Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Flying Fish  (Read 3922 times)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Flying Fish
« on: February 13, 2008, 06:33:33 pm »

Saw this down the lake today....
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Flying Fish
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2008, 08:44:57 pm »

Thats a chinese poor quality boat,poor inferior gas motor and poor quality hull not to mention the hardware.Lots of people have been burned by these boats,and duped into paying out lots of money for it to only last one or two runs on the water.People see the shiny paintjobs and think they look good but when they start falling appart they realise they should have bought from a more recognised dealership in the first place.Its actually a very cheap copy of the aquacraft v24 hull and the motor is renowned for its poor quality ,there are literally hundreds of threads on these boats on various forums all saying the same thing,i wouldnt recomend it to anyone its a total waste of money.

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2008, 09:51:40 pm »

Obviously not what you wanted to hear but just want to save you or anyone else some money and heartache  :o

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2008, 04:28:02 am »

Well this one seem to rum extremely well ..... :-\
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2008, 08:13:26 am »

I guess it depends what you call extremeley well?,i doubt it will go more than 25 mph to be honest 30 with a bit of luck maybe.The main thing is they arent built well at all the glass is usually thin,so thin you can see through it.One hit and its bye bye boat,the motors arent much good as the carbs are not great.I know a cpl of people who have owned boats with that exact motor and they all seem to say the same things.Most end up buying zenoahs and in the end the boats cost more than it would have cost to buy one with a zenoah in the first place.i think the motor is a fuji motor do some searches on the net and see what people say about  them .it might be this one ,and if so the casting of the motors is weak and the tuned ipes that come with some of these motors can be heavy and cause the area round the exhaust manifold to crack and ive seen where the jug itself has come apart due to stress caused by the weight of the pipe etc.The one in the pic shows a canister muffler which in itself limits the power.Just trying to save you some money in case your thinking of buying one.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXFKY5

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2008, 08:45:00 am »

No, not thinking of buying one, hence "Saw this down the lake today...."

I though it was OK for what the bloke had paid for it, not spectacular and probably not a race winner in it's current form but then again it not a race boat. It didn't have a tuned pipe, racing prop, racing setup, the smaller of the two engine options, no power trim, no mixture control.... but I thought for someone that wants a big petrol boat that you can just grab out of the garage-'n'-go, pre setup and tested before you buy it, uses standard radio gear, handles well, (I bet it's a great rough weather boat!), pull start, auto clutch, very clean and simple layout inside....
So yeah, I though it "seem to run extremely well ..... " for what it is....... not for what it isn't.  O0

Each to their own I guess....  ;)

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2008, 10:10:08 am »

It wont last a season most likeley and for 250 to 400 pounds which is roughly what they cost you would be better going electric or even nitro and getting a better boat.You can get ready to run boats with a zenoah for between 450 to 600 pounds from the states ok you will pay duty but still well worth the money and you will have a boat that would be well capable of running 40+ mph.Pluss you will have a company that will stand behind its products and replace any broken or damaged parts along the way unlike the companys that sell those boats on ebay from china.Just saying those boats are junk in my honest opinion but hey anyone buying one will soon find that out.As you say each to there own.My boating buddy has just bought a cat from dave at prestwich almost rtr for maybe three times what that guy will have paid for that boat but the cat does 60+ mph and dave stands behind his products 100% i would rather buy from people like him than the companys selling those any day.Heres some rtr packages from the states compare what you get for the same money or just a bit more than you would pay for that china boat.Even with import duty its worth the extra money for peace of mind and reliability in my book.
http://www.easycart.net/whobbies/Ready-2-Run.html
or try this one from dave a quallity hull and motor all the hardware but no radio but you can pick a good fm radio up cheap enough.
http://www.prestwich.ndirect.co.uk/deepvboats.htm

w3bby

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2008, 06:15:33 pm »

Whatever floats your boat  O0 Even if this isn't the best entry boat to gas boats it is a start. One only hopes that the boat will give him the desire to continue and move onto to other (better) craft.

Forum discussion (other boards) on these boats has not been without criticism, however they are a cheap entry boat and one presumes the guys that buy these have done their research. If they know what they are buying and have made a conscious decision NOT to spend big money until they see if they enjoy boating good on them. If this has been sold by a "good" salesman one can only hope the buyer will not be too disappointed when a homebuilt woody or a "real" boat whips their b*** and gives up. This also applies if the boat has numerous problems and there is no one around who can help.

Thin layups can be strengthened, bad seams can be taped, worn out hardware can be replaced.... by this time an investment in a quality hull, motor and hardware probably seems cheap in comparison.

BJ

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2008, 03:37:13 pm »

I ended up with something like that boat courtesy of a mate when he went to Wings'n'Wheels last year. It would not have been my choice but he persuaded me that it was worth it. Where was I? - standing the cost of meeting up with family at an Oxford hotel.
The engine is the same as J Perkins Distribution's DZY (£85).
The hull/deck joint line got 200ml of GRP resin poured down each side to beef up the joint line.
The Tupperware radio box got the boot and so did the 27 meg radio.
Made a couple of trim tabs to correct its lean.
Reshaped the crappy shark fin on the canopy.
Stuck an autodrain in the transom (and found it runs DRY)
Peeled off as much of the loose paint as possible (Isuzu Cargo Yellow) and threw a couple cans of cheap white paint at it.
Took it down my duckpond, started the engine and threw it in and thought :
"Ain't this nice  - no batteries, no starter, no glow stick - just a boat and a Tx. I can quite understand why a friend has gone to petrol only.
Having said that I also thought that I have a 3½cc that will see the pants off this boat.
.... and Mr D you have an email.

Biscuit

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2008, 11:08:04 pm »

Hi,  A lot of these hulls on ebay at the moment, just the hull and nothing else, would it be worth buying one and sticking my gear in it, seen the hull and its way far stronger than my shockwave.
Thanks
Biscuit

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2008, 11:35:10 pm »

in one word id have to say NO, ive heard a guy on rcu say he tried a zen in one and it couldnt handle the speed it got too uncontrolable but its your choice.Its also a small narrow engine bay area not easy to work with and almost impossible to mount a tuned pipe in unless you do away with the hatch and use a wrap to centre header  ??? just my opinion take it or leave it mate.
mart

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2008, 11:41:14 pm »

for the price of that hull you can get one of these monos on this site similar to arrow shark  a very fast hull will handle high 50s to 60 mph also look at the falcon cat also sold as mercury which my mate has and theyre exellent cats very fast too.he also bought his lad the phantom cat from here and reckons its good quality ,thats electric though.
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Promise-Hobby_boat-hull_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQfsubZ14959099QQftidZ2QQtZkm

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2008, 08:41:32 am »

OK, just for argument sake;

Lets say I want a big boat to play with every now and then. I live near unrestricted water and would like a big petrol boat with pull start, something nice and easy, no bother just charge the radio, fill up and go. I've got £400 to spend but don't want to build anything.... what do you recommend?

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2008, 12:22:41 pm »

Lets say I want a big boat to play with every now and then. I live near unrestricted water and would like a big petrol boat with pull start, something nice and easy, no bother just charge the radio, fill up and go. I've got £400 to spend but don't want to build anything.... what do you recommend?

Buy omra85's off of him, he never wins any races with it and he could do with the money so he can build a real [scale] boat.
Sorry Danny, couldn't resist it.
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2008, 03:01:00 pm »

If its quality then id say go for a super g from warehouse hobbies its aircooled but a fantastic boat and motor,its been arround a few years and stands the test of time.I know of a few guys who run these over the pond and they all say the same bullet proof hulls and service second to none from Tony .sure you will have shipping costs on top and some tax but for the money they are hard to beat,pluss you will have a boat to be proud of.400 quid for the boat your talking about in my opinion is wasted money.
http://69.49.183.35/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=SuperG

glennb2006

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2008, 03:31:22 am »

If its quality then id say go for a super g from warehouse hobbies its aircooled but a fantastic boat and motor,its been arround a few years and stands the test of time.I know of a few guys who run these over the pond and they all say the same bullet proof hulls and service second to none from Tony .sure you will have shipping costs on top and some tax but for the money they are hard to beat,pluss you will have a boat to be proud of.400 quid for the boat your talking about in my opinion is wasted money.
http://69.49.183.35/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=SuperG

For £400 it is tricky. To answer Martin's (Not Mart) question on the £400 ready to run boat, the choices have to be secondhand, or build a wooden kit. I think you will be struggling to get something good, probably end up with a heavy old lump of wood with a strimmer motor in it that does 20MPH if you are lucky, and there is not that much point in one of those.

So, Martin, the hull you brought to attention initially with this post, most likely, as Ian alluded to, does have a role to play, and might just be a bit of a springboard into the hobby that some need.

I think everyone knows they are not going to be the fastest thing on the lake, but they can still be some fun, especially if there is more than one there.

Glenn   

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2008, 09:40:16 am »

whatever you say mate  ::) all i can say is my woody is neither heavy bare hull was 8lb and its a big wide boat 48" long 16" wide nor is it  slow it clocked 28 mph on the speedo with the strimmer motor and that was without a pipe so id say 30s is possible no probs.its also ran for over a year no maintenance just fill tank and go apart from shaft lube of course.that motor in the fish will be lucky to last 12 weeks never mind 12 months,seen it all before buyer beware is my opinion.best place for it is the bin not on the lake although the motor would make a good anchor  {-).
Mart

RantandRave

• Full Mayhemer
  • ...don't get me started!
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2008, 10:57:07 am »

I think you're missing the point Mart. A boat like this is just a start in petrol!

It's never going to be a race winner but it's something that may intice you to 'have a go', if you like it, you may start tweaking and adding bit until the performace comes up a bit. Not many people have the time, money or inclination to source all the "right bits" to make 'a great race boat' and certainly not for £400 in Britain!

So your only option for someone on a limited budget or time or skill is, as Glenn says;

1. A boat like the Flying Fish off ebay,
2. 2nd hand
3. Stay at home and watch telly.

And why wouldn't "that motor in the fish will be lucky to last 12 weeks never mind 12 months", strimmer engines are built to withstand a lot more punishment than in a model boat! Most strimmers are used 3 times a year, thrown in a damp shed, never maintained, run at full throttle on and old petrol & oil that handy and run at full throttle from cold!

Buy one, have a go, you never know we may get some new blood into the hobby!

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2008, 11:44:34 am »

My point is if some newbie buys that boat he will fast lose interst in boats in my opinion,my woody has a strimmer motor in it that boat doesnt its a cheap copy of a zen and its called a fuji and they are known for poor quality the carbs junk and almost untunable ,the coil also restricts its rpm how do i know because ive seen it on a hundred threads on another forum.You dont have to buy from the uk  the web is a good place to get great deals from abroad where the pound is stronger than the dollar so you get more for your money.Im done with this thread now,im trying to save some poor kid or his dad some cash and point them in the right direction so they stay in the hobby not get fed up and move on,weve seen it with cheap rtr cars and planes as soon as they break they get fed up never to return.
Mart
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.112 seconds with 22 queries.