Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Robbe u-47  (Read 25650 times)

bbdave

Re: Robbe u-47
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2008, 05:23:40 pm »

Hi yesterday evening i  had a test in the bath and found a small leak around one of the propshafts which was quickly re-sealed then another duncking this morning which was leak free i blew into the valve to preasurise the cylinder until i couldn't get any more air in the only air that came out was around the prop tubes which arn't greased yet so that will cure that so all watertight which is better than i expected  O0.
 I started to make a watertight box for the bow servo which will be sealed with copious amounts of sealant and fitted into the bow when it's fitted.
 Just finished glueing the bow section on she's starting to look like a type vii now need all my batteries cable etc. to arrive so i can wire her up and go scare the pond life before filling all the joints and then  the real fun starts decking her and painting  {-)

Bath test

Watertight bow plane servo

The bow section attached

bbdave

« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2008, 10:34:21 pm »

Well all the electrical bits were got today and this evening i set about them with soldering iron and crimpers and after a couple of hours  it looked like a spiders web but with batteries connected it all seems to work i just need to tidy it all up a bit  ::).

All the bits

plenty to go wrong! but hopefully not

bbdave

« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2008, 07:10:18 pm »

I have now completed the bow planes servo i tested it in a bowl of water and it seems watertight O0 i fitted it in the bow using plenty of silicone so that cross fingers is the last of the running gear.
 Started the tower which for me is very fiddley but alot of the small parts i'm going to leave off i think they won't survive model life the ones i've fitted i'm dubious about but nothing i can't fix when they get knocked off. I'm not very impressed with Dream-arts tower it has needed alot of work to get to line up correctly the mouldings married up eventualy but were still off centre and the vertical lines are way off true! they didn't supply enough wire to finish the job but none of these problems arise till i started building it at which point it's to late to send back. Maybe i should have gone for the Acurate armour option even though it's 1/35 i'm surwe no one would have noticed.

Notice the solder join on the short wire length!

the very small gun which is proving a struggle

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2008, 07:59:38 pm »

Impressive!  O0

What did you use to glue the perspex together for the bow servo?

Martin
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

bbdave

« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2008, 08:54:30 pm »

Thanks Martin i initialy used waterproof cyno then i went over all the joints with plenty of silicone it's not pretty but should keep the water out. hopefully she might be ready for the mayhem weekend ::)

probably not a question for here but i've found that now the servo is in place it chatters in use but it worked fine before being stuck in what could the reasons be non of the other servos are doing it just the bow.

Dave

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2008, 09:05:40 pm »

To test if the servo or leads are faulty, have you tried plugging in another servo to that channel ?

Ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2008, 10:16:29 pm »

Test it for a few minutes every day as it may me that horrible vapour that silicon sealant gives off, it sometimes dirties up the contacts, in particular the position sensor potentiometer inside the servo. A few 'end to ends' should clean it up.
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

bbdave

« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2008, 11:09:21 pm »

Cheers Martin i never knew it did that! every day is a day at school

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2008, 09:22:50 am »

Silicone bath sealant is air curing and contains formic acid, hence the acidic odour, this stuff can be very corrosive and may affect electronics under certain conditions.

bbdave

« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2008, 05:58:31 pm »

I've been operating the servo now each day and it has improved a greatly so that was obviously the problem O0

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2008, 04:44:39 pm »

Hi BBD, sounds like the pot wiper arm may have tarnished slightly so perhaps your continued operations may have cleaned it a bit but you may find it does it again if the boat is layed up for a while. Suck it and see as they say!
Good luck with your project.
Chris

bbdave

« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2008, 04:20:54 pm »

Been busy lately so not had the chance to upload the pics but she's practicaly done now only really the anttena to put on she has been in the pond and everything seems ok at the moment so i may get to the lake this week fingers crossed for the weather so heres the pictures up to today.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2008, 04:47:21 pm »

You have been busy!  :o

bbdave

« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2008, 05:36:28 pm »

See what happens when theres nothing on telly and bobs not around buying tea!

bbdave

« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2008, 06:04:40 pm »

A week ago finaly went to the big lake she performed well but i'm goin to trim her lower to make sbmerged running easier i only got one pic as i was to busy playing and enjoying myself O0

i'll try to do more tomorrow if i'm not busy again  ::)

Made it to 80 (25p Richer now)

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2008, 07:11:06 pm »

You had better not be too busy tommorrow it's your turn to buy the tea  :police:
                                                                         Cheers
                                                                             BobB P.S. my pics are quite good and the video

Spell checked just in case the spelling Police are about
I'm not old I'm mature middle aged

Tom_DK

« Reply #41 on: June 11, 2008, 07:31:37 pm »

All the bits have arrived today so the build can start. after many hours of reading and looking on the web i have decided to copy a method i have seen for constructing a new tech rack whih i think will be easyier than modifying the orriginal with this in mind i have bought a bayonet ring for wtc.

Dream arts tower deck and bayonett ring.

Engel tank with proportional control. and the centre sections cut ready for the masks.

I have some 4mm acrylic to make the tech rack i am copying this chaps idea which looks straight forward enough as long as i take my time. What could possibly go wrong???? :-\

http://media.putfile.com/u47-static-conversion

The vid' is mine  :D.
Today I would do some of the work in an other way. Most of all I would choose PVC rather than acrylic. Acrylic breaks to easy.
After finished my static conversion I had to mount a LR2 Lageregler because its impossible to control the sub without. Without LR2 then boat bounces up and down when in a dive.
I decided not to use the stern serveo and rudder. Its running better without.
But very interesting to build a static diving sub. A lot more challenges as you can't always know the results from your choises.

Regards,
Tom

silent running556

« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2011, 07:37:30 pm »

I've started on this boat too, certainly room for improvement on the instructions side of things and better pictures too.

silent running556

« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2011, 08:21:42 pm »

What radio system do you use on your boat mate? My batteries came today and i need the radio now.

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2011, 10:43:59 am »

You want a 40mhz set with a minimum of 4-channels, but preferably 6-channels or more, this will give you the flexibility to add more functions later on.

If you intend to expand your fleet a computer TX can offer some benefit, but not as much as some would have you believe.

Manufacturers I recommend are Futaba, Hitec and Multiplex. Be wary of unbranded 'cheap as chips' sets unless they have been thoroughly tested in the field. Submarines place extra special demands on reception quality so you want the best you can get.

Dual conversion receivers appear to be worth the extra beer vouchers.

Mankster

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wheelerdealer
    • RC Model Submarines
« Reply #45 on: March 19, 2011, 11:31:22 am »

The 8 channel Robbe (Futaba) F14 is particularly good value for a non computer radio http://www.hobbydirekt.de/Robbe2/Robbe/Fernsteuerungen/F14-4-8-1-40MHZ-Robbe-1-F4039-F4039::80968.html
and can be expanded as needed with various switches and sliders etc...

Davy1

« Reply #46 on: March 19, 2011, 12:47:58 pm »

Looks like very good advice, to me, in the previous 2 posts.
If you are feeling cautious buy 2 ! 
(I can't see the supply of 40MHz equipment becoming very easy in the future.)

silent running556

« Reply #47 on: March 20, 2011, 11:35:33 pm »

Well i've ordered an F14 as advised, any idea of an ESC? as the Rokraft ones seem to be evading me.
I've got the Robbe 6v 5ah batteries for the U-47. Thanks. Ian.

Mankster

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wheelerdealer
    • RC Model Submarines
« Reply #48 on: March 20, 2011, 11:58:58 pm »

Get this one http://microgyros.com/electronic_speed_controllers.html
I have about 4 of them now.

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #49 on: March 21, 2011, 10:38:15 am »

They also have a built in throttle failsafe- very handy for submarines.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 22 queries.