Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Large tins of Humbrol  (Read 7639 times)

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
Large tins of Humbrol
« on: July 03, 2006, 11:31:54 pm »

Anyone seen larger tins oh Humbrol No 70 Brick Red.
I am painting a 10 foot hull which has been previously painted so using Humbrol, but small tinlets costing a fortune!!
Officially a GOG.

ambernblu

Re: Large tins of Humbrol
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2006, 07:01:06 am »

Hi.... I'm going into the Model Shop at Leeds today (ex-Flying Models) so I'll have a look see what they have.... and get back to you!

Daryl

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2006, 09:17:21 am »

Humbrol is owned by the same people who own Heller and Airfix. I have heard that they have drastically reduced their range of paints and the large range in particular. If you go on the Airfix web site there is a chart of the ones currently available or a link to Humbrols web site.

In my local model shop Antics they still sell the small cans of Humbrol Acrylic which Humbrol stopped making over two years ago.

Daryl

Malcolm Reade

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2006, 10:41:01 am »

Mornin' all

We use red Humbrol for painting our large and small cowl vent bowls.? We normally pick up a couple of tins from Robin of Cammett Ltd when we see him at a show.

He tells us that Humbrol is going to be discontinued in a year or so because the manufacturer won't be able to get it to comply with incoming Health & Safety legislation!? The whole world is going bonkers!? ::) ::) ::)

I have seen large tins for sale in the Hobbycraft shops that you see around the Country, our nearest one is at Bridgemere Garden Centre in South Cheshire.

Regards

Malcolm

Daryl

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2006, 10:58:15 am »

Great now what! Do you know if they have any plans to reinstate their range in the future or is it curtains for them. Puts the model enthusiasts in a bit of a pickle.

I wonder how Airfix and Revell are taking the news as both refer to Humbrol in their instructions.

Daryl

Malcolm Reade

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2006, 11:20:28 am »

Hi Daryl

The way things are going, the only models you will be able to make before too long will be dugout canoes! No glue, no EEE, no paint etc.? But then, you'd need an axe which would be classed as a dangerous weapon?

The willingness of this Government to adopt the silly legislation that is being churned out in Brussels is ruining almost every aspect of our lives in this country, both business and leisure.? It's about time it was stopped.

I bet Roger in France doesn't have these problems?

Regards, Malcolm

Daryl

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2006, 12:51:40 pm »

I bet he does!

Daryl

Made it to 80 (25p Richer now)

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2006, 12:53:50 pm »

Oh no you can't go making dug-out boats that would mean cutting down a tree and that isn't good for the enviroment global warming and all that :P :P
I'm not old I'm mature middle aged

Malcolm Reade

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2006, 01:41:47 pm »

Hi Daryl / Youngat65

My comment about Roger not having the same problem in France alluded to the way that they have of quietly forgetting legislation from Brussels that doesn't suit them in that country...

Point taken about cutting down trees - do you think it would be possible to recycle Gatso speed cameras into model boats if we cut those down instead?? ;D ;D ;D

Regards, Malc

Eddy Matthews

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2006, 01:46:04 pm »

Point taken about cutting down trees - do you think it would be possible to recycle Gatso speed cameras into model boats if we cut those down instead?  ;D ;D ;D

Regards, Malc

If the camera went off while you were cutting it down, would you get done for indecent exposure? Sorry ;D

Eddy

Malcolm Reade

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2006, 01:52:27 pm »

Me? No!  ;D ;D ;D

anmo

• Full Mayhemer
  • That's unpossible!
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2006, 02:36:03 pm »

.... do you think it would be possible to recycle Gatso speed cameras into model boats if we cut those down instead?? ;D ;D ;D

Regards, Malc

That was clearly written by someone with points on their license.
caution, may contain traces of nuts .....

ambernblu

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2006, 02:46:52 pm »

Report from my sojourn into Leeds as promised - and it appears to be as described by everyone above - there were two rows of the large Humbrol tins, but most, if not virtually all, were the Gloss range (19 - Gloss Red being the only red available in that size of tin!) There were just two Matt colours that I could see - Black or White!!

When I asked the assistant he said that what they had in stock was all that was available from Humbrol....  :'(

Not good eh?

Daryl

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2006, 03:10:16 pm »

Here in the costwolds we had a local who was a bit irritated at the pletora of speed cameras. So he or she took a cutting torch and proceeded to cut the cameras down. Loacl police naturally appealed for witnesses apparently none came forward.

No idea if the culprit was found but since last summer no more have bit the dust.

Daryl

White Ensign

• Full Mayhemer
  • Limits must be limited!
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2006, 03:27:21 pm »

Similar Problem here in Germany, but there is a company producing equivalents to the Humbrol range. They are called model-master. Pretty good stuff, though hope is not lost at all.
About Bruxelles, get lost with it! I`ve been trying the third time to pass it- but the signs on the motorway lead you to nowwhere. Gladly we got it this time on the second try right to get the correct exit to the UK.
I wonder how somebody, who is not able to sign his motorways in a civilised way, can rule the rest of Europe.... ::)

J?rg
When God created planet earth, he made it with 75% of water. Bet he had the modelboaters on his mind!

Malcolm Reade

« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2006, 03:58:45 pm »

Hi Jorg

Bruxelles isn't the only place with poor road signs....

When we first went to live in South Africa in 1980, we bought our first car and decided to go to a place called Hiedelberg for the day (it's got a great vintage car museum) - about 60KM south-east of Johannesburg.? We followed the signs as best as we could, but ended up in Pretoria - about 70KM north of Johannesburg!

The points on my licence came from a mobile camera van parked on a road going through an industrial estate just south of Runcorn about a year ago - the road had been 40mph for ever, but they'd reduced the speed limit to 30mph a couple of days before (and hadn't told anybody). No side roads, schools, children, anything, just a long stretch of road with grass verges both sides. I went across the roundabout, changed up into 4th gear as I went around the curve ahead and wallop!? Criminalised!

Everybody locally believes that they reduced the limit just for speed trapping purposes....I got caught doing 36mph..at 8.30pm on a dark evening in the rain.? I had a clean licence for 35 years prior to that. (and am a member of the Institute of Advanced Motorists in two Countries).

Regards, Malc

anmo

• Full Mayhemer
  • That's unpossible!
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2006, 05:35:49 pm »

The points on my licence came from a mobile camera van parked on a road going through an industrial estate just south of Runcorn about a year ago - the road had been 40mph for ever, but they'd reduced the speed limit to 30mph a couple of days before (and hadn't told anybody). No side roads, schools, children, anything, just a long stretch of road with grass verges both sides. I went across the roundabout, changed up into 4th gear as I went around the curve ahead and wallop!? Criminalised!

Knew it !!!
caution, may contain traces of nuts .....

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2006, 05:51:19 pm »

I sympathise Malc. I too had a clean licence for over 30 years and then got caught by a speed trap hidden behind a hedge which was targetting people heading out of Petworth 100 yards from a no speed limit sign early on a Sunday morning with hardly any traffic about. Today, on the way into Kingston on Thames I passed two large camera vehicles in a layby togther with a bunch of motorcycle cops who were obviously being employed to follow and stop offenders. On the way back I saw one poor devil being given a ticket. To  my mind this just constitutes harassment of the motorist. Law abiding folk are clearly easier targets than the muggers which reportedly infest our streets. Not much chance of building up Police/Public relationships these days is there? There was a report in the paper the other day which said that police refused to chase a thief who had made off with somebody's scooter because he had no helmet on and could have hurt himself if he'd fallen off. God knows what might have happened if he'd been carrying a tin of Humbrol as well!

Malcolm Reade

« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2006, 05:58:17 pm »

Hi Colin

It probably won't be long before they criminalise posession of Humbrol - after all, it is mighty dangerous stuff!

Regards, Malc

maninthestreet

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2006, 09:14:18 pm »

Humbrol claim to be launching a new range of acrylic paints:

http://airfix.com/cs/blogs/articles/archive/2006/06/14/48321.aspx

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2006, 09:28:41 pm »

Sounds a bit like "jump before you are pushed". Still, if the range continues and the paint performs as claimed then the change to acrylic could be an improvement.

Stavros

« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2006, 11:23:47 pm »

Ok back to teh problem in hand why don,t you go down to B+Q or any other good diy outlet with a sample of the colour that you need and they will mix up that quantity that you need in an ordinary or dare I say it non drip gloss/satin or even if you ask nicely matt,yes I know it is not HUMBROL but as long as it matches the original does it really matter.As it is an enamel that has been used on you boat make sure thta you dont get an acrilic or it will react

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2006, 01:50:26 am »

Have just bit the bullet and bought another 6 tins, enough to complete the anti-fouling on the hull.
Dont think Humbrol make that colour in large tins.
Oh well start looking for replacement paints I suppose.
Shame as I always used Humbrol when unsure about previously painted base coats.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2006, 05:27:43 pm »

Dont matter now, on cleaning up the hull I have found a hairline crack running for over half the hull. The full height and right along her bilge.
Need to take all the paint off and check all the planks.
Oh well only a years work.

Bob
Officially a GOG.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 22 queries.