Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: multiple voltage chargers?  (Read 6988 times)

sunnybob

multiple voltage chargers?
« on: February 07, 2008, 07:33:59 pm »

Hi, does anyone know of a multiple voltage charger, that will charge both the transmitter and the motor batteries?
I dont want anymore of the damn things that I have to, :)
Bob

alan colson

• Full Mayhemer
  • I Just Dabble In Model Boats
Re: multiple voltage chargers?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008, 08:34:04 pm »

Try www.modelpower.co.uk they have a good selection of chargers. If you want to see their selection they are at Brighton Modelworld next weekend 15th-17th Feb. The following week I think they are at Midhurst on the Sunday, but check their show dates on the web site
Alan

sunnybob

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2008, 10:50:12 pm »

Thanks for the link, but its just taken me on a chase around a dozen other sites. ::) The main problem is I dont know what I want, because I am an absolute beginner, so am learning (trying to) as I go.

I have sent a couple of emails for advice, I hope the shops will reply.
thanks again
Bob

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2008, 10:52:39 pm »

I would doubt if you can easily get a charger that can cope with the TX, RX and main power supplies simultaneously, especially if the radio and main drive batteries are of different types.

alan colson

• Full Mayhemer
  • I Just Dabble In Model Boats
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2008, 03:45:45 pm »

I am not certain if we are all on the same wavelength here. I assumed that we where talking about a charger that would charge TX, RX and 7.2volt or similar race type pack at the same time from the mains. A Protech Mega Peak 3000 which I purchased a couple of years ago from Model Power will do this, but I do not know if they still sell them, if they don't I feel sure they will have an alternative.
If I am reading the question wrong about the charger required then I apologize for being misleading.
Alan

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2008, 05:28:26 pm »

I think you will find Westbournes have what you want.  O0

http://www.westbourne-models.com/erol.html
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

sunnybob

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2008, 05:45:22 pm »

I need a battery charger that will charge the Tx battery, which is a graupner 9,6v 1.5 ah, the pack of 4 AA ni-cads for the RX, and also the motor battery, which is the 6v flat Nimh battery.
I have seen chargers with multiple leads, but dont know which I need.
I am going to Westbournes tomorrow, i shall see what they suggest.
thanks
Bob

sunnybob

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2008, 08:48:36 pm »

well...... after my visit to westbourne models... still no charger >:( cant say I was too impressed, they had a charger, but couldnt supply the charging leads, said I could come back next week.   ?? Not with a 190 mile round trip I cant >:( >:(
So its back to websurfing for me.

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2008, 09:09:13 pm »

Try one of these (Robbe Lader 6 #8365 - about 25th down on the page). No fancy delta-peak cut-off, just plain old 240v AC from the plug 'ole; use a timer plug for the ultimate in sophistication! If Jonny Pole won't supply you with charging leads to go with it then we can; it ain't rocket science to solder banana plugs.

http://www.modelpower.co.uk/acatalog/Chargers.htm

Had one for years - wouldn't be without it. Suit yourself.

FLJ

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2008, 09:20:47 pm »

That looks interesting FLJ, not a bad price either. I see that the output quotes 2-12v for lead acids. is this step or variable? The reason I ask is that I have a boat which uses 4 lead acid Cyclon cells which means I need an 8 volt charge rate. At the moment I have an old Flair Varivolt which seems to do the job but if it packs up then I'm stuck! If the Robbe isn't suitable would you have any other suggestions for an 8 volt charge setup? Please don't suggest a wind up.... ;)

sunnybob

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2008, 09:55:09 am »

Try one of these (Robbe Lader 6 #8365 - about 25th down on the page). No fancy delta-peak cut-off, just plain old 240v AC from the plug 'ole; use a timer plug for the ultimate in sophistication! If Jonny Pole won't supply you with charging leads to go with it then we can; it ain't rocket science to solder banana plugs.

http://www.modelpower.co.uk/acatalog/Chargers.htm

Had one for years - wouldn't be without it. Suit yourself.

FLJ

Strangely enough, that was the one they had, but no leads that fitted my stuff. The problem I have,as a complete beginner, is that I dont even know the descriptions of the plugs i have on my batteries, so I cant order them online. I need to find someone locally who can identify what I have.
Bob

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2008, 11:52:04 am »

Go on the component shop web site they have pictures of plugs etc on there :

http://www.component-shop.co.uk/html/leads_connectors.html

O0

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2008, 02:40:58 pm »

That looks interesting FLJ, not a bad price either. I see that the output quotes 2-12v for lead acids. is this step or variable? The reason I ask is that I have a boat which uses 4 lead acid Cyclon cells which means I need an 8 volt charge rate. At the moment I have an old Flair Varivolt which seems to do the job but if it packs up then I'm stuck! If the Robbe isn't suitable would you have any other suggestions for an 8 volt charge setup? Please don't suggest a wind up.... ;)
Colin
I've never used mine to charge SLA batteries because I have a poncy micro-computerised thingy for that job. The instructions have long since been filed under LWT. The output seems to be a simple constant current @ 0.5A; there's no facility to vary the voltage, and the 0.5A output can only be used on its own i.e. you can't use any of the other sockets at the same time. Jon or James at M/P should have more gen on the beast; a lot more than I have on charging Cyclons. If I come across anything you'll be the second person to find out. I bet PMK has something relevant stored away in his apple-powered brain.......and I'm sure Wombat will give you the theory if you need the full SP  ;)

SunnyBob
Take some piccies with a digital camera and post them hereon, or do as DD suggests and have a look at Component Shop's pictures to ID which connectors you have. We'll also need to know the capacity, in Ah, of your Rx and main drive NiMH packs. The rest is a piece of whatever-pieces-come-from-on-your-part-of-the-planet ; all you have to do is ask nicely. We LURV to help here! ::)
FLJ

BW What sort of transmitter is your 1.5Ah pack fitted in (e.g  Futaba, Hitech)? Does it have a charging socket?

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2008, 03:33:56 pm »

Thanks FLJ. Modelpower will be at Brighton next week so I'll have a look then. I think I've already asked John before though and he didn't have anything suitable. The 0.5ah output on the Robbe sounds very similar to the setup on the Varivolt which is supposed to "sense" the connected battery and pulse charge at 2 amps whiich prsumably means that the average rate is lower. It does seem to work.

sunnybob

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2008, 05:36:58 pm »

That component site shows what appear to be my connectors, but there are no measurements! for example, do I have a tamiya connector? or a MINI tamiya connector? :-\ :-\ :-\

Heres what I have and know for certain.
1 x Graupner X408 transmitter, with a battery 8NH-1500TX, its  9.6V, 1.5ah. This unit has a side connector socket for charging without removing the battery. This looks like a fat phone charging socket.

2 x JP EnErG pro motor batteries, NIMH SC3300H, they are 6.0v,"flat" (according to the label) They have what appear to be tamiya white connectors.
So I need a cheap charger(s) for these batteries.

Also, while I'm being a nuisance, I have an "Electronise FR30Hx" speed controller, which has a small black 3 wire connector for the RX, but it DOES NOT FIT! The graupner Rx has sockets with champferred edges on two sides to stop reversal fitting, but the esc has what at first sight seems to be exactly the same plug, but its a few thou of an inch wider, and does not have champfers. How do I find out what plug I need to fit to the esc?

Life aint easy for a newbie ::) ::) ::)

Faraday's Cage

• Full Mayhemer
  • Change is inevitable, except from a drinks machine
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2008, 05:47:40 pm »

That component site shows what appear to be my connectors, but there are no measurements! for example, do I have a tamiya connector? or a MINI tamiya connector?

Standard Tamiya connectors are approx 13.5mm  wide and mini tamiya connectors are approx 10mm  wide.

A few minutes with a file will normally sort out the rx plug problem.

Hope this helps,
FC

sunnybob

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2008, 06:13:46 pm »

now thats the kind of info I need! thanks a lot for that. I now know I have standard tamiya connectors on my motor batteries. O0 O0

Do you think filing such a small plug is a good idea? I'm worried the connectors might not line up properly once I file the plug off centre. :(

Faraday's Cage

• Full Mayhemer
  • Change is inevitable, except from a drinks machine
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2008, 06:31:33 pm »

Sunnybob,

You stated previously that there was only a few thou difference so it shouldn't be a problem. I have resorted to this method before and found it ok.

FC

Stavros

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2008, 06:44:17 pm »

Just cut the dammed little tank that is on the plug off I DO IT ALL THE TIME AND HAVE never HAD ANY PROBS

Stavros

sunnybob

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2008, 07:16:27 pm »

Just cut the dammed little tank that is on the plug off I DO IT ALL THE TIME AND HAVE never HAD ANY PROBS

Stavros
Stavros, sorry, i dont understand what you mean. This is a small black three wire flat plug, that doesnt quite fit the receiver socket. Doesnt have a tang.
I'll have to search this site a bit more and find out how to post pictures.
Bob

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2008, 07:42:00 pm »

1st thing is, do the pins in the RX have the same spacing as the holes in the plug?
Assuming a "yes", then careful sanding/filing of the plug will allow the two to fit.  Being a few thou off-centre will not upset things - the springyness of the receptacles in the socket will make up the difference.  An alternative is to make the hole in the case fit the plug.  When all is said and done, its only plastic.
Then its just a matter of making sure its plugged in the right way round.  most RXs these days have settled on the idea that the ground (-ve) (black) is to the outside of the PCB, the power (+ve)(red) in the middle, and the signal wire (often white or yellow) is the most inboard.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

sunnybob

« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2008, 11:11:11 pm »

Yes, i think I will have to make the plug fit the socket, its just that i dont think I should have to >:(

Mr Whitworth had the right idea, one set of everything!! >:( >:(

Thanks
Bob O0

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2008, 11:35:18 am »

Whitworth had the right idea, but all electronic manufacturers have the same holy grail - to produce an item that appears to conform to an industry standard, but is completely incompatible with anybody else's, thus locking the customer into his product.  This is why we have files.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

sunnybob

« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2008, 05:20:20 pm »

Well, I've managed to get ONE charger. it only does the motor battery, the shop didnt have another for the TX.

I just cant beliieve how fragmented this hobby is. Every model shop Ive been to only has half of the things I need, everybody I've spoken to so far has different opinions and ideas, and I cant even get the right connecting plugs and sockets, I've got to make my own.

Oh well, i suppose the whole point of a hobby is to soak up your time and cash. ;D ;D
Bob

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2008, 05:57:42 pm »

Hey sunnybob do you have a shed. If so you could join our GOGWAS club, its free and you seem to have the right attitude. O0 ;)

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1264.0

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 21 queries.