Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why has the "PLAN BUILD NUMBER THREE " moved  (Read 6500 times)

Tester

• Full Mayhemer
Why has the "PLAN BUILD NUMBER THREE " moved
« on: March 22, 2008, 09:44:11 pm »

Just wondering why the thread has been moved, I thought the idea was to keep all the Tutorials in one place?

Now, it seems, we have to search somewhere else to find them...

Richard

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Why has the "PLAN BUILD NUMBER THREE " moved
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2008, 11:15:42 pm »

Because a tutorial is an explanation of how to do a specific thing such as make brass handrails, paint the perfect finish on a hull, rescale a plan, wire up a lighting circiut, etc..etc..etc..

Bluebirds thread is far more than the sum of all the seperate tutorials it contains and makes into a superb build thread of a complete model, which is why I moved it to the Build section.

Obviously as we have already indicated after the board headings were renamed recently there will be a period of time when not everything will be in quite the right place.  As all the moderators continue to tidy up older threads eventually everything will be in a more logical place making it easier for newcomers and established members to find what they are looking for.

In the meantime apologies for causing confusion but I think we are already seeing an easier forum to navigate so I'm sure it will all be worthwhile in the end.

I think it will also be worth it in the end to have the build thread on the build board and a Q&A thread on the Hints, Tips and Tutorials Board, which has worked so well with Bluebirds other build threads and prevented the chatter from getting in the way of the build thread itself.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2008, 11:27:53 pm »

hi ya bunkerbarge, you may aswell move the cervia build and also the topic a plan for a beginner, in that case these 2 subjects are not tutorials - they are just builds.  The original idea was to put 5 types of build on, leading folk through from an 'easy build' to a 'complicated build' using different techniques.

oh...whatever floats the boat.

aye
john e
bluebird
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2008, 01:18:43 am »

Thanks for your help John, much appreciated.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

Proteus

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2008, 01:25:39 am »

I think the how to section needs sorting you have things like bluebirds builds in with ship sims and what can I do with Coffey stirrers , the how to 's need to be that and not people asking how do I do so and so , the how to of some people have taken hours to take photos and write then are just lumped in with about 80 others

fredy

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2008, 09:44:39 am »

hi ya there Bunkerbarge - I think you may have misunderstood what I was getting at; the oiriginal idea of the Beginners plan was to take a simple plan, such as the Dave Milbourn plan, the Swordsman build.  After finishing that build, taking another plan, the Cervia tug build to show a newcomer the easy steps of reading from a plan and different methods of planking and making a hull, superstructure and so forth....the third plan is the 63 foot whale back, which uses yet again a different planking system - also, different materials for coating the hull etc.

So as a newcomer - he/she may go one to one particular board, and originally it was the beginners build - and have the 3-4 builds one after another in the same category.    Not for a person to have to hunt round the forum to find different builds etc., and that is why I originally put this 63 foot whaleback in the How To section/tutorial/whatever.

So, basically, by moving the topics about - I am wasting my time - as no one will be able to follow the build one after the other.  So they can compare the different techniques used.

John
very disillusion
BLUEBIRD

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2008, 09:58:54 am »

You have a good point John, it's being looked at. Watch this space.

Don't be disillusioned - it will be sorted!

Colin

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2008, 10:31:11 am »

Think John is right his are not ordinary builds, they go into things a lot deeper and as he said they make up a set of different constructions that should be kept together.
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2008, 10:35:58 am »

DickyD,
Read the previous post.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2008, 11:53:54 am »

We are currently looking into specific ideas to address this.

Stavros

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2008, 03:52:11 pm »

This forum is getting very frustrating to use COME ON MODERATORS stop moving things around leave things alone fro goodness sake i for one is getting sick and tired of having things moved and I don't suppose that I am theonly one >>:-( >>:-( >>:-( >>:-( >>:-(

Stavros

Martin13

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2008, 04:26:54 pm »

Hi, all you Moderators and the like.

Now, it's only 3AM here in Aussie land (can't sleep) and have just finished reading John's build No.3

As with the Cervia build, a seperate thread was created in order to keep the original build totally intact and allow for Q & A as I have several.

>>:-(WHERE DO I GO NOW >>:-(

I was lucky to stumble onto this thread

I don't think John will be impressed by the amount of emails I may have to send for answers - apologies John in advance :embarrassed: :embarrassed: :embarrassed:

Martin Doon Under

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2008, 05:08:04 pm »

hi there, Martin & all

that's what our inboxes are for - emails - receiving and sending  :) :)   No doubt when the moderators have decided on plan Z - cos they have tried plan A, also plan B ......... and the dust has settled then they will get it sorted out and there will be a place to post questions and answers and so forth and we will all get used to it....and away they go changing it again - isnt that right Mr Martin Mayhem, kind Sir.....

Last note - Martin13 - doon under - I am one of the privileged ones who has seen what you have built so far, and I think the rest of the Forum should see your work - because you have done a marvelous job of the hull you are building... come on Martin get on posting your pictures of your build.

aye
john e
bluebird

Martin13

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2008, 05:21:23 pm »

I'm getting around to it John. It's now 4 AM and still can't sleep - must be nervous about my first attempt at fibre glassing tomorrow...er.. later this morning..

If it's okay, will email you re your current build

Martin Doon Under

P.S Must ask swmbo if she can take a pic or two whilst I am fibre glassing - don't think she will be impressed if I get resin on her digi camera >>:-( >>:-(

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2008, 05:35:20 pm »

Sorry lads, just sorting what should go in the Masterclass topic now.... there are a lot of good build topics on here but we do want to "cherry pick" the "best" builds.

Notices will be posted here once it's done....

Mmmmmm, I smell a roast dinner!  :)
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2008, 10:10:29 pm »

Should make a bit more sense now.......he hoped!

New Masterclass topic started:  http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=124.0

To keep the questions and chatter away from the build threads, new sections will be added under:
Tutorials & "How To’s" ... http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=111.0

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Tester

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2008, 10:17:26 pm »

That's great, everything in one place and easy to follow.

Thanks Martin   O0 O0

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2008, 09:01:19 pm »

Moderator did all the work really  O0
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.26 seconds with 22 queries.