Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Free running sail sheets (lines)?????  (Read 2264 times)

Popeye

• Full Mayhemer
  • I see no ships!
Free running sail sheets (lines)?????
« on: February 08, 2008, 08:37:17 pm »

Advise needed please.

The mainsheet line on one of my models is  tending to bind somewhere within the straight tube (conduit) within which it is routed , and  I've been unable to find a solution to the problem , despite inspecting the line (good condition and fray free - try say that with yer teeth out!) {-), and checking that there is no blockage or obstruction within the tube

Question:
Can any kind and knowledgable soul offer advise on the best method of 'lubricating' the sheet/line (1mm Dacron sourced from a leading model racing yacht/fittings retailer) to improve it's free-running quality without impairing its suppleness???? 

Thanks in anticipation for any positive response.

Popeye
Confucius he say, 'if all else fails.......reach for the  Red Top-Stop'.

bbdave

Re: Free running sail sheets (lines)?????
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2008, 07:24:35 am »

If the tube is clear and the line in good condition are you sure thats where it is binding? could there be a groove worn in the end which the line is catching on?

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2008, 10:48:05 am »

Isthe line kinking? If soi tmay be because it is twisted.If so remove the sail arm from the servo and rotate to untwist then re attach. This   may help
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Islander1951

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2008, 08:56:50 pm »

I use braided fishing line made by a leading US supplier of reels and rods, this is 80 lb rated and is a lot thinner than the sheets that you are using.
No problems with kinking or binding. O0

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2008, 02:37:21 pm »

Hi I am surprised it is binding, have you any sharp corners in the run?  I curve the plastic tubes I use so that all outside sheet runs are straight.  That is I curve the tube so that an end or a bend is like a stationary pulley.  I assume you do not have any screw-eyes in the run as they absorb an enormous amount of energy.
Failing that pencil led (graphite) rubbed on the line, should make a good dry lubricant.
Regards Roy
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 22 queries.