Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: First time Air brusher  (Read 3058 times)

bigfella

First time Air brusher
« on: February 02, 2008, 12:28:22 pm »

Hi All

I am in the process of obtaining an Airbrush kit and a mini Compressor. I will be attempting to airbrush my boat. Now I want to use Humbrol Acrylic paints as I am very susceptible to fumes (having worked at a cabinet makers for a couple of days and fainting at the laminex edging machine) and assume that Acrylic does not need thinners only water to thin it to the desired consistency for airbrushing. I would like to know any pitfalls that might be avoided. I have read all the threads about painting and have gained much knowledge from them. The fittings I have will be painted separately and then put on once the boat has been finished, so I will mask these positions before painting so as to get a good surface that will glue properly. I then propose to spray a clear satin polyurethane coat as a finish. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Regards David

bigH

Re: First time Air brusher
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2008, 03:07:09 pm »

Hi David, you are right about the use of Acrylics in so much as the fumes are virtually undetectable, however using water to mix them is a no-no i'm afraid.
   You must use an Acrylic thinner which you can get from any art or craft/model shop, unless you are painting on paper, water, being water, will just cause your paint   to run off plastic or any material that is not absorbent.    You can however use water to clean your airbrush or pot but remember to blow the brush through with clean air for about ten seconds after cleaning as any scratch on the metal will soon start to rust.    As with any brush, the acrylic will, being a quick drying paint, soon block up if it is not cleaned as soon as possible after use.     All the best mate..........  Harry

gingyer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2008, 03:24:47 pm »

you can use meth spirits instead of acrylic thinners
and also for the cleaning of the airbrush
colin

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2008, 04:09:52 pm »

I'm told that windscreen wash will work as well for thinning, but I've never tried it.

There are 3 other things for satisfactory airbrushing

Practice, practice and er practice    O0

All the best

Doug
Don't Assume Check

bigfella

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2008, 12:18:09 am »

Thanks Guys, I figure that it would work out cheaper in the long run because I can get a decent Airbrush for $20 and a mini compressor with tank for about $75 so thats $95 all up. The cost of decent paint in those spray cans are about $15 each and I would need three different colours thats $45 already.

I will look for an Acrylic Thinner at a craft shop near me. And yes I will be spending a lot of time practicing on bits of ply to get to know all the characteristics of airbrushing and how the paints react.

Regards David

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2008, 12:38:27 am »

David, one thing to watch when airbrushing is water in the atmosphere (humidity), especially where you are, and at this time of the year when it's 30 degrees Celsius and 90% humidity. Does your compressor have a dryer or water trap in the air line? If not, then I suggest you fit one, or you will suddenly have blobs of water on your nice new, wet paint - not conducive to a good finish. I have owned a Badger airbrush for over 25 years, and it does a great job, although it is only a small one, and I have never used it to paint a boat - it would take too long. I generally use spray cans for boats, and lately I have been using the White Knight range from Bunnings with excellent results.
Peter.

bigfella

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2008, 01:10:27 am »

Hi Peter

Yes the compressor does have a water trap. The humidity did play on my mind so I will pick my day to paint. Mind you today would not be a good day as it has been pouring down torrential rain non stop since about midnight last night. We are still on level 6 water restrictions with an overflowing dam :D :D :D

Regards David

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2008, 01:31:36 am »

Hi David,
We have had over 71mm to 7.30am, and another 60mm since, so I think it's fair to say the drought has broken. I can't believe the water restrictions still apply on the Gold Coast, ours were lifted before Christmas when our dam (Rocky Creek) reached 70%. It has since filled and has been up to 450mm over the spillway. (Fairbairn Dam, near Emerald in Queensland, was 6 metres over the spillway at one stage.) ::)
Peter.

bigfella

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2008, 01:53:03 am »

Hi Peter

Unfortunately by the great wisdom of our state government all South East Queensland water is tied up in one grid (which is yet to be connected) and as Wivenhoe Dam catchment has not had much rain (the combined three Brisbane dams is only 24%) it means that we are all still on restrictions.

Regards David

gingyer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2008, 11:33:16 am »

David,
practicing on a bit of ply is easy. What i was told to do was built a 1:35th scale armoured vehicle
and used that to paint it is all sides and doors etc making it harede than a flat piece of ply
and when you have finished it respray in under coat and start again. I was taught by guy who
build armoured vehicles for the IPMS shows and they showed me we tricks to using airbrushes
making it more life like.

one good one was if there is a joint/seam in the paneling where 2 sections meet paint that
black prior to spraying just the area of the joint so that when you spray the model
what ever colour the joint is darker as this is where all the dirt would gather.

Colin

bigfella

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2008, 09:47:59 pm »

This is the sort of info I need as starting from scratch all these types of tips are great. Keep them coming.

Regards David

IainM

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2008, 04:44:59 pm »

d,
Its probably all been said before and possibly better, but have a look at a Club Tutorial I put together some time ago.
http://www.sfmbc.net/Airbrush.pdf
May prove helpful and interesting.

Best of luck ......... it really is worth the effort to learn.  As has been said .... practice makes perfect.  Mind you I've a bit to go  ::)

Iain

bigfella

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2008, 09:46:09 pm »

Thanks Iain, Just read your tutorial and saved it. Just the type of info I need.

Regards David

Stavros

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2008, 12:00:35 am »

bigfella you know what they say PRACTISE MAKES PERFECT and if you fword not allowed!!!!! then don't panic take 5, think,walk away and start again another day.Seriously though as a Painter what I would do is buy a cheap plastic kit and spray away so to speak best of luck

Stavros

bigfella

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2008, 10:44:13 pm »

Hi All

Its arrived, its arrived. The compressor and airbrush have arrived and up until now I was very excited and now I am more nervous than anything else. I think what I will do is set myself up in the garage with the garage door open and then just get the hang of the thing. However I don't think today would be a good day to start as we seem to be in the middle of a monsoon. Once I get the flow and hang of the airbrush I am going to find a piece of ply and spray it as if it were the boat: Primer, Couple of coats of top coat and then a clear sealer. and see how it looks and once it is dry I will stick it in a bucket of water and see how it handles it. Humbrol seem to suggest that pure water is the best to thin their Acrylic paint for airbrushing, so I will, as they say in the classics "Suck it and see" O0 O0 O0

Oh the dam is overflowing and water restrictions have been lifted and we can get the hose out again.

Regards David
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.12 seconds with 22 queries.