Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Empress Liner  (Read 2417 times)

GG

Empress Liner
« on: February 13, 2008, 11:27:06 am »

Whilst mulling over the loss of my last local model shop and wondering where I was going to get all the materials needed to scratch build models, an idea was formed.  Please do not shout "use the Internet!" as I prefer to see and feel items before buying rather than hope that someones electronic descripition is accurate or even vaguely related to reality.  This is especially true of materials like timber where the size, finish and grain pattern can play a large role in a models successful construction.

The idea was to try to build a model solely from the materials avalable in  local DIY store.  A simple pusher-tug had been built this way some years ago but a more "ship like" model was wanted for this project.  In the end I fell back on an idea that had been floating about in the back of my mind for a few years, an ocean liner.

After a few false starts with designs based upon modern vessels, which always seemed to look unattractive or even downright ugly, a vessels from the 1920-30's period was chosen.  A little more work and something based on the Canadian-Pacific liners of this period was drawn up.

Using a simplified design, the DIY sourced lumber soon created a model about 50 inches (1.25 m) long with a displacement of around 20 lb (10 kg).  The scale is something like 1/144 but some features might be closer to 1/100, others 1/200!  Construction gave no serrious problems once I accepted that my favourite Swann-Morton hobby knife had to be replaced by the products of Messrs Stanley, Bosch and Black and Decker!

With a single screw and generously sized rudder, handling is surprisingly good.  Internal illumination plus sound effects are planned for some evening/night sailing.  Other "lumber" models are now being planned.

Capt. Spaulding

• Full Mayhemer
  • Hurray for Captain Spaulding, the African explorer
Re: Empress Liner
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2008, 05:27:46 pm »

Well done, GG.  An inspiration to us all, particularly those of us who agree with you and want to see the products we buy, rather than rely on dealers out in the electronic ether.

Can we have some details, please, aboiut the materials you used? Perhaps some more photos? Looking forward to whatever you might have in store.

GG

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2008, 09:02:25 pm »

To be honest, this model was embarrasingly easy to build but, only after I had thought long and hard about it.  In other words, most of the mistakes were made in my "thought build" (a modellers version of a scientists thought experiment) before I reached for any tools.  A few mistakes still crept through, perhaps a good job as I've always vowed to give up this hobby when I become perfect at it.

The hull structure was made from some accurately cut and planed pine.  This was more expensive than I had hoped but other types of wood were poorly finished and often bent.  To keep the wood thickness to a sensible size, the hull bottom, decks and bulkheads were made from butt-jointed pieces.  The hull sides were covered with what the DIY stores humourously call "plywood" but it is OK provided you can avoid tearing the surface veneers.

The model was finished off using the "that looks about right" principle.  The less charitable might suggest that I infact combined the "stand a long way off scale" idea with a "must get some new glasses" situation.  But, it looks reasonable, was great fun to build and is a pleasure to sail.  Well, apart from having to deal with all the spectators who keep asking me if it is the Titanic!!!
GlynnG

Capt. Spaulding

• Full Mayhemer
  • Hurray for Captain Spaulding, the African explorer
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2008, 01:49:56 pm »

Thanks for the information, GG. Did you work from plans, and if so, are they readily available? (Hmmmmm, he said tugging at his chin, I seem to recall that a gentleman with a name very similar to GlynnG has drawn up a plan or two...I may even own some of his books.)     

GG

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2008, 10:28:21 am »

The plans and construction article are with the editor of Model Boats, to be published later this year I hope.
GlynnG

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2008, 08:33:02 pm »

Just seen the latest Model Boats Magazine Glynn, excellent job sir!
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 22 queries.