Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help for Humbrol Acrylic  (Read 5984 times)

bigfella

Help for Humbrol Acrylic
« on: February 05, 2008, 11:08:31 am »

Hi All

I have just been on the Humbrol site and looking at the Acrylic paint section and it says that when using their paint in the little tinlets for airbrushing to use water as a thinner. Now I am confused as I have conflicting information on this. HELP!!!!!!!!!!

Regards David

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
  • Mayhem is the Only Forum!
    • Roys Hompage
Re: Help for Humbrol Acrylic
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008, 12:04:54 pm »

Bigfella,

I have found over here that if you are thinning with water, try to use rain or tank water, not the crap that comes from the tap, good luck mate............

Roy
I try not to be naughty but nautical

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008, 12:08:38 pm »

You're right David definitely says water. Experiment first. O0
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2008, 01:30:04 pm »

Although you can use water as a solvent for acrylics I am still convinced that the correct manufacturers thinner gives better results.  One of the biggest concerns is when spraying.  If the thinners does not evaporate at the same rate as the paint then you could get a poor surface due to the viscosity of the paint varying.  Manufacturers thinners is designed to evaporate at the same rate as the paint so the viscosity remains constant through out the drying process.

Also you only have to try to clean you brush in water and then in the correct thinners to see how more effective a solvent it is.  The temptation of course is that water costs you nothing but what is the cost to you of an imperfect finish with visible blemishes or particles?

I always use the relevent manufacturers thinners.  Tamiya acrylic thinners is a world apart from using water and well worth the expense.

I don't think there is any conflicting information on this, water can be used but proper thinners is better at the job.

As Dicky says, and I always tell people the same, experiment with paints, do sample pieces so that you are sure what to expect when you apply the paint to the actual model.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

bigH

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2008, 03:22:42 pm »

BFella, of course you can mix Acrylics with water, that's what makes it so easy to clean brushes etc; after use. what you should not do is to mix and then spray onto a non-absorbant material such as plastic / resin etc;.     the water will 99.9% of the time not secure a permanant hold and if knocked or scratched wil peel off in one large piece, after over 45yrs in the Illustration business I have found that there is no substitute for using the right tools for the right job if you want to get the right finish.       
   Take heed of the advice of Bunkerbarge and the others here on the forum it's good advice.........   bigH

bigfella

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2008, 09:17:12 pm »

Hi All

Thanks for the replies. I do take notice of all information given here that is the fantastic thing about Mayhem it is the font of knowledge. I would like to use Humbrol as it is readily available and pretty inexpensive. Does anyone know if Humbrol have an Acrylic Thinner or is using Tamiya Thinner OK to use with Humbrol????

Regards David

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2008, 08:41:55 am »

David you might find this interesting, all about airbrushing and different types of paint.
They reckon Humbrol acrylics and Tamiya thinners work well together. O0

http://www.miniatures.de/html/ger/airbrush.html

bigfella

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2008, 10:01:57 pm »

Richard, Thanks for the link, some great tips there. Once my Compressor and airbrush arrives (a couple of days they tell me) I will zip down to a Hobby shop and buy some different finishes (mat, satin etc) in Humbrol Acrylic paints and some Tamiya Thinners and start experimenting (its alive, its alive ha ha haaaa).Thanks again mate O0 O0 O0.

Regards David

Oh by the way the spell checker does no recognise Humbrol or Tamiya

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2008, 10:18:19 pm »

Humbrol and Tamiya are trade names David, just add them to your spell checker's dictionary and it won't try to correct you on these words again.
Peter.

bigfella

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2008, 10:41:58 pm »

Hi Peter

I did not know the forum spell checker had a dictionary??

Regards David

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2008, 01:20:02 am »

David, if the spell checker thinks a word is spelt incorrectly, it is underlined with red dots. Right click on the word and a drop down box appears with suggested spelling, and also an "add to dictionary" option - just left click that.
Peter.

bigfella

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2008, 08:46:18 am »

David, if the spell checker thinks a word is spelt incorrectly, it is underlined with red dots. Right click on the word and a drop down box appears with suggested spelling, and also an "add to dictionary" option - just left click that.
Peter.

Peter I think you are referring to Microsoft Word Spell checker and not the Mayhem Forum's in built spell checker. Unless you have a different version of the forum than me...............MARTIN??????????????????? Because when I click on the forums spell checker the only options I have are Change, Change All, Ignore and ignore all. and it gives you 3 or 4 options of the words that are closet to the missspelled word.

Regards David

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2008, 11:52:44 pm »

David, it works for me on the forum - perhaps it is linked automatically to my MS spell checker. Martin may be able to clarify the m\issue.
Peter.

sentry

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2008, 10:09:29 pm »

Hi Bigfella,
As a plastic modeler for many a year i have always used halfords screen wash as a acrylic thinner is good and you get lots for your money hope this helps and you give this a try.   Sentry.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2008, 10:12:30 pm »

Hi Bigfella,
As a plastic modeler for many a year i have always used halfords screen wash as a acrylic thinner is good and you get lots for your money hope this helps and you give this a try.   Sentry.
But can you buy it in Oz ?  :-\

bigfella

« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2008, 10:46:08 pm »

Halfords must be a UK only company. I hear a lot about their products but to try and find the equivalent here in Australia would be like trying to find the proverbial needle. But Humbrol say to me that pure water is OK for their paint. O0 O0 O0

bigfella

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2008, 11:21:46 pm »

Just as a point of interest I have just had a browse through the Halfords website and had a look at the above mentioned Screen Wash. I am wondering how you would use it for thinning? Do you use it as is because it is a concertrate or do you water it down to its recommended consistency and then mix it with your paint. It has opened a new option if I can order it on-line and get it posted to me for a reasonable price here in Australia. Just need to know how to use it and what ratio required with Humbrol. More info would be great please.

Regards David

bigfella

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2008, 10:18:50 pm »

UPDATE

I have just received a reply to my inquiry from Halfords. They state that they do not ship the Screen Wash to Australia and they are unsure of a comparable brand that may be available here. In other words they have put it in the too hard basket. So I am back to good old H2O.

Regards David

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2008, 10:24:10 pm »

Most screen wash is an ethanol/glycol solution. I shouldn't imagine it varies very much from country to country although in Oz there's likely to be less requirement for the anti freezing element that we (sometimes!) need in the UK.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.308 seconds with 22 queries.