Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CUTTY SARK  (Read 2587 times)

alan colson

• Full Mayhemer
  • I Just Dabble In Model Boats
CUTTY SARK
« on: February 02, 2008, 08:09:35 pm »

The Cutty Sark gets £10 million towards it rebuild from the National Lottery, in my opinion, GREAT NEWS.
What do you think?

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: CUTTY SARK
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2008, 08:24:22 pm »

There will no doubt be those who argue that other vessels are more deserving of support but the Cutty Sark is a national icon and does deserve special treatment.

2772e

• Simon
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Sea Shall Not Have Them
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2008, 08:29:05 pm »

Very deserving!

O0
Rubbin is Racin!

toesupwa

• Full Mayhemer
  • USA'd ex Brit
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2008, 08:36:31 pm »

Good news...

.. and i guess the "City of Adelaide" gets the same amount for restoration?...  >>:-(

http://www.sunderlandmaritimeheritage.org.uk/adelaide.htm

chingdevil

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2008, 08:46:51 pm »

At last the lottery people have finally seen sense. I think the City of Adelaide should get funding as they are both icons of a long gone age, but seeing how the lottery people  work sadly I will not hold my breath.

Brian

farrow

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2008, 04:45:41 pm »

If we do not help these old ladies , the yanks will come and take em back states side. Just like the Arethusia (Peking), Wavetree and they nearly beat us to the Great Britain.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2008, 08:19:26 pm »

If we do not help these old ladies , the yanks will come and take em back states side. Just like the Arethusia (Peking), Wavetree and they nearly beat us to the Great Britain.
Sorry, lost me there. Please expound on "Arethusia" and "Wavetree"....please?
Notes from a simple seaman

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2008, 01:38:02 am »

Arethusia was a British WW1 cruiser referred to at the following link http://www.owensarchive.com/world-war-i/sinking-of-the-german-cruiser-bluecher/prod_4189.html
The Wavetree is a 3 masted sailing vessel, built in Southampton in 1885, currently on display at Pier 17 in the East River, New York City.http://www.flickr.com/photos/highdef/1588320443/
I found this information with a simple Google search.
Peter

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2008, 07:05:14 pm »

Arethusia was a British WW1 cruiser referred to at the following link http://www.owensarchive.com/world-war-i/sinking-of-the-german-cruiser-bluecher/prod_4189.html
The Wavetree is a 3 masted sailing vessel, built in Southampton in 1885, currently on display at Pier 17 in the East River, New York City.http://www.flickr.com/photos/highdef/1588320443/
I found this information with a simple Google search.
Peter
Sorry, just asking.
Notes from a simple seaman

farrow

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2008, 10:49:18 pm »

The Arethusia I was mentioning was the Ex "Peking" of the Flying P line a german owned 4 masted barque which was bought out of trade and used as a moored training ship at Upnor on the River Medway. In the 1970's she was sold by the Charitywho owned her and under the Government Charity Laws she was sold to the highest bidder, or though the German port of original registry wanted her as a memorial to thier past sailing maritime history much the same as the Cutty Sark, also the Charity expressed thier preferred wish as that as well. But the Yanks came over and let be known that they had the cash to out bid everyone and took her away to New York and she is moored next to the "Wavetree" now as the " Peking". 

farrow

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2008, 08:51:07 am »

To get back to the thread of the discussion, the money is small fry compared to what is spent else where by the Government. The Cutty Sark, City of Adelaide and other historical vessels are irreplaceable, replicas could be made, but they do not have that tangibility which only the original has or their ghosts of the past. So yes I believe the Government should take action to put these vessels in a national collection and actively pursue their preservation, how much money was lost on the Dome, will be on the forth coming Olympics.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 22 queries.