Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Water pump  (Read 2455 times)

flag-d

Water pump
« on: July 04, 2006, 11:28:33 pm »

Anyone know where I can find a half decent water pump, suitable for motor cooling purposes:? I have tried a Robbe unit (which has MFA embossed on the actual pump housing!) and it is noisy and prone to jamming up.? I run in salt water but I do flush the thing through after every run.? I need a unit which is self priming ideally and runs quietly, 6V or 12V.

Any ideas chaps?

Mike

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
Re: Water pump
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2006, 04:57:47 pm »

A scoop aft of the prop any use or do you want a pump?

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Stavros

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2006, 11:00:08 pm »

A washer pump motor from Halfords this does not need self priming one of these keeps my mfa 850 cool

flag-d

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2006, 12:00:59 am »

I have a pair of scoops fitted, but they don't seem to do much (probably got them in the wrong place!).  I'd like a pump as the waste water exits from the exhaust ports so should exit all the time, even when stationary.  I've tried washer pumps before, but not had much success and found them quite noisy.  The motors tend not to have a high duty cycle and they're flippin' noisy too!

I'll keep looking...

Mike

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2006, 12:18:22 am »

In this months model boats model motors direct have a nice small pump its 6v and ?7.50 each inc p+p,but I would not give up on the scoop idea in the correct pos they work well and cool when the motor or c/ntr need it most .The mini pump could be used on say 3v to supply the exhaust.. a lot of mfa pumps are geared and can be used for pumping thick fuel.  Peter

White Ensign

• Full Mayhemer
  • Limits must be limited!
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2006, 07:33:38 am »

If it has to be a pump- just go to the next scrapyard and take one of the pumps fitted in cars watertanks for the wipers.

J?rg
When God created planet earth, he made it with 75% of water. Bet he had the modelboaters on his mind!

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2006, 08:27:51 am »

[If it has to be a pump- just go to the next scrapyard and take one of the pumps fitted in cars watertanks for the wipers.
quote]

I suspect you may find that car washer pumps are rated for intermittent use only. You'd have to use a lower voltage to run them continuously.

Stavros

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2006, 05:55:34 pm »

Colin Bishop the pumps are not a problem you can run them all day if you so wish,thay are NOT rated for intermitent use only sorry m8 but you are incorrect with this one ;)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2006, 06:29:34 pm »

OK - I stand corrected. I think somebody on the other forum mentioned that a particular Halford's pump was suitable as being self priming - or was that wrong too?  :).  Actually I was also wondering if you could use these pumps to propel small models using water jets. After all they seem to chuck a fair bit of it over car windscreens - could be a bit noisy though.

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2006, 07:14:46 pm »

Headlight washer pumps make good bow thruster's. No big holes and if you get the right one you can reverse it and you only neen one  Peter
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.194 seconds with 21 queries.