Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fishing Boat Registrations  (Read 2976 times)

westcoaster

• Full Mayhemer
Fishing Boat Registrations
« on: February 12, 2008, 04:03:06 pm »

Just a few lines to tell you about the excellent service I had from Barrys Model Lettering. After a bit of consultation via e-mail I ordered the lettering and it was delivered in 24 hours. Just what I wanted and easy to apply. There are some pics attached to show you the results. Thanks to Barry for his help and super service.
As far as the boat herself is concerned there is still a bit of rigging to do, deck lights to fit and some small detail to add. Then there is the vexed question of weathering - how much is enough, if you know what I mean. I worry about starting it, then feeling that I've overdone it - and its too late then. Many of the boats in the Scottish fleet are very well kept, despite the hard life that they (and their crews ) lead, so, rust from stem to stern is not what I'm after. Your views welcomed.
Best Wishes
Douglas

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Fishing Boat Registrations
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 04:13:04 pm »

Well done on a great build , as for weathering there are hundreds of photos of boats from new painted up to being very very rough looking ( just before a repaint ) so just go as far as you feel comfortable with. Have a look at the over 9.9m Scotland gallery in Trawlerphotos and you'll be able to work out where the worst of the wear is and where the paint never usually gets roughed up
Davie Tait,
Scotland

bobdoc

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2008, 04:43:04 pm »

Nice job. westcoaster

I am posting some photos from Macduff taken in summer 2006 showing a range of weathering.

Bobdoc

dan

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2008, 06:27:15 pm »

hi, i need to find some lettering for my latest model, could you please send me his email address, thanks

westcoaster

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2008, 06:59:00 pm »

Dan, you'll find the details if you look in the Traders Directory on here

japottinger

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2008, 10:44:21 pm »

Please just do not overdo the "weathering" effect on Scottish fishing boats. Apart from the obvious scuffing and rust on the shelterdeck sides where the trawl boards are housed most skippers are pretty keen to keep the paint work tip top.  Not to be compared to the deep sea trawlers which in most cases were company owned and thus did not have the same proprietory interest in appearance etc.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2008, 07:38:49 pm »

Please just do not overdo the "weathering" effect on Scottish fishing boats. Apart from the obvious scuffing and rust on the shelterdeck sides where the trawl boards are housed most skippers are pretty keen to keep the paint work tip top.  Not to be compared to the deep sea trawlers which in most cases were company owned and thus did not have the same proprietory interest in appearance etc.
Nice to see you on this forum. Thoroughly enjoyed your "Gorgon" article in MSW. Now you have fired me out of a torpor, did you get the originals from Dundee Archives? Your plans are a little too vague for the scale I wish to build at. Bryan Young.
Notes from a simple seaman

japottinger

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2008, 09:11:06 pm »

Ref Gorgon,

I got the lines plan from Dundee, after I had drawn them "out of my head" so to speak as I had not considered asking them for plans!
In the event I did not have to modify much. The GA plan I got shows an "inside" profile view, which takes a bit of guessing to construct the extrernal view, need to make a lot of use of the avialable photos.
Contact is Ms Angela Lockie of Dundee Archives, most helpful. Tel 01382 434825
Good luck,
Jim
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 22 queries.