Still there are worse things thatwe could do with our time.

Regards
Rubbin is Racin!

jamesdad

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2006, 09:48:37 am »

Seriously Simon. It might be worthwhile if you have the money. Get a plug made, get the mould, and get ally blocks made. Incorporate water jackets and go from there. It's quite an engineering project, but people bulid working model steam locos from the tracks up , so getting the pots milled and the cranks, cams con rods etc manufactured might be possible if you know of a small (one man band?) workshop. Possible not even have to start from scratch on some of it, instead canibalise an aero four stroke? I've no idea what the maxiumum cylinder count is now made on those, but I did know that a V4 was made years ago (punishingly expensive!) but the scope is there? Gearbox? Is it possible to utilise something from maybe heavy duty drilling gear? My knowledge is negligable when it comes to this sort of thing, I'm just throwing ideas around.

cdsc123

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2006, 10:12:02 pm »

I seem to remember my old nitrated diesel engine in my Aerokits Sea Commander used to start backwards and run quite happily;is it not possible to obtain 2 large IC motors which will do this (any 2-stroke?) which have reliable starting and recoil to make life easier?I agree re. torque reaction, a problem which hampered the real boats and was improved by the addition of trim wedges aft.It was originally so bad they used to pound on one side only in a chop....

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2006, 07:55:09 pm »

hi simon if it were my boat id go for a strimmer motor yep 2 stroke say 30 cc or so maybe 26 would do.,if i had the money though a zenoah 260 gpum petrol marine motor would be my ideal choice .and that thing would fly trust me 35 mph would not be far off the mark lol.on ebay you can get zens for 130 quid new. strimmer motors are a bit cheaper lol arround £70 for the whole strimmer from B&Q lol.lovely boat by the way.have a good look at the links i sent you and im sure that guy will help you out with his specs !!.

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2006, 05:45:46 am »

SIMON,

You could always turn up three pullies on a lathe and then use a rubber O ring as a drive belt, believe it or not it works quite well and doing it this way keeps your C of G down low...

Roy

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2006, 07:25:18 pm »

ive seen a guy use a 40 cc pocket bike engine in a deep v boat and he used a gear box to run two props bothe counter rotating(one one way one other lol).it worked well not sure if he built the gearbox himself or bought it. but i bet they are available somewhere!!http://H:\Documents and Settings\martin\My Documents\My Videos\delinport.htm  i think this is the link to his boat and his build take a look .

2772e

• Simon
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2006, 07:44:22 pm »

Just back from Beale Park.

A big thank you to all the new friends i have made and thanks for all your advise.

After sea trials, new motors, new props and then new esc i think i have cracked the power concerns.

Special thanks to Jim Casey, JJC your electrics advise was great.

Some pictures on the water from a new friend Steve.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

[Too Large - attachment deleted by admin]
Rubbin is Racin!

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2006, 09:49:07 pm »

I saw her today on the water, superb!!

Bob
Officially a GOG.

cdsc123

« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2006, 10:06:54 pm »

Cracking! Well done.

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2006, 06:15:05 am »

It looks superb there on the water, great going mate.....

Roy

Macsmouldings

• Martin
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Supplier of Larger Scale Modelling Accessories
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2006, 07:41:36 am »

Simon,
 Good to see you again over the weekend, sorry we didn't get more chance to chat, The pictures look fantastic. I'II be back on you're bits within a couple of days, talk to you soon.

Regards,

Martin.
Supplier of Larger Scale Modelling Accessories

jamesdad

« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2006, 06:32:29 pm »

Few more, think she planes very well.

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2006, 06:49:28 pm »

she looks great Simon what motors did you put in her this time?she certainly seems to be moving pretty much on the plane.well done mate when you gonna get a video we can all see of her in action?.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 21 queries.