Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Damen axe bow fast crew supplier 3307  (Read 19946 times)

moller62

Damen axe bow fast crew supplier 3307
« on: February 08, 2008, 09:29:19 pm »

I came across the newly developed axe bow concept from Damen.nl.

DAMEN FAST CREW SUPPLIER 330 (http://www.damen.nl/PRODUCTS/DAMEN_FAST_CREW_SUPPLIERS.aspx?mId=8628)
The design seems easy to develop as a hard chine construction.
I tried to make a design using carlson hulldesigner. (http://www.carlsondesign.com/#Fun_Shareware)
The design is available as AXE.txt(rename to axe.hul before opening with carlson).
I find it difficult to use to print facility of the Carlson hull designer, so i have converted it to
a word zip file axe111.txt (rename to axe111.zip).
As a poc. i've made made a smaller mockup in carbon and tape, to ensure that it's possible to develop the chines from  Carlson's hull designer to a 'real' hull (tn_axeredwine.JPG /  yes the wine is French red wine;-)).
The actual hull will be made from 0.6 plywood.

cheers
Søren

moller62

Re: Damen axe bow fast crew supplier 3307
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2008, 10:09:51 pm »

Damen fast crew supplier

moller62

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2008, 10:11:18 pm »

Damen fast crew supplier 330 is 33 meters in loa. The vessel is depicted above (http://www.damen.nl/PRODUCTS/Damen_Fast_Crew_Supplier_3307.aspx?mId=8628&rId=79&Big=1).

The chines developed in axe111.doc has a length of .44 meters thus indicating a scale of 33 / .44 = 1/75.
The chines has been cut out of .6 mm ply and a temporary assambly of the model vessel is depicted below.

moller62

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2008, 08:51:14 pm »

Work in progress
Remaining work on the hull includes the transom. The aft of the hull has been reinforced with 3x16 mm balsa in order to stiffen the .6 mm ply sides.

moller62

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2008, 08:53:34 pm »

LiveryNext step will be the basic painting of the hull. Damen suggest various different liveries(page 34) in the Pdf document available at http://www.maritiemetechniek.nl/downloads/Bijlboeg%20Gelling.pdf.
The illustrations below originates from the pdf file, that also includes the drawing(page 35) i used when the chines were designed.

steve mahoney

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2008, 01:25:28 am »

Great looking boat. How are you progressing?
Steve

moller62

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2008, 11:54:06 pm »

Hi Steve
Thx. for your interest. The work is slowly progressing. The driveline has been installed. It consists of a Graupner speed 260 unit and a "noname" micro servo for the rudder control.

moller62

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2008, 11:56:55 pm »

Container load.
Similar to the ill-fated "Aziz" aka "RED PELICAN" (http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=4192.0), my build has a low aft deck. The builder (Kenny) of the RED PELICAN has modified Hi's vessel in order to avoid future sinkings.I've aligned to Kenny's modification (http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=4192.80), and added a deck load of 6 20' foot, hollowed out container's, of various owners. Depicted below is the vessel, with the aft deck and the 6 containers temporarily mounted. 

moller62

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2008, 08:03:42 pm »

Just a few pics to show the progress of the building. Depicted below is a picture of the real thing in the green livery i've decided to use. The picture originates from: http://www.damen.nl/News/Another_Damen_Fast_Crew_Supplier_3507_for_the_Croatian_Operator_Brodospas.aspx?mId=8565&rId=493

moller62

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2008, 08:05:21 pm »

Pics the real model thing :-)

moller62

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2008, 08:02:59 am »

The nitty-gritty work
I always seems to be quite fast, at least to my own judgement, when making the basic hull ::). So now comes the slow part where i have to add all the nitty- gritty details. 

moller62

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2008, 08:10:28 am »

Another view with the captain onboard :)

moller62

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2008, 08:23:21 pm »

Nitty gritty #1 Working on the radar mast.

There seems to be some discrepancy regarding the design of the radar mast.
The picture of the red crews supplier, uploaded februar 10, indicates a design including two 'legs' below the radar platform. The drawing depicted below indicates a one 'leg' design and so does several other of the uploaded pictures. As i'm building a semi-scale model of a class, rather than a peticular vessel, i opted for the two leg design. The two 'legs' will make the mast more stable and easier to mount on the roof of the wheel house.

moller62

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2008, 08:33:33 pm »

The mast was constructed of balsa for the 'legs', plywood for the platform and a 3mm square hollow plactic rod for the mast.

moller62

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2008, 03:28:12 pm »

Nitty gritty #2 Wheelhouse windows
As i see it there two ways of making windows.
Either 'cut-away' or not.
As seen on previes pictures i've opted for the 'not-cut-away' style.
I'm using some dark plastic glazing bought at the local office supply.
Below is a picture of the 'naked' wheelhouse with the readycut glazing ready to be glued on.

moller62

« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2008, 03:45:38 pm »

Gluing the windows to the wheelhouse proved more difficult than expectet. The glue worked fine but the windows turned darker in areas with glue. As the glue is not totally evenly distributed some area's of the glazing seems darker. This will not be visible 'at sea', but a close pond-side inspectoin will not please the a hard-core shipwright. I've decided to stay with to current glazing and mayby do a rebuild of the wheelhouse another time. As seen on the previes picture the wheelhouse is an independent item of the vessel. Below is picture of the vessel with glazing. the mentioned problem can be seen on the windows in the aft doors. The background of the picture shows my neigborhod i Copenhagen. As the summer has started some of the building efforts has been moved outside to the balcony. The Frech's redwine has been swopped with some latte' ;)

moller62

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2008, 08:37:26 pm »

Stop the press  O0
First 'real-life' floating test in the local fountain. (http://vejpark2.kk.dk/apps/monumenter/index.asp?lang=dk&mode=detalje&id=152) She floats a bit to high at the bow and a little low at the stern, so there's ' room for adjustment. 

offshore1987

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2008, 12:26:16 am »

Looks really nice that bud :)

very nice work indeed with a diffrent kind of boat

well done  O0

moller62

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2008, 09:09:34 pm »

Thx Thx. for the nice comment. Below is another picture from the fountain showing the low transom. Hope that moving the batteries forward will solve the problem. Next nitty gritty itrms will be ladders and railing. Cheers  :)

moller62

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2008, 10:43:30 pm »

Swan lake  ::)
No new nitty gritty details for now  :angel:, but a picture from the local modelboat club lake where Swans rule. Surly i'm a little reluctant to make the virgen 'power on' test at my home model boat clubs lake. Take a look at  the attack of the swans http://vallensbaekmodelskibsklub.dk/web/080507onsdagsholdet/pages/SNV33036.htm LOOKS frightening >>:-(

moller62

« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2008, 02:38:52 pm »

First sea trial, Titanic (almost) revisited :)
When you are almost finished, only outstanding some nitty gritty stuff, it's always tempting to go for a real sea trial.
So i did.
Before i went i had to move the battreries forward in order lift the transom to the expected waterline. In order to move to the batteries i had to remove some scrap wood. I removed the wood,using a large wood chisel and the batteries moved forward.

What i did not notice was the small crack/split that the operation had left in the bottom of the vessel below the batteries. The aft deck was taped in place so the final works below deck could be performed later and off i went.

At the local fountain i put her in the water, turned on the power and made a u-turn around the sparkling fountain. She looked great.
I examined her, there was a small amount of water inside the hull. I thought it was related the taped deck and water comming from the fountain, so i went to a bigger lake where i could make u-turns without entering the dangerous sparkling fountain water. She sailed well with a nice wave pattern (everybody says that), but continued to take water in.

Nice wave pattern ::)

moller62

« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2008, 02:41:24 pm »

I decided to stop the sailing, Tintannic was not revisited, but i was close.
I settled for the theory that water had  penetrated via the propeller tube which had not been olied/greased for this firt sea trail.

Home again, inspction of the hull revieled the crack in the bottum.

The crack seen from the inside of the vessel.

moller62

« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2008, 02:44:58 pm »

The crack seen from the outside of the vessel, and yes, it my balcony fountain you see in the background ::)

Roger in France

« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2008, 06:17:04 pm »

Glad you told us about the "balcony fountain". I thought it may have been you being sick over your bad luck!

Roger in France.

steve mahoney

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2008, 11:52:13 pm »

Nice result. It's a really interesting hull shape – I may try one myself.
Steve
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 22 queries.