Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fast Hull i/c conversion to electric  (Read 2062 times)

Welsh_Druid

• Full Mayhemer
Fast Hull i/c conversion to electric
« on: February 03, 2008, 03:04:47 pm »

I have been asked by a friend if we can  A) Identify this model and B) recommend required motor/ prop for electric drive.

Model is reputed to be a model of a French offshore power boat  originally powered by a Merco 61 engine with a 50mm dia two blade prop. Hull 36 inch long, 12 inch beam, weight ( stripped out) 8lbs. Probably 45-50 years old !   Anyone know what it is ?

Suggested motor and prop size from anyone who has anything like it appreciated.

Thanks

Don B.

grasshopper

• Full Mayhemer
    • A1 Hobbies Ltd.
Re: Fast Hull i/c conversion to electric
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2008, 04:04:19 pm »

Looks a bit like a 'Surfury' - used to be in the plans handbooks from MAP

found this link for you http://www.surfury.co.uk/

BobF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2008, 05:31:52 pm »

Hi,

As already mentioned, it is a Surfury. I have two hulls but have never done anything with them.

When I researched details about this boat model, it was mentioned several times, that they are not good at speed so therefore don't want to be over powered. The actual article said they turned badly at speed, so not a nimble hull. Just fast in a straight line. I believe this is common with hulls of this style of design. Recommended speed for the model not to exceed twenty MPH.

Regards Bob

Welsh_Druid

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2008, 05:55:03 pm »

Thanks chaps for your very quick response.  Now that we know what it is - any suggestions for a suitable motor/ prop installation ?  I am not used to fast boats so can't really suggest what should be used.

The owner is an aeromodeller and has several lipo batteries that could be used for lightness if it needs the weight to be kept down.

Don

Stavros

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2008, 09:14:35 pm »

Graupener 700bb turbo 14v 7.2v 3700 stick packs,55mm prop should fly!!!

Stavros

GARY C

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2008, 11:45:08 am »

Hi,

As already mentioned, it is a Surfury. I have two hulls but have never done anything with them.

When I researched details about this boat model, it was mentioned several times, that they are not good at speed so therefore don't want to be over powered. The actual article said they turned badly at speed, so not a nimble hull. Just fast in a straight line. I believe this is common with hulls of this style of design. Recommended speed for the model not to exceed twenty MPH.

Regards Bob
Just to confirm with Bob, yes it is a Surfury. I too have one that I restored. The hull is fibreglass and deck/superstruture is made of ply.
I believe the hull was made by SHG, which I have owned since the 70s. she is powered by an old Enya 45 to support the era of the model.

Yes, she does turn badly, allmost on its side. You have to sail it with respect and throttle back on the turn. she has large trim tabs on the transom to help keep her stable.

A true classic, and a "BLAST FROM THE PAST".    Please restore her to her former glory like I did.

Gary.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 21 queries.